Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #436
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
do you all really travel in the snow? isnt it too slippery on paved roads or are you going 20mph? i want to do this with my dr350 but i dont want to die from sliding every 10m or turn my 1/2 hour trip into 2 hours.
firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #437
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
do you all really travel in the snow? isnt it too slippery on paved roads or are you going 20mph? i want to do this with my dr350 but i dont want to die from sliding every 10m or turn my 1/2 hour trip into 2 hours.
Depends on the road as for how fast you can go on it.
Hard packed snow isn't that bad if there's ruts to rail in. Fresh and loose isn't bad if it's a wet snow. If it's dry snow, it's worse. (much less snow in tread to snow traction)
F.W.I.W. I'll take back roads that aren't traveled to and from work...NEVER the highway where people force you to go at their pace.
You need to be able to go at your pace and no one elses'.
As far as speed is concerned overall, it's more a matter of how you and your bike is equiped and interact.
I've been on the same basic model now since 1991 so my DR650's are like a second skin to me and I can predict what they're going to do.

Now that I'm 20 miles from work instead of 10, I'll probably take the cage if I KNOW 100% that it's going to snow while I'm there. Being the sole provider I can't afford to be out of work with any injuries anymore.
Still, if we get clobbered on my day off....YIPPEY! I'm going snow riding around the hood.
When I was younger and all I had was my DR, you bet I commuted to work every day unless they shut the plant down.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #438
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
doable

Studded tires are the solution. I prefer 100 studs on the front and 50 on the rear, of the self-tapping style. Traction on dry pavement is still very good and they keep you on the road where there ice or snow. You just need to slow down a bit. I don't usually drive in the middle of a snow storm, but I do carry with me a car snow chain modified to fit my rear tire, which insure great traction if you should get stuck. Staying warm is important too to avoid losing concentration. Electric gear seems perfect. On when you drive fast, off or low, when on deep snow because your overheat quickly. Careful however with the amount of electric gear. My Suzuki dr650 does not have a powerful enough generator for running more than a jacket.
avianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #439
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
F.W.I.W. I'll take back roads that aren't traveled to and from work...NEVER the highway where people force you to go at their pace.
As far as speed is concerned overall, it's more a matter of how you and your bike is equiped and interact.

I got really comfortable with my setup and would ride in traffic, on the highway, on busy streets, etc. in the snow. I don't recommend starting there at all. I don't even recommend trying to get there, really.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #440
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
That general is a car tire isn't it? Looks really square and hard to turn with. (?)

yep, a car tire (205/50-17)

car tires look square with no weight on them, but they are radials and flex just like a radial morocycle tire, initial turn in is just as easy as with a bike tire, the only difference is that I have to continue to hole the countersteer thru the corner

so far, I got about 1000 miles on the car tire in back, it was an experiment that so far has turned out waaaay better than my expectations

I'm a darkside convert for sure
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #441
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post

I got really comfortable with my setup and would ride in traffic, on the highway, on busy streets, etc. in the snow. I don't recommend starting there at all. I don't even recommend trying to get there, really.

You're braver than me. Around here on the highways in the snow...the freaking "I'M SUPERMAN BECAUSE I DRIVE AN SUV"....drivers will push you down the road at 90mph even with 2 inches on the roads.
I'm not comfortable with those speeds on the DR in the snow.
My top speed has been 60 and that was dicey on hard packed highway after 2am witn no one else on the road.

Next year = compressor+stud-gun= an even safer set-up.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #442
shu

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
You're braver than me. Around here on the highways in the snow...the freaking "I'M SUPERMAN BECAUSE I DRIVE AN SUV"....drivers will push you down the road at 90mph even with 2 inches on the roads.
I'm with you, rivercreep. I've ridden in snow and it can be fun, but anytime you drive in snow you see a lot of little 'fender-benders' between vehicles. No such thing as a fender-bender on a bike- you're probably going to the hospital. Not worth the risk to me.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #443
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
I find just the opposite if it is light snow or after a heavier snow is finished. The main roads stay clear or are cleared quickly in these cases so that it is basically like driving in rainy conditions - just stay around the limit, most other traffic slows down a little too. Backroads have the ruts and frozen karst-like landscapes that make travel at 25 feel hazardous even without traffic.

Of course I am in an unusually bicycle friendly town, and people seem to be appreciative of anyone using low-impact transportation. Even the SUVs are mostly just poor drivers, not totally conceited a$$hat$.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #444
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
The pirelli mt21 rallycrosses are great as far as I can tell. I was confused as to what you guys were talking about saying it was a car tire. Its rounded and corners great so far...ill keep you posted
tlong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #445
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlong2 View Post
The pirelli mt21 rallycrosses are great as far as I can tell. I was confused as to what you guys were talking about saying it was a car tire. Its rounded and corners great so far...ill keep you posted
The tire in question was in post 431, not about the pirelli...it was about that General tire.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #446
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
comparing apples top apples ( same rubber/tread, etc) I agree

however, good winter rubber that stays soft and pliable even well below zero is not available in the right skinny sizes

last winter, I ran studded Karoo Ts, stock V-strom sizes 110/80-19 F & 150/70-17 R , this winter, the Karoo T in front, but in back, a General Altimax Artic 205/50-17

so far, the wider tire is performing better, why, its a tire that's designed for winter conditions, soft rubber that doesn't need to heat up, good tread and sipes, a few weeks ago, I was in some mud, initially, going darkside was just a winter experiment, but so far I'm liking it for everything except uneven pavement and I try avoiding pavement anyway

I took a spin on the Kanc yesterday

the rear tire above....
Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #447
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
the rear tire above....
oh, i see now, thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #448
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

tire update

So I thought i would let everyone know about how the pirelli rallycrosses are working. Ive got about 400 miles of snow street and offroad on them and they seem to be a good tire for this. They are great in the slush and fresh stuff since the knobs are tall, and the front digs down to the street pretty well. On hardpack i dont like to drive too fast, but these have actually given me a lot more confidence on it and im definetely going to be riding all winter here near chicago. They do great on grass, dirt and gravel when its got up to 12 inches, but any more than that and the light dr200 doesn't hook up with the ground and you spin a lot. Ive only done one lowside in a parking lot while testing the limits, and I had to push them to make it happen, so heres a very satisfied rider, definitely a great tread for the job
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #449
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,775
I didn't have great luck with my studding this year. Many of the studs stuck out too far and didn't seat right. I installed my tires today and rode around the neighborhood to seat them. It worked pretty well! I'll see if I can't get a pic after a little more riding.

Here's one of the studs sticking out

Dysco screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 07:36 PM
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #450
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Eek The risk of being too slef confident

Today I have found the limits of my winter set-up. I was riding on a non maintained road completely iced up, the sun was shining and the bike was feeling so well planted that I started to go faster and faster. On a curve I went down, without even having the time to realize what was going on. All the sudden my shoulder and my legs were sliding on the ice, with the bike in front of me, until we eventually stopped on a snow bank.
Thankfully all the protection worked and I did not hurt myself, except for my left fingertip, which got squished by the clutch lever (hopefully it is not broken: it is time to buy a set of good hand guards!). The bike is fine: just a bent shift lever and a scratched left engine case.
What happened was that my front tire lost traction all the sudden (even if it is studded) and there was no time to regain control.
Just a remainder that we are pushing the limits riding motorcycles in winter-land
avianello is offline   Reply With Quote