Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #451
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,013
We have snow today so I took our bikes out for a ride. Both WR250Rs have brand new knobbies- one studded, one not.

The bare tire start...

Dysco screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 01:27 PM
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #452
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianello View Post
Today I have found the limits of my winter set-up. I was riding on a non maintained road completely iced up, the sun was shining and the bike was feeling so well planted that I started to go faster and faster. On a curve I went down, without even having the time to realize what was going on. All the sudden my shoulder and my legs were sliding on the ice, with the bike in front of me, until we eventually stopped on a snow bank.
Thankfully all the protection worked and I did not hurt myself, except for my left fingertip, which got squished by the clutch lever (hopefully it is not broken: it is time to buy a set of good hand guards!). The bike is fine: just a bent shift lever and a scratched left engine case.
What happened was that my front tire lost traction all the sudden (even if it is studded) and there was no time to regain control.
Just a remainder that we are pushing the limits riding motorcycles in winter-land
Glad you're OK. It pays to be a little conservative but it's always hard not to push it when your confort level rises.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #453
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
More studs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Glad you're OK. It pays to be a little conservative but it's always hard not to push it when your confort level rises.
Thank you. You are right! Maybe it is also time to add more studs. I have tried the Maxi Grip studs and I like them: easier to mount on the front kenda 760 (the screws are much smaller than the aerostich ones and also cheaper ($ 80 for 100 on ebay)
avianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #454
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,312
Well, I tried it today in the snow. I thought the mefo explorers would be the hot ticket for snow riding. Any front input and the front end wanted to wash and tuck. I think the snow was a bit too dry. It wasn't packing in the tires like I expected. That's ok I've got two more days of snow coming, maybe it'll be a bit more wet later. FWIW the back seemed to hook up pretty good. No worse than a conti TKC in the mud.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #455
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Out in the hills, riding in the snow on dirt is one thing (just for laughs), but riding in snow on the street (with cars around) is way out there at (beyond!) the limit of the safety envelope.

I wish you good luck and hope you make it to Spring!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #456
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Does traction control and ABS work in snow?
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #457
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
the haters aren't going to like this, but the ABS on my bike did just fine down a snowy/slushy gravel road. It was kinda steep and i was on tourances, so i only went about 5mph using mostly the rear brake with a little front. Rear would hit a slick spot, chug-a-lug, bike would remain up right and fine. I stopped near the bottom to take this pic w/o any issues.

LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #458
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company View Post
Well, I tried it today in the snow. I thought the mefo explorers would be the hot ticket for snow riding. Any front input and the front end wanted to wash and tuck. I think the snow was a bit too dry. It wasn't packing in the tires like I expected. That's ok I've got two more days of snow coming, maybe it'll be a bit more wet later. FWIW the back seemed to hook up pretty good. No worse than a conti TKC in the mud.
Try limiting the handlebar input by using your legs to steer the bike and experiment with tire pressure. I lower my pressures to 20 psi and below in the winter. Practice, practice...once you get the hang of it you've learned a new skill and are having a blast.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #459
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
As godforsaken awful and scary as it is in the dirt, the ABS on my 800 GS is awesome in the snow, and incredibly awesome riding with the studs on bare pavement.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #460
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
got caught in a snow squall last week on my V-strom, it didn't even slow mw down, studded Karoo T in front, General Altimax Artic car tire on back

snow was 2-3 inches deep within minutes, near whiteout conditions
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #461
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
As godforsaken awful and scary as it is in the dirt, the ABS on my 800 GS is awesome in the snow, and incredibly awesome riding with the studs on bare pavement.
That was my experience too, for the most part.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #462
rider324
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool2

Wow there's some brave souls out there - Just snowed here, only a couple inches but I don't dare ride when the winter weather is like this (slippery). Also might have to do with the fact that I don't have insurance... haha there's an article on http://www.motorcycleinsurance.org about how crazy you have to be to ride in some conditions w/o insurance, you guys would probably appreciate
rider324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #463
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610

still snowing, about 14" so far,

path shoveled to the road

bike is put away, spun up the rear wheel a bit while pushing it in to the basement

the limits are about 6" snow depth, then the front wheel stops rolling and begins plowing, the belly pan of my V-strom begins to drag on the snow

virgin snow is easier than churned & rutted snow, the tire combo I have rear General Altimax Artic (unstudded) and front Karoo T (studded) works well,
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #464
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Blizzard of 2011

Awesome! We've gotten about 2 feet here I think so far? It's still coming down....I've been shoveling all day and had to take a break for a sweet motorcycle ride.....

1985 Honda Shadow vt500c with a Duro HF904 on the rear (not studded) and a Michelin T63 (rear) mounted backwards on the front (not studded). I was *really* really happy with how the bike handles in the snow. Had an absolute blast and got some AWESOME looks from people. Will upload the video from my helmet cam at some point!

The video doesn't reflect how steep and slippery our hill is, and making the 180 degree turn into our driveway (which keeps going uphill in the opposite direction) is, ahem, difficult when conditions are slick.

But LOTS OF FUN!!!!
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #465
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Awesome! We've gotten about 2 feet here I think so far? It's still coming down....I've been shoveling all day and had to take a break for a sweet motorcycle ride.....

1985 Honda Shadow vt500c with a Duro HF904 on the rear (not studded) and a Michelin T63 (rear) mounted backwards on the front (not studded). I was *really* really happy with how the bike handles in the snow. Had an absolute blast and got some AWESOME looks from people. Will upload the video from my helmet cam at some point!

The video doesn't reflect how steep and slippery our hill is, and making the 180 degree turn into our driveway (which keeps going uphill in the opposite direction) is, ahem, difficult when conditions are slick.

But LOTS OF FUN!!!!
He's home from work!!

Awesome.