Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #511
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
That would be an an affirmative.

Wow, nice commute. must be nice to have a garage to park in at work.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #512
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Heh, yesterday's commute was the first time I've gotten the jaw dropping stares in a couple of months. 20 miles, 14" recent snowfall, 0 get-offs.

I think we could set up a scoring system for a friendly little contest. Anyone up for a studs vs. naked rivaly in the spirit of Yankees vs. Red Sox, Packer vs. Bears, Aresenal vs. Tottenham Hotspur, etc...? Ok, so maybe it will be more like UK vs. Zimbabwe or USA vs. Iraq, but I'm a glutton for punishment...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #513
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thumb Helmet with electric shield

For those who have problems with their shield fogging up in this season, I have bought on ebay a GMAX GM44S with electric shield for less than $140 and I am VERY pleased with it! The problem has been solved completely and the visor seems also to be scratch resistant and of excellent optic quality. It seems like a good helmet to use even during summer.
avianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #514
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Ride Report
should I stay or should I go ? fell on my butt walking out to check the road surface, we got about a half inch of snow covered with 1 inch of ice pellets then coated with freezing rain ending about 6am this morning, plenty of salt in the road, the snow & ice covering it is mushy, my tires will handle it not problem,

but I so have to sand a path to the road to walk the bike out

before I left, I checked the forums, at least one rider on the way
the ride begins at Honey Dew

first stop, Kancamagus Pass, sorry, no sign for the photo, it's burried

more photo op

lunch stop

back home, putting bike away

the worse part of the Kanc was probably the first 7 or 8 miles out of Conway, the road surface was completely ice covered ½-1" thick with potholes to bare pavement, pace was only 35, due to car in front of us, and not particularly good conditions to pass only to go maybe 40mph, as we got past the turnoff to the covered bridge the condidtions were much better at least the wheeltrack toward the center was pavement, and as expected, evewrything above 2500 feet was pretty much snow covered with occasional streaks of bare pavement showing, the ride conditions down to Lincoln improved quicklywith lower elevation, Most of the ride temps were in low 30's, at the pass, temps were prolly in low 20's at best, and a little breezy,
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #515
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Yesterday commute

"Interesting" commute yesterday: snow, sleet, freezing rain and lots of ice!
Attached Images

avianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #516
TheDogWeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
That would be an an affirmative.

I am impressed. What was your average speed? I was nervous riding home from class with a skiff of snow, you are a god dear sir.
'01 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)

Dream bike: Triumph Street Triple
TheDogWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #517
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogWeed View Post
I am impressed. What was your average speed? I was nervous riding home from class with a skiff of snow, you are a god dear sir.
Haha, thank you. Average speed varied, mostly due to traffic (which was heavy for the most part), though the road conditions varied as well. On the highway and faster secondaries, traffic speed was reduced to about 40mph (~3:10 in video) which was ok since I was going in a straight line and keeping time with traffic. Any faster though and I could feel my front tire losing it and my rear tire swinging to the right (with throttle).

When I showed the raw footage to my wife she thought people would find it boring since mostly I'm just going straight and I don't crash even though the conditions are for $hit. She thought the lower speed stuff (like ~1:26) where I'm going between 20-30mph would be better since I almost dish multiple times.

When I finally have my get-off on my street, I was going very slow since the street hadn't been plowed at all, which worked out well for me and the bike (and it turns out, the reason I went over was my front tire went into a snow covered ice-coated pothole and I couldn't save the front end).

Full disclosure: this was a technically difficult ride for me. It was awesome, but I was nervous as hell until I was back home in one piece.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #518
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Haha, thank you. Average speed varied, mostly due to traffic (which was heavy for the most part), though the road conditions varied as well. On the highway and faster secondaries, traffic speed was reduced to about 40mph (~3:10 in video) which was ok since I was going in a straight line and keeping time with traffic. Any faster though and I could feel my front tire losing it and my rear tire swinging to the right (with throttle).

When I showed the raw footage to my wife she thought people would find it boring since mostly I'm just going straight and I don't crash even though the conditions are for $hit. She thought the lower speed stuff (like ~1:26) where I'm going between 20-30mph would be better since I almost dish multiple times.

When I finally have my get-off on my street, I was going very slow since the street hadn't been plowed at all, which worked out well for me and the bike (and it turns out, the reason I went over was my front tire went into a snow covered ice-coated pothole and I couldn't save the front end).

Full disclosure: this was a technically difficult ride for me. It was awesome, but I was nervous as hell until I was back home in one piece.
did you have studs on your tires?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #519
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
did you have studs on your tires?
No, I don't have any studs in my tires. Studs would have helped *A LOT* and if I had them, I probably wouldn't have dropped the bike... or maybe I would have. hahaha.

My front tire:

And my rear tire:
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #520
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
No, I don't have any studs in my tires. Studs would have helped *A LOT* and if I had them, I probably wouldn't have dropped the bike... or maybe I would have. hahaha.

ya, studs would help a lot, more than you can imagine

I watched yer video, and could see that you were fighting ruts and slippin and lidin quite a bit

I started running studs last winter, all the difference in the world, I can comfortable keep pace with 4dw SUV traffic in snow up to 6" deep

virgin unplowed snow is easiest, as it gets churned, the rolling friction becomes uneven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrRieJK3aQ
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #521
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Somebody in IL giving away some studded tires:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=645

They are old and the back one looks a little aggresive for streets, but they are free for pick up...
[edit: I might have read too much into it, he says he is selling them early in the post...]

Don Coyote screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 10:52 AM
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #522
ago.xr
il più lontano possibile

Oddometer: 43
Hi.

Hi,
I come from Italy and really love riding in the snow and when I've seen this thread I've not yet sopped to read.
Me and a group of mad guys are going to do for the second year a little meating like the Elefantentreffen in Germany, we have few immagination so we've decided to call it FintenTreffen (in italian it's a pun meaning that it's a false elefantentreffen). It born from those who like more the road you've to do to arrive in Solla (Elefantentreffen) than the bivouac you join once arrived. So we've decided to immagine an alternative tour with the only aim to find good road with snow.
Last year we have been in alps:

Montespluga

Livigno (very cold)

Livigno, flood

This weekend we are going to celebrate the second edition of this FintenTreffen: we will put our tents somewhere in Abruzzo we already don't know...

Hope you've enjoyed the photos.

Bye
ago.xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #523
Mansuel
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Talking

Some shots from Europe.

Munchen 2007 - Deutschland

Mittersil 2009 - Austria

Pereto 2009 - Italy

Campaegli 2011 - Italy

Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #524
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,295
Slicks arent s good in the white stuff. But I had fun gettin there
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #525
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Slicks!?! My balaclava, sir, is off to you...