Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #541
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
Thank you. Sounds like youve seen a tire stud or two. Funny, Ive now seen recommendations on drill bits from 4/32 to 6/32. I reckon rubber has some margin of error. I have buddies at a tire store who are going to let me experiment with their gun. Your technique makes good sense. When you say rubber lube, you referring to the stuff they use to mount the tires?
Roger. Most of the time I have a gallon jug around the place with some in it as I mount all the tires on my own motorcycles as well as some for friends riding through. If not, out comes the rubbing alcohol for some uses, cheap waterless hand cleaner for others. The latter is one of the best lubricants for seating the bead on a tire. Learned that from one of the tire shops in Anchorage many years ago.

When using a stud gun, the lubricant actually is to ease the fingers of the gun getting into the drilled hole, as they spread the opening for the stud to slide in. The stud is then pushed in past the fingers to seat in the bottom of the hole. If the hole is oversize the stud won't be supported as tightly and can come out too easily.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #542
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,658
Quote:
FloorPoor, the warnings I read (maybe from Dysco) were about difficulty in installing the studs due to rubber compound. I remember the info being a bit vague. (??)
Vague, yes. Mostly because I'm the only one I know who tried it and the tire shop I was using couldn't seat studs in 10-ish tries. I pulled them all out and sold the tire. If I'd had my own gun, I might have had more patience with it.

Quote:
Those seem at a doable price point. I remember noting those while perusing the catalogs. Looks like those have approximately 10mm tread depth? Being that you have a set, is it the same depth front and rear? Is that enough depth? Shortest stud that I see Bruno Wessel listing is 10mm length? I sure dont want to end up with a set of tires that wont work. Like I said, if I have reservations about a tire working I'll default to the Trakmaster presuming I come up with a secondary rear wheel.
10mm is the shortest stud size I know of. You can also get 11 and 12mm. The T63 knobs are the same length front and rear and would easily hold a 10, maybe even a 12 if you're planing on seeing snow and ice all the time. They're outside with snow on them right now so measuring the depth now isn't gonna happen.

Quote:
Thank you. Sounds like youve seen a tire stud or two. Funny, Ive now seen recommendations on drill bits from 4/32 to 6/32. I reckon rubber has some margin of error. I have buddies at a tire store who are going to let me experiment with their gun. Your technique makes good sense. When you say rubber lube, you referring to the stuff they use to mount the tires?
I don't think the hole size matters too much if the rubber is pliable enough. There's a special stud lube I've seen, but I don't think it matters much. I used water last time I studded a set without too much drama. Maybe I'd throw a little dish soap in there next time.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #543
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post

I don't think the hole size matters too much if the rubber is pliable enough.
when I studded my Karoo Ts a couple years ago, I hooked up with someone on another forum that had a stud gun, it was his 3rd season on studs, first year he was on Aerostitch studs

when I went to his house, at the end of the day, he said the Karoo Ts were the hardest rubber that he had studded, I know we didn't use a bit larger than 1/8"

I think larger holes accept studs easier, it took a good 100 miles of riding to get the studs seated in all the way, the first 50 miles or so was real sketchy riding, but as they got seated, you can hardly tell the difference

in my front tire, I have about 9000 miles on it and its at about 50% wear, haven't lost any studs on the front tire, I did loose a few in the rear and it's at about 30% tread after one winter season (5000miles) and threw 3 or 4 studs,

still debating if I'm gonna use the front another season @ 50% or get a new front, I'm thinking trying the Aerostitch studs, expensive, I won't be going back to a motorcycle tire in the rear ever for winter, the car tire is just too good in winter conditions. but I may go from the unstudded General Altimax Artic to a studded Nokian Hakappelliitta
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #544
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Has anyone tried a Shinko 244? They have a similar tread pattern as a K270, but are quite a bit cheaper. They also have very good reviews for traction and longevity on bikebandit. I like the 270, but just ordered a 244 front to try(non studded for now) because it was cheaper shipped, than the 270 before shipping. They have gone up in price $10 since the last one I ordered.

As far as the T-63 is concerned, I have one that was ridden about 800 miles and taken off of my friends DR 650 (he is a little odd and won't continue running a tire that has had a puncture) What is the minimum tread depth to studd this tire? 10mm? I have never run a T-63 on my bike, but rode friends with them and they seemed to work quite well, and the price is good. The only problem I have seen with them is the stiff carcass. The same friend who gave me the tire had a flat on a ride and it was a BITCH to get the bead to break, and a PITA to get it to seat again.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #545
luke-gr
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Randyo, thanks for your input. Maybe I'll take a look at the Karoos again due to your mileage. Id be using the Karoo2 on the KLR. Assuming those would work OK. Sounds like Im being a little too paranoid about putting mileage on the studs and wearing them out.

I think FloorPoor and I are having the same question about how to determine if a stud will work and determining the correct length? Do I simply measure the height of the knob and get studs that are that length or less or can the stud sit into the carcass of the tire a bit?

Money is certainly a consideration for me but I dont want to get into a situation where I have a tire that wont work and I'll pretty much be buying on others recommendations. I dont think my local dealer carries Shinkos.

Thanks for all your input.
luke-gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #546
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Randyo, thanks for your input. Maybe I'll take a look at the Karoos again due to your mileage. Id be using the Karoo2 on the KLR. Assuming those would work OK. Sounds like Im being a little too paranoid about putting mileage on the studs and wearing them out.
almost every report I've seen and my own experience is that studs increase the tires tread life
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #547
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
As far as the T-63 is concerned, I have one that was ridden about 800 miles and taken off of my friends DR 650 (he is a little odd and won't continue running a tire that has had a puncture) What is the minimum tread depth to studd this tire? 10mm?
Yes... sorta. I managed to stud a 10" trials tire to put on my scooter a few years back. Those were maybe 8mm, but very pliable.

The rear T-63 has a deeper tread than the front now that I've looked at it. The rear might even hold a 12, but the front is pretty shallow. Still haven't measured it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo
almost every report I've seen and my own experience is that studs increase the tires tread life
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #548
luke-gr
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
Understood. Ive seen that for sure in my truck tires in the past. Not sure why I have been previously determined to install them on another set of wheels. :shrug: Other than mounting/ dismounting at for the season.....I may end up only with an extra front. I suppose it is safer to just put them on at the first sign of snow/ice that way there are no surprises. I suppose I was thinking of trying to keep the studs fresh so they were there when I needed them but probably being neurotic over nothing. I do put 1500 miles a month on the bike right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
The rear T-63 has a deeper tread than the front now that I've looked at it. The rear might even hold a 12, but the front is pretty shallow. Still haven't measured it.
But you still feel like it'll accept a stud? My local tire store doesnt carry anything smaller than a #12 which is 11mm long. But, Im sure they would order for me. I really like the idea of something more along the T63 or a Karoo which hopefully will give me some better mileage and ride better particularly if I install the tires and leave them on. Do I measure the tread depth and that is the longest stud that will fit? Or is there some margin there? Say the front tread groove is 10mm, is that the max length stud that will work? I think that is my final question (cheers from the gallery :))
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #549
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Understood. Ive seen that for sure in my truck tires in the past. Not sure why I have been previously determined to install them on another set of wheels. :shrug: Other than mounting/ dismounting at for the season.....I may end up only with an extra front. I suppose it is safer to just put them on at the first sign of snow/ice that way there are no surprises. I suppose I was thinking of trying to keep the studs fresh so they were there when I needed them but probably being neurotic over nothing. I do put 1500 miles a month on the bike right now.
my office is out in the barn, so I don't have a regular commute, I usually put my studded tires on right after thanksgiving, sometimes we have snow/ice earlier, I do have a Jeep if necessary, but a little snow won't stop me without studs, specially with the car ire on back, I've been runnin an unstudded Karoo 2 all summer, almost time to turn it around and run it backward
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #550
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I took a little snow ride Saturday on the Strom. I was impressed how well it handled. I do think I'd like to look into some studs for this winter. I didn't use any last winter and the KLR and I probably should have. Though I try not to ride when there is snow on the road.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #551
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Is anyone using ACF-50 to protect their bike from salt and corrosion? The few places I can find it online want almost as much to ship it as it costs ($11.00). I'd like to coat both of my bikes before winter.

http://www.skygeek.com/acf-50.html

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #552
luke-gr
n00b

I saw that ACF50 mentioned somewhere in my recent searching....probably on this site. Dont remember seeing much commentary about it. :shrug:

About my tire studding...

I bought a Kenda Trakmaster and had three test studs inserted. Seemed to work fine. Ive now drilled the 90% of the rest that I am going to do (had to stop to fix the switch on my drill). I'll get it back to the shop to finish the other studs on Saturday. I drilled more knobs Dysco did on his tutorial page. I feel OK about that since I have two front wheels so will switch during dry spells.
I did notice some cracking in the rubber around the studs now that the tire has set for a couple days. Does that mean my holes should be a little larger? The guy who installed them did dip the tip of the gun in lube.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #553
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

some crack is ok as long as the studs are still tight

at least it was with my Karoo Ts, in front, 2 full winter seasons, 10,000 miles. haven't thrown a stud on the front tire down to about 40% treadlife

rear was toast after 1 season, it threw a couple studs as well
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #554
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,166
Yes, I was the guy talking about ACF 50...

I use it...one of our air crew guys swore by it too...I sprayed it on in Oct/Nov and cleaned the bike again in March. Just don't get it on the rotors. too slick.

www.skygeek.com

Also, here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...488842&page=19
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #555
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Is anyone using ACF-50 to protect their bike from salt and corrosion? The few places I can find it online want almost as much to ship it as it costs ($11.00). I'd like to coat both of my bikes before winter.

http://www.skygeek.com/acf-50.html
ACF-50 is great. It is very common amongst all weather bikers in the UK where our governments cover the roads in grit and salt that can corrode bikes very quickly. It is expensive compared to, say WD-40 or vaseline, but it works well and saves you a lot of time cleaning/reapplying as it stays on far longer than the alternatives, even when ridden regularly in driving rain/snow.

Process is: Clean your bike properly just before winter and then absolutely douse the bike (brakes aside) in the stuff. It should feel a bit slimy to the touch, even once dry if you've put enough on. End of season, give it a thorough washing off and cleaning. The dirt and crap from winter will come off with what is left of the film of ACF-50. If you experience especially long winters (or are particularly fussy about how your bike looks) repeat this process mid winter.