ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #556
luke-gr
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Boone, NC
Oddometer: 9
Advice for switch on electric vest

I have a Saingear vest which Ive had since 1993 or so. It did not come with a switch. The SAE plugs are not easy to unplug on the fly. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion about adding a switch to it? For sake of simplicity and (especially) economics I'd just like an on/off switch.

I looked around the auto parts stores where there are a multitude of switches but all are designed to be panel mounted not mounted inline in a wire. Lowes Hardware has a rocker switch designed for lamps but I know it is not water proof. Not sure how big of an issue that really is??

Any advice would be appreciated.
luke-gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #557
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
If not, out comes the rubbing alcohol for some uses, cheap waterless hand cleaner for others. The latter is one of the best lubricants for seating the bead on a tire. Learned that from one of the tire shops in Anchorage many years ago.
That's a great tip on the hand cleaner. Widely available in small bottles, and serves double duty in a tool bag, too.
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #558
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,254
And here I thought I was a hard-ass riding through the winter in Vancouver. This thread has some big swingin' balls...
__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #559
aholecop
Adventurer
 
aholecop's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: nj
Oddometer: 59
Cool2 winter riding.

i use heated gear. heated gloves and put my Ural in 2 wd in the snow, it does great donuts!
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #560
luke-gr
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Boone, NC
Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the stud advice.

I got 'em done. I have about 360 miles on the studded tires. Last snow forecast fizzled so no good adventures yet. I did learn that letting the drill bit sit and spin in the tire for a few seconds was key to getting the hole good and cleaned out. Im running a Trakmaster front with #15 stud and Michelin rear with #13s. I'll post back after we get some snow. This December has been far warmer than the last.

Im gonna have to look into some heated gloves. Once it gets into the 20s my heated grips and Polar Hands (Hippo Hands) just dont do the trick. Fingertips get hurting cold. Im not really keen on electric gloves due to the wiring hassles. Im thinking about trying mittens or some other kind of three finger glove. Any suggestions?
luke-gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #561
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 145



This is from a few years ago.
nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #562
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
I got 'em done. I have about 360 miles on the studded tires. Last snow forecast fizzled so no good adventures yet. I did learn that letting the drill bit sit and spin in the tire for a few seconds was key to getting the hole good and cleaned out. Im running a Trakmaster front with #15 stud and Michelin rear with #13s. I'll post back after we get some snow. This December has been far warmer than the last.

Im gonna have to look into some heated gloves. Once it gets into the 20s my heated grips and Polar Hands (Hippo Hands) just dont do the trick. Fingertips get hurting cold. Im not really keen on electric gloves due to the wiring hassles. Im thinking about trying mittens or some other kind of three finger glove. Any suggestions?

http://www.flyncycle.com/Winter_Ridi..._p/glvrd07.htm

And oxford heated grip wraps (hot hands)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #563
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Do you have those gloves? Are they true 3 finger gloves without a 5 finger liner? I've been searching for such a glove for years but the British ones i've found have all incorporated the 5 finger liner (like getting a vasectomy and then using a condom) and been priced absurdly, while friends that have ventured into Deutschland have succumbed to local culture somehow before sending back the Hein Gericke Pathos i've requested. ( I see Flyncycle is out of L and XL. ARGHHHHHH!)

Ths US seems to continue to suffer from quantity-over-quality-itis as they offer nothing in 3 fingers for motorcycles. I had a nice pair of Pearl Izumi lobster gloves that worked wonders for my winter bicycling for over a decade until they fell apart, and now all half-dozen similar style gloves i've looked at for replacement (including the new Pearl Izumi) have the condom/vasectomy design feature of an inner glove liner. Proof that technological progress will produce inferior designs to meet marketing goals...

Along with luke-gr, i'm starting to wonder about simple mittens that might have some crash-worthy considerations...
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #564
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Do you have those gloves? Are they true 3 finger gloves without a 5 finger liner? I've been searching for such a glove for years but the British ones i've found have all incorporated the 5 finger liner (like getting a vasectomy and then using a condom) and been priced absurdly, while friends that have ventured into Deutschland have succumbed to local culture somehow before sending back the Hein Gericke Pathos i've requested. ( I see Flyncycle is out of L and XL. ARGHHHHHH!)

Ths US seems to continue to suffer from quantity-over-quality-itis as they offer nothing in 3 fingers for motorcycles. I had a nice pair of Pearl Izumi lobster gloves that worked wonders for my winter bicycling for over a decade until they fell apart, and now all half-dozen similar style gloves i've looked at for replacement (including the new Pearl Izumi) have the condom/vasectomy design feature of an inner glove liner. Proof that technological progress will produce inferior designs to meet marketing goals...

Along with luke-gr, i'm starting to wonder about simple mittens that might have some crash-worthy considerations...

I honestly can't say what the liner is like, just that I've REALLY been looking at them myself.
As long as there's no insulation in that finger seperator within the glove, I'm thinking it would still be beneficial.

I'm currently using Olympia 2in1's 5 finger gloves.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #565
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,462
Yesterday night was down to 1 degree celsius. Very easy, no need for the heated kit. That was the coldest I've ridden in this winter so far. Normally by now, it would have been lower at some point. Only once did I intentionally avoid riding in really bad weather (1000 mile round trip in snow and ice) by taking the car. Must be a relatively mild winter here in the UK.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #566
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulluser View Post



This is from a few years ago.
Love that video, don't know why, it's just so simple.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #567
freetors
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Collinsville, OK
Oddometer: 788
So what is it actually like riding on fresh, unplowed snow with no ice underneath? I've ridden my mountain bike a couple times but the lack of power was more apparent than anything else. My WR250R has a d606 on the back with the stock tw22 on the front. There are some gravel backroads around here that I think would be beautiful with snow.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #568
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
So what is it actually like riding on fresh, unplowed snow with no ice underneath? I've ridden my mountain bike a couple times but the lack of power was more apparent than anything else. My WR250R has a d606 on the back with the stock tw22 on the front. There are some gravel backroads around here that I think would be beautiful with snow.
It feels kind of like sand. The front end washes out all over the place, you need tons of power to get anywhere, and you lose traction if your speed drops down.
nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #569
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
So what is it actually like riding on fresh, unplowed snow with no ice underneath?
depends on the tires a a good deep lugged knobby I find goes ok until snow gets about 6" deep

the more down low torque you have, the better, it helps getting moving without spinning you get with horsepower


riding on the darkside will give you a 1000% improvement in your abilities
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #570
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer
 
RJP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: 12533
Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
I have a Saingear vest which Ive had since 1993 or so. It did not come with a switch. The SAE plugs are not easy to unplug on the fly. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion about adding a switch to it? For sake of simplicity and (especially) economics I'd just like an on/off switch.

I looked around the auto parts stores where there are a multitude of switches but all are designed to be panel mounted not mounted inline in a wire. Lowes Hardware has a rocker switch designed for lamps but I know it is not water proof. Not sure how big of an issue that really is??

Any advice would be appreciated.
maybe...

Item "TCSW" here: http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.php and use 2 SAE-to-Gerbing convesions connections.
__________________
00 KTM 300EXC (plated)
03 KLX 400R (plated)
04 KTM 950 Adv S
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014