User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #121
wrightstuff
AUTO DOC

Oddometer: 15
Hi guys,new member.
I ride every day,winter or summer,120 degrees or 20 below.Havent ridden in the snow since i got rid of my gs.I have gerbings heated socks,pants liner,jacket liner and gloves.on top I wear cycloak jacket and pants and have some belstaff pants.On real cold days I need to combine the heated grips with the heated gloves and I'm toasty.I have the thermostat for the clothing on my belt and I only need to turn it all the way up when it hits 15 degrees or colder.The wife has a 650 vstrom and I think I will try some snow this year with it.
76 kz900(turbo)
kdx200
wrightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #122
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
I'm considering a Kilimanjaro 4 purchase in the near future. My current jacket has a liner, but a 3/4 length would be a big help I think.

I am also getting some heated grips from Aerostich tonight. Fingers get chilly under 5C at 100kph.

-sun (I get cold now that I'm old) Tzu
Best buy I made for my winter riding. Just insulate the left bar with some elect. tape and run two throttle side grips, or the right bar will be hotter.
Also the link in my sig line has allot of info on this subject.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #123
Sun Tzu
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,206
That's a sweet link.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #124
Komito
back in the saddle

Oddometer: 782
Question NEw Thread???

What are some ideas for starting an extremely cold bike????
Komito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #125
forester
woodswise w/gear

Oddometer: 111
This is a pretty good link and should have a sticky on it. I find some of the info on here questionable. One thing that should be clear to those who have lived on both sides of the divide here in the US, is that all "snow" is not created equal.

We often have wetter snows even in the extreme cold places East of the divide, and that type of snow gets compacted quickly via car tires and turns to ice. Also, we have a large resource of natural salt that is mined regionally, and unlike West of the divide, copious quantities of this oxidizing agent are used on our streets to melt snow - this will also rust chains and pit wheels... Not good!

Also, I urge anyone who has witnessed -20F in the Rocky mountains to come and experience just 0F here in Michigan and figure out for themselves which feels colder. I've been through both, and my money will be on the 0F in Michigan... Not that cold weather has ever stopped my riding - it has always been the white (or black) stuff laying on the surface of the roads.

Either way, just how practical is running 20 miles to town from a very rural area in the snowy winter? Do you think it's practical? I want to believe that it is, but I'm as of yet undecided.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #126
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,576
So winter's coming again. Anyone else actually looking forward to the mercury dropping?

I just got my Hippohands in the mail yesterday, and I'm psyched to try them out. Should be pretty sweet in combination with my 1150's heated grips. The last couple winters I've ridden from Boston (home) to Philly (family) and back for Christmas and New Year's in PA, but admittedly it's never been below 20. So I guess I'm a 3/4 rounder, according to http://www.yearroundriders.com/. Looking forward to rounding out my experience. Ahem.

This winter I'm thinking of doing a lot of Boston - NH White Mts. runs to get some good cold-weather hiking in. I've got an inkling to try for all the 4000+ footers in the Whites in one winter. May well not happen, but the fun is in trying.

space screwed with this post 10-26-2006 at 03:12 PM
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #127
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabasilo
So winter's coming again. Anyone else actually looking forward to the mercury dropping?

I just got my Hippohands in the mail yesterday, and I'm psyched to try them out. Should be pretty sweet in combination with my 1150's heated grips. The last couple winters I've ridden from Boston (home) to Philly (family) and back for Christmas and New Year's in PA, but admittedly it's never been below 20. So I guess I'm a 3/4 rounder, according to http://www.yearroundriders.com/. Looking forward to rounding out my experience. Ahem.

This winter I'm thinking of doing a lot of Boston - NH White Mts. runs to get some good cold-weather hiking in. I've got an inkling to try for all the 4000+ footers in the Whites in one winter. May well not happen, but the fun is in trying.

Ping me if you're up this way, Jake. The VFR's on the road all winter. I just used HippoHands (well, the SkiDoo equivalent) on my trip to Duluth. Never giving them back.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #128
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,576
You bet. I don't remember what SLUTs stands for anymore, but if there's some way to work "Winter Riding" into the acronym, I'm all for it.

I was just looking at your Foggy mask review earlier today. Sounds good ... I'll probably be picking up one of those soon. I've had zero luck with cat crap or the plastic visor inserts.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #129
VESPAsfw3
Year round rider

Oddometer: 143
This is an excellent thread on winter riding. I rode all through last winter here in central Pennsylvania on my Vespa LX150 and it was fine for the daily commute to work. I didn't ride in snow deeper than four inches and I picked my routes carefully because I did not plan to compete with cages on snowy roads. My biggest concern was falling and being run over.

What I ended up with was a sort of daily adventure on the snowy days that required thought and consideration. And I should add that everyone who thought I was nuts for riding a scooter in general became even more incredulous at the thought I was riding in foul weather.

Looking back what interests me most about riding in cold weather is why I do it at all. I posted on my blog a couple weeks ago about this. Here is a link to Exposure Followed by Sanctuary that looks at this. I find for me the same reasons that I would sail in the North Atlantic apply to why I would ride in the winter.

steve
Scooter in the Sticks
VESPAsfw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #130
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester
Also, we have a large resource of natural salt that is mined regionally, and unlike West of the divide, copious quantities of this oxidizing agent are used on our streets to melt snow - this will also rust chains and pit wheels... Not good!
Here in the Great Land we have to import our salt, but DOT spreads it liberally on every hill and at every intersection. Sometimes I think it was better before they started using the stuff.
Quote:
Also, I urge anyone who has witnessed -20F in the Rocky mountains to come and experience just 0F here in Michigan and figure out for themselves which feels colder. I've been through both, and my money will be on the 0F in Michigan... Not that cold weather has ever stopped my riding - it has always been the white (or black) stuff laying on the surface of the roads.
Definitely! Spent my younger years in the southeast corner of your state, and going back for visits I felt colder at 30F there than at zero here at home. Oddly enough, when riding the windchill seems to neutralize the effects of humidity on temperature perception. Riding along the coast with humidity in the 80's, or in the interior with humidity much lower (40 to 50%) I have never noticed a difference within a given temperature range.
Quote:
Either way, just how practical is running 20 miles to town from a very rural area in the snowy winter? Do you think it's practical? I want to believe that it is, but I'm as of yet undecided.
Being that studded tires are severely restricted in Michigan, that white (or black) stuff might be the determining factor. Then again, the traction offered by a good street tire on ice, or a knobby in loose snow, is much better than most of us realize. Success or failure is highly dependent upon how well we adapt our riding style to the slick surfaces.
I recall the time 25 years ago when I was caught unprepared for the 8" of fresh snowfall while bringing a new street bike home. The southbound lane (a two-lane, winding-along-the-edge-of-the-mountains highway) was pretty open from all the traffic coming into the state that day. But the northbound lane was virtually all virgin snow. Everything was fine as long as I could ride in the opposing lane, but whenever I met an oncoming vehicle I had to dive over into the deep, loose, snow. Never a slip, but I had been practicing on snow earlier.
More recently, I hit black ice at 11:00 PM 72 miles from home. The Michelin X-Ice car tire I have on the rear of the Gold Wing did fine, but I was skeptical of the standard ME880 up front. The only reason I initially suspected I had hit the ice was somewhat vague steering (at 55 mph). When I coasted to a stop on a level stretch, my feet slid all over - definitely ice!
Took it easy for the next 13 miles - until I topped out in the pass - then gradually increased until I was holding 45 to 50 on the black ice, being careful on curves to match the speed to the camber so that steering was neutral.
So it can be done, but I'll be really careful in traffic, and will probably restrict most of my riding to daylight hours when cage drivers can spot me more easily.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #131
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
The Michelin X-Ice car tire I have on the rear of the Gold Wing did fine,

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #132
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

This on the rear (size 195/55-16) -

and this on the front (size 120/80-18) -

Have to leave the front fender off until the tire gets worn down to a slightly smaller diameter.
Kind of interesting to watch people's reactions to seeing the big Wing being ridden around in snow-covered parking lots.
Haul Road Primer
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #133
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
So it can be done, but I'll be really careful in traffic, and will probably restrict most of my riding to daylight hours so I don't run into moose or caribou in the dark.
Well, that's most of why I ride primarily during daylight hours.

For those on the fence, keep in mind that I've ridden for 2 winters now and am started on my third. It seems so wrong but it works. If studs are legal in your area, it could be worth a try, beats putting the bike up for the winter.

The only down sides? You don't get that thrill of the first ride of the spring. And you don't get a chance to spend the winter tearing the bike down for a full service.
And the bike will get really filthy.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #134
VESPAsfw3
Year round rider

Oddometer: 143
Riding in the snow can be done but does require more patience and is tiring. I slowly ventured out on snow covered roads last winter and was fine in very modest snow without any special tires on my Vespa.

I did drop the scooter once on my commute to work and it was sort of an eye opening (and humbling) experience. I posted First Drop on my blog Scooter in the Sticks shortly after that incident. It was also the catlyst for my purchased of Tourmaster armored overpants. My 50 year old knee did like smacking the pavement with only polypropelene underwear and jeans between meat and asphalt.

I also would not expect to ride at speeds near what the cages were doing. They drive like there is no snow on the road....

steve
Scooter in the Sticks
VESPAsfw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #135
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Winter Riding

Step 1. Get bike started.
Uh... at 20 below (that's Fahrenheit, = -29C) the Gold Wing didn't want to start. Probably showing more sense than I do.
Looks like a little more research is called for... as well as external heat to aid the cold-weather starting.

Hopefully, we can get to Step 2 later today. Supposed to warm up to zero to 5 above this afternoon.
Haul Road Primer