Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
wesley1117 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Eh? Motorcycle Alarms - which one's actually work?

So I've researched this topic, 3 types of alarm/security systems:

locks - chain's and disk locks

alarms - noise makers, and pagers

GPS - tracking

LoJack is not available in my state.

But anyways - I don't like paying someone yearly for a GPS system if the alarm systems actually work at all. I've read reviews from people that have them and think they work - and I've read reviews from people that say something along the lines of "real thieves aren't deterred by alarms - if they want your bike, they will have it" - which would suggest GPS being the only way to go.

I live in an apartment, so the bike would literally be 10-30 feet from where I'm sleeping - at work it would be in a guarded garage so the only time I'm worried about it is at night when parked outside my apartment. Crooks do exist in my complex too - just had my iPod and radar detector stolen out of my car (accidentally left unlocked ONCE) - but then it occurred to me, "what am I going to do if they do try to steal it in spite of the alarm? I'm not a gun guy - no firearms - by the time the police got there they'd be on down the road.

So - there's my situation, here's my question: How you many of you guys have alarm systems that have been tried and tested? - in other words, have had someone try to steal your bike and it wasn't stolen because you had an alarm? Suggestions?

Thanks!
wesley1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,384
When I had a bike I worried about, I'd use a chain or disc lock. Now days, it's insured and I really don't worry about it.

Around here, if they jack a bike, usually it's put into a van or pick-up and driven away. Haven't heard of a "hot start" ride away in a while.

If you're concerned about a 'hot start' ride away, hide a kill switch somewhere, and use it regularly.....
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet
When I had a bike I worried about, I'd use a chain or disc lock. Now days, it's insured and I really don't worry about it.

Around here, if they jack a bike, usually it's put into a van or pick-up and driven away. Haven't heard of a "hot start" ride away in a while.

If you're concerned about a 'hot start' ride away, hide a kill switch somewhere, and use it regularly.....
SpeedTV ran a piece a few years ago that showed how bike thieves work. Lifting the bike in a van seems to be the preferred method. According to the thieves interviewed in the story, a locked garage is the most effective method of preventing bike theft.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,962
Park next to a Harley, and hope their van only has room for one bike.

Whoops, just looked at OP profile, with a GXSR they might take that over the Harley, I thought he probably had a dual sport bike.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
imho, the real trick is to make you'r bike look like its too much trouble to steal and encourage the thief to pick on some other poor souls bike. bike locks n chains, loud obnoxious alarms, all help 'em to do this. if i didn't have an alarm system already on my bike, i would at the bare minumin install a flasshing red led in the dash.
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
wesley1117 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Cool2

I am trying to sell my GSXR - have a bit more to pay down on it before I can though - unless someone wants to give $7500 for a '07 GSXR 600 with 3300 miles on it...

The bikes I'm considering right now are:

FJR1300A

BMW F800ST

Kawasaki Concours 14

and

Kawasaki Versys

But I'm leaning towards the BMW - so at least that one would come with the coded key thing.

I dunno - I want to be able to have peace of mind while my bike is in front of my apartment, but I think it's inevitable that I won't be no matter how much money I spend on an alarm.

F*ck it - I'm buying a house with a garage.
wesley1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
If you really want some good reviews on ways to secure your bike you should check out some of the British motorcycle sites. Motorcycle theft in the UK is a huge problem and security is a real issue because of it. Datatool alarms are arguably the best, but I don't know if you can get them in the US. We can get some of the same chain and lock combos. Here is a recent review of some through Ride Magazine: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...ain%20test.pdf. The thing about chains is that you need something to secure the bike to whether it's a ground anchor you put in or something else around your place.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,670
Alarm

Get an alarm with a pager.
As for locks...
I recently lost a set of keys and had to remove 2 padlocks. Used my Dremel with a cheap cut off disc. Took a couple of minutes to have both locks off. Considering you can get battery powered Dremels and diamond cut off disc super cheap these days I don't think the lock is going to deter any real thief. Maybe an alarm would work but only if you hear it. No one else will care, hence the pager.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 214
Get an alarm with pager and proximity detector. It lets you know some is getting close to the stuff on the bike. Great peace-of-mind when in a restaurant or the hotel room.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Blinking red light...five bucks!

You can go to a car parts place and they sell, usually in a pack of two, round led flashing lights. My friend and I bought a pack of two and put them on our bikes when we went to Mexico a while back. They just stick on and have a little on/off switch on the bottom. Slide it on..and it has a nice bright red flashing LED light. At night you can see it 100 feet away. I would suspect that the average person would think the bike has an automatic alarm system...and maybe would not mess with your bike. It is worth the five bucks.
I cannot remember the name of the car parts place but it was one of the big national brand name chain stores.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
stephano
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley1117
I'm not a gun guy - no firearms -
Hmmmmm...maybe thats your problem. And from your story of guys stealing your shit...I'm right.

Once saw this Harley that had the coolest alarm system. The owner had a key fob thingy that when the guys was about 5 feet away from the bike, it automatically disables the ignition and activated an alarm. Then when he walks back up to it, its good to go. VERY cool and he never had to touch anything or push any buttons.

Also, I agree with whats already been said. Make it as uneasy as possible for thieves to take your bike. Thieves really dont care to have to work at it. But the amount of effort needed to make that possible...depends on where you reside.

Get a big dog and tie him to it at night... or buy a gun and get a sticker that says "Alarm sound = owner with loaded gun" Bet that helps make up their thieving mind.

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,962
On my cars I used to put a sticker that said:

Poison Gas Alarm System

People used to ask if it was real, so I guess it was doing its job

Probably not very credible for a bike

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #13
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
On my cars I used to put a sticker that said:

Poison Gas Alarm System
A long time ago when I was young and green, I started to dismantle an old commercial refrigeration system. It was charged with anhydrous ammonia and this was released when I released a connection in the refrigerant circuit. The resultant hit of ammonia upon my senses drove me back and far away immediately, never to return! Pretty effective as a human repellent.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote