Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Jas_adv OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Who makes helmets with long-oval interior shape?

The Arai Signet-Q is long oval and I own one that fits great, but I'm looking for a good quality dirt/ dual sport helmet with this shape. Anybody have any reliable info on this? Thanks.
Jas_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
CaptainAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Here you go. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,293
Uvex Enduro is a long-oval (only "ADV" helmet I've tried that doesn't leave a red mark on my forehead). Mine is beat to hell, and I need to replace it, but I haven't found anything yet.

The only negative for Uvex is they don't DOT certify, since they don't really sell to the US market. I don't care about that, but sometimes the police do.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,457
I have an oval head or narrow head shape, yet I find I can wear some of the neutral fitting helmets if they lean towards narrow. I wore Shark RSI helmets for years with zero comfort issues and they are narrow and light. Wish they still made them. The Scorpion R2000 is nice and narrow.

I'm using a Caberg Tourmax now, its kinda of a mild oval fit, really neutral design that will fit most. But, its short front to back like a Nolan flip.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,014
Shoei Hornet DS helmet was a reasonable fit for my long oval head,not sure about the new version 2.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 340
I believe the LS2 MX442 (Motocross) and MX 453 (Adventure) are "long oval" shapes.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Griffin,,, but I do,nt know if they are still in business..
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
To the OP, I love the fit of the Arai Signet-Q and have an LS2 helmet MX453. The fit isn't quite the same as the Arai, but that's the only one out there that has that long oval-ish fit. Hell, even Arai doesn't do long oval in there DS helmets. The darn things are their 'round oval' fit. I don't get it.

Oh and btw, the LS2 MX453 is the same as the Bilt Discovery and the S&S helmet. Just minor differences in the plastics.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post26029359

Baroquenride screwed with this post 04-29-2015 at 11:27 PM
Baroquenride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #9
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 247
Take a look at HJC brand many are sized long oval
Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Guano11
Am I Trending?

Oddometer: 1,420

X-Lite 551 is about as long-oval as a the Arai Signet (well, it's about as long-oval as you're gonna get in an adventure helmet anyway...).
Non-DOT, so you gotta go out-of-country to procure; there's a shop in the UK that ships worldwide. I bought mine on a fortuitous business trip there & it fits my Signet head well.

And as Ron mentioned above, police may raise an eyebrow at its non-DOTness when called to the scene. Insurance companies, too, I suspect -- but it's clearly premium protection, not a puddin' bowl.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
CrookedRaven
Tours and Training

Oddometer: 26
Shoei Hornet works for me also. Arai was too round.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #12
Jas_adv OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Some helpful info gents... thanks!
Jas_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,613
Check out the new Shoei Hornet X2. My head is long front to back and it fits me very well. It's not cheap, but it is the nicest helmet (ADV or not) I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of Arai and Shoei helmets.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
rdecae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
long oval

as far as I have researched, NO dual sport style helmet is long oval (well Signet Q long oval). Many say long oval, but once you try them on, it is apparent they are mid oval designed.

Simple test, I wear a Large in the Arai Signet Q. So when I go to try on a dual sport helmet I always (first try) get a large. So far none have fit me. I always have to go to X-Large.

Icon Variant is supposed to be the closest to Long Oval in a DS helmet. But no local shop has one, so I have not tried that helmet on. Bilt Discovery is mid oval (at least to my head shape). I had to go to X-large in Bilt Discovery model.

I have not tried the two non USA helmets noted above. As all my riding is fire roads DOT is not a big issue for me. I might ride 130 miles in a day, and 20 will be pavement, the rest is fire roads or single track. So DOT as my dual sport helmet would not be a big issue to me.

I am tempted to try the above mentioned helmets, but fear I will be just paying shipping to send them back as they are more mid oval than Long oval.

As noted above the Arai XD4 is noted as mid oval by Arai.
rdecae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
EXACTLY! I see a lot of opinions by folks thinking they have long-oval heads when they really only have round-oval or mid-oval. The Signet-Q is the gold standard people, but it's a pure street helmet. I like the Bilt helmet, but it's no Signet-Q in the comfort department! Shoei doesn't make long oval helmets either, despite what some will say. Again, I reference the Signet-Q as the gold standard of which all others are measured against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdecae View Post
as far as I have researched, NO dual sport style helmet is long oval (well Signet Q long oval). Many say long oval, but once you try them on, it is apparent they are mid oval designed.

Simple test, I wear a Large in the Arai Signet Q. So when I go to try on a dual sport helmet I always (first try) get a large. So far none have fit me. I always have to go to X-Large.

Icon Variant is supposed to be the closest to Long Oval in a DS helmet. But no local shop has one, so I have not tried that helmet on. Bilt Discovery is mid oval (at least to my head shape). I had to go to X-large in Bilt Discovery model.

I have not tried the two non USA helmets noted above. As all my riding is fire roads DOT is not a big issue for me. I might ride 130 miles in a day, and 20 will be pavement, the rest is fire roads or single track. So DOT as my dual sport helmet would not be a big issue to me.

I am tempted to try the above mentioned helmets, but fear I will be just paying shipping to send them back as they are more mid oval than Long oval.

As noted above the Arai XD4 is noted as mid oval by Arai.