Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #211
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Just put in an order for a YS and 2 extra cartridges...
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #212
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'm looking for some input on which version to buy...
I live in North Carolina, and most of my riding is in warm to HOT weather.
In hot weather I currently wear the mostly mesh Olympia Bushwacker retina searing yellow color - size large.

In cooler weather I have a TourMaster Jett2 in Medium - for whatever reason the medium fits perfectly (I figured I'd need the large) - it is mostly black with some reflective tape. I got this jacket as I found that even with a Gerbing heated liner the mesh shell Bushwacker was just too cold for winter riding without extra layers which added extra bulk.

I'm leaning towards the MLV-Y as that would give me 4-season protection when layered over either the Bushwacker OR the Jett2.

On the other hand ... if one of the hit-air jackets would serve in 4-seasons, then I could thin down the wardrobe and just one item to put on in the morning instead of always a jacket + vest. I'm kinda surprised that none of the jackets come in the retina searing yellow ....

Ok I've confused myself enough for tonight ...

Any and all input appreciated.
Thanks!
From your description I would say the MLV-Y would be the best bet for you. All of the jackets are either Summer mesh or Winter water proof, nothing in between. So not really "4 season"
The combination of the jackets you have now and the MLV-Y would offer the best combination of protection and usability
I have only ever ONCE before been asked for a jacket in the HI-Vis color
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #213
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I ve been reading about hit air for 7 years now on and off. How this going to interact with a new neck braces that guys are using? Would it be better to go with the vest type and stick with my joe rocket alter ego 2?
Are you talking about the Leat Brace? Lots of dirt bikers using them and they are good but dont really protect against the clavical injuries, mainly protection for neck injuries.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the vest but that might be self serving . Ask several of the other riders who have posted in the thread what they think about it.

Ultimately it is down to personal taste and choice which is why there are always more than 1 model of anything

Hope you get the answers you are looking for. If not PM me and I will be happy to help
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #214
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Thanks for the pic. It really looked great. Does the Lumidex only available for MLV? I'm thinking of getting the YS full vest...
All of the vests have reflective panels on them. The MLV-R is totally covered in Lumidex and is the reason it is more expensive than the MLV

Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #215
markdrums
Better late than...?

Oddometer: 49
Hi-viz jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
I have only ever ONCE before been asked for a jacket in the HI-Vis color
That's odd - I wouldn't consider any of the jackets unless they came in hi-viz.
To each his own, I guess...
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #216
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrums View Post
That's odd - I wouldn't consider any of the jackets unless they came in hi-viz.
To each his own, I guess...
It is one of the things that keeps the world going round
Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #217
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
It is one of the things that keeps the world going round
Kinda funny...
When I bought my F658GS a little over two years ago I was buying a new jacket as part of the deal. The saleswoman I bought it from, a long time rider, gently nudged me towards the hi-vis ... I was unconvinced. Then she said "Ride home in the hi-vis and watch the eyes of the folks trying to enter the highway from side streets on your way home (about a 3 hour ride). If you're not convinced it makes a difference I'll swap it out for another color at no charge.

Well she was right ... one guy started to pull out in front of me, did a double-take and stomped the brakes, and several other times I noticed less dramatic but similar behavior ... I decided to keep the retina-searing yellow even though it is not quite have the chick magnet that a "softer" color would provide

Thanks for the comments - the few times I have riden in hot weather in a non-mesh jacket with "air-flow" zippers I was NOT very impressed.

I realize the air-bag will add some "dead spots" to the air flow in the summer, but how dramatic would the sweat factor be? The bags seem fairly compact when deflated!

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #218
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Kinda funny...
When I bought my F658GS a little over two years ago I was buying a new jacket as part of the deal. The saleswoman I bought it from, a long time rider, gently nudged me towards the hi-vis ... I was unconvinced. Then she said "Ride home in the hi-vis and watch the eyes of the folks trying to enter the highway from side streets on your way home (about a 3 hour ride). If you're not convinced it makes a difference I'll swap it out for another color at no charge.

Well she was right ... one guy started to pull out in front of me, did a double-take and stomped the brakes, and several other times I noticed less dramatic but similar behavior ... I decided to keep the retina-searing yellow even though it is not quite have the chick magnet that a "softer" color would provide

Thanks for the comments - the few times I have riden in hot weather in a non-mesh jacket with "air-flow" zippers I was NOT very impressed.

I realize the air-bag will add some "dead spots" to the air flow in the summer, but how dramatic would the sweat factor be? The bags seem fairly compact when deflated!

Jim
Jim,

The MLV-Y is very compact and has a minimal front surface area so there would be very little obstruction to airflow in the summer months.
If you want I can take some pictures of the vest with my Joe Rocket mesh jacket and post them up?
Let me know
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #219
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Then how's the air flow of the YS mesh jacket compare to the MLV? I ordered the YS only because I like to have zipper in front and hi-viz.
Thanks.
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #220
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Then how's the air flow of the YS mesh jacket compare to the MLV? I ordered the YS only because I like to have zipper in front and hi-viz.
Thanks.
Ya know... that's about where I'm sitting... except that I have not ordered anything yet.

Also, the pockets of the YS would be nice since either vest will cover up the pockets on a jacket worn under ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 01-02-2011 at 03:58 PM
Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #221
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya know... that's about where I'm sitting... except that I have not ordered anything yet.

Also, the pockets of the YS would be nice since either vest will cover up the pockets on a jacket worn under ...
I find the MLV style vest allows easier access to pockets than the YS. With the MLV you can undo 1 clip at the front and get easy access to jacket pockets underneath
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #222
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Jim,

The MLV-Y is very compact and has a minimal front surface area so there would be very little obstruction to airflow in the summer months.
If you want I can take some pictures of the vest with my Joe Rocket mesh jacket and post them up?
Let me know
Yes, please do post some pics of your MLV-Y vest with your mesh jacket. That would be really helpful. Thanks!
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #223
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000 View Post
Yes, please do post some pics of your MLV-Y vest with your mesh jacket. That would be really helpful. Thanks!
Here you go, Joe Rocket mesh Jacket with MLV-Y, you can see how much my white T Shirt shows still under the mesh

Hope those help
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #224
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Of course all our vests come with your own personal "Umbrella Girl"

Just kidding
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #225
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Of course all our vests come with your own personal "Umbrella Girl"

Just kidding
Crap... How do I cancel my order???
There's a joke in here somwhere about "inflatable" but I'll leave it alone...

Seriously, I'm working the night shift tonight ... but will figure out what I'm doing and order something this wkend.

Thanks!
Jim