Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #241
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Just received my YS vest in hi viz from safermoto. It's size XL on top of my size 42 TourMaster leather jacket.

The 50cc CO2 cartridges:
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #242
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Just received my YS vest in hi viz from safermoto. It's size XL on top of my size 42 TourMaster leather jacket.

The 50cc CO2 cartridges:
Styling glad you found the cartridges in the pockets I forgot to mention that on the letter I put inside the box
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #243
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
Styling glad you found the cartridges in the pockets I forgot to mention that on the letter I put inside the box
Alan, it was my fault. Actually you did write down a note on the letter inside the box saying that the extra cartridges were inside the pockets. But I was so rush to try out the vest that I didn't read it until later.

The vest fits so perfectly that it looks like 'integrated' onto my leather jacket. Thanks for your great help and support!!

While you are here. I have a question: the manual specifically said that the CO2 cartridge should not be stored at temperature over 104F for risk of explosion. In summer, I did ride in temperature up to 107F or so. Does it mean that I shouldn't use it?

testrider screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 01:05 AM
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #244
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
on unintended concequence of riding at night with the MLV-R vest. So, I had a few people flash me while driving behind me....I guess they were seeing the vest light up in there high beams.......well atleast they were focused on me.....i had several people do that to me last night...I hope the novelty wears off soon. I dont want people doing that while coming at me.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #245
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Alan, it was my fault. Actually you did write down a note on the letter inside the box saying that the extra cartridges were inside the pockets. But I was so rush to try out the vest that I didn't read it until later.

The vest fits so perfectly that it looks like 'integrated' onto my leather jacket. Thanks for your great help and support!!

While you are here. I have a question: the manual specifically said that the CO2 cartridge should not be stored at temperature over 104F for risk of explosion. In summer, I did ride in temperature up to 107F or so. Does it mean that I shouldn't use it?
There should be no temperature issues when riding with the CO2. The guidelines are only for long term storage
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #246
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got a link to some video done by Cycle Sports TV from the IMS Long Beach Show

Pretty much answers all of the questions you might have about the air bag vests\jackets.

Not sure if I can embed here
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #247
xJawa
n00b (won't deny)

Oddometer: 1
Question YS vs MLV-Y and sizing questions from a n00b

This being my first post here, let me start by a huge _thank_you_ to all the fine people who keep this forum running. I do appreciate the wealth of information one finds here, from potentially lifesaving facts to interesting technical data to just great stuff to read.

After learning about the Hit-Air vests and jackets both here and on the web in general, I’m looking into getting either the YS vest or the MLV-Y “skeleton” version. Comparing the two, here is what I see as their strong points, roughly in my subjective order of importance:

YS
  • With just 4 openings (arms, neck, bottom), it may have better chance to stay where it belongs – with MLV I’m a bit worried especially about the large arm openings on the sides of the body, perhaps potentially allowing it to slide up.
  • Its more “enclosed” design reduces the chance of catching on and object (on the bike or off) or flapping in the air.
  • Larger high visibility area.
  • Pockets on the vest.
  • Non-inflatable (and removable) back protection included.

MLV-Y
  • More widely adjustable fit to match the gear worn underneath, easier to adjust for summer/winter layers, armor thickness etc.
  • CO2 cartridge positioned lower on the body, making the weight easier to carry and the connecting tether shorter.
  • 20% larger cartridge probably means more air cushioning (but just a bit more metal co carry).
  • Better ventilation.

As far as the YS goes, I’m also not sure about sizing: I typically wear Medium sized jackets (both bike and street), and I’m looking for a size that would fit over both my 3/4 lined jacket, the same jacket with the liner removed, and a summer mesh jacket (and riding pants). I’m 6’ tall, 39” chest, 31 1/2 waist.

I’d greatly appreciate any feedback from the current owners, the always helpful people in SaferMoto, or anybody who has any first-hand experience with the Hit-Air equipment.
xJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #248
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,436
xJawa

Probably minimal difference in ventilation,as the YS body is mostly mesh.
Talk to Safermoto about specific size questions,but the vests are sized
to go over gear.
I wear a L to XL in jackets and have an XL YS vest,there is plenty
of adjustability if you need it.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #249
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
I purchased the MLV and can add a few comments.

I had to "test" this vest at the Anchorage International Airport because Alaska Airlines wouldn't allow it on the aircraft. I had a TSA goon yank the cord to set the vest off while I was wearing it and was able to experience both it's speed of inflation and feel what it's like to have on once inflated. Inflation time was impressivly quick, and once inflated it felt like I was wearing a portable bear hug. The vest tightens itself around your torso and I don't think there is much danger of it comming off of your person provided at least one of the two front push clips remain fastened. I wasn't wearing my riding jacket- just my street clothes- so I expect it would be even a bit tighter with my riding jacket underneeth.

Safermoto fast freighted me a pair of replacement co2's to my final destination and I found that it's very simple to repack the vest and rearm the keybox. I got to ride with the vest on for about 1000 miles, in varying conditions. It's a garment you forget about as soon as you are moving, but you have to train yourself to clip in/out when getting on and off the bike. My sole complaint is that wearing it limits access to one's pockets, so I had to go back to my old habit of placing my ignition key in between the liner and edge of my helmet in the eyeport when stopped (I used to ride a lot wearing one-piece racing leathers- no pockets).

As to dealing with the airlines, I see two options:

1) Call it a "Life Vest". Do not say "airbag", do not mention "motorcycle", and do not offer to put it on or describe it's action or purpose. It is a vest, and it's supposed to save your life, so you will not be lying. AK Air would have allowed a float coat but becaust this wasn't a floatation device they got scared of it. Had I stated it was a "Life Vest" and said nothing else, they would have let it aboard without much issue. Probably. The TSA, for what it's worth, were fine with it, and left the airline to decide if it was OK to put on the plane. AK Air chickened out and refused it, claiming possible issues with the FAA if they were to disapprove. You will have to declare it because of the Co2 cart no matter what- but if you just say it's a "Life Vest" the chances they will let it on will improve.

2) Remove the Co2 and put the vest in your checked luggage and say nothing. It's perfectly acceptable with the Co2 out, so it should pass through just fine. Of course, the vest is useless without the Co2 to make it work, so you'll have to arrange to have a replacement cart waiting for you at your destination. I keep a bike in the states to ride when I get the chance, and in order to keep from having to hassle with the idiot airlines and TSA I'll just store a spare cart with the machine.

I bought the MLV to wear over my racing leathers at the track, and plan to wear it on the street over my regular riding gear. If I was considering replacing any of my existing riding jackets I'd seriously look at one of the Hit-Air integrated jackets- especially for touring use, as it means you will have to deal with one less garment. In all, I'm very pleased with the product and with Safermoto's customer service- and while I can surely wait to test the vest under real world cirmstances, I'm much more confident in it's utility now that I've seen (and felt) it inflate.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #250
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
xJawa

I've got them both, a YS at work and an MLV at home.

The YS is easier to put on (more solid and 'vest' like), and has pockets. It comes with back armor and can be fitted with front armor as well.

The MLV feels about half the size, fits my jackets better, and packs up small, which is important to me as I leave it in the top box along with the helmet.
The missing back armor I don't care about as I already have some in my jacket.

In an accident I think both would be equally as good, I've test-fired both and as noted you are VERY quickly in a vice of air.

Neither flap in the wind or anything when on the bike.

As noted the MLV is hugely adjustable, I wear a medium and it is rated as S-XL.

The YS is a US large. It doesn't have quite the adjustment range of the MLV, but both have fit anything I've worn without fiddling with the fit.

5' 10", 170 lbs, 42" chest, leather or mesh jackets are either M or L.

I prefer the MLV for commuting to work and general highway riding as it packs so much smaller and fits better. The YS is probably better for work (offroading dirtbikes and quads in remote areas) as I don't wear an armored jacket there and don't always click on the tether off-road.

MLV front in the fall, over heated vest and Scorpion leather:

MLV back in the summer over Alpinestars mesh:

MLV packed in JC Whitney topbox:

PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #251
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Not much I can add to the excellent descriptions

I am at a show in San Diego for 3 days so if you call I might be busy. Just leave a message and I will return your call as soon as I get a break

Lets see how the Fire and EMS guys like this Inflatable EXtretcher
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #252
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Alan:

Do you guys or any affiliates ever do shows in the mid-atlantic states?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #253
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Alan:

Do you guys or any affiliates ever do shows in the mid-atlantic states?
We have a couple of riders who show the vests at track days in the East but I think the other re-sellers mainly do horse shows
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #254
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
We have a couple of riders who show the vests at track days in the East but I think the other re-sellers mainly do horse shows
Thanks ... I was afraid you'd say that ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #255
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks ... I was afraid you'd say that ...
Let me know of any shows that are local and we will look at coming out and taking part