Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #271
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I think a better critique of the air bag concept is that it is likely to result in less sliding and more rolling on asphalt in some situations -- which might result in more damage to the extremities. But the added protection to the neck, back, and core, I think is worth it.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #272
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
I wonder how much they paid him...

I wonder how much they paid him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTv6N5ppEU&NR=1
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #273
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,561
Wow that video is insane.

I wear my jacket (yes, tethered to the bike) every day. Of course there an be edge cases where the jacket or tether is an increased risk, but my evaluation is that generally these jackets are worth wearing for on road riding. Clearly they will only be effective in certain types of accidents - but i'm happy to get a little extra neck protection any way i can. An di have found it is not uncomfortable to wear.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #274
FtWorthRider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Motorcycle Air Bag Systems

I am sure that we could all sit around a table and come up with PRO and CON lists for what might happen with any number of safety products. We could do the same thing for helmets, boots, CE armor, and tons of other safety gear available on the market. The point is that each rider determines what they want for rider and passenger protection based on their riding experience level, the type of riding being done, and who you have riding with you.

There are those that insist that they will never ride with a helmet as long as there are no laws forcing them to, others that wont ride without some sort of protective gear.....

There are those that say LOUD PIPES SAVE lives, while others disagree.

There are those that say NEVER ride a motorcycle and that way you won't have to worry about it.

My point is that each of us determines based on our own research what makes sense and what doesn't. I tend to ride on the conservative side when I ride in groups and with my family - and like the idea of wrapping my family in a vest-type air bag system, with full face helmet, appropriate boots, gloves, and leathers during a ride. Will this TOTALLY protect them? Probably not, but their chances are better with the safety equipment. Or, I could just stay home and NONE of us would have to worry about it.

The HIT Air Bag System, whether you like the HIGH visibility color or less noticable Black or Gray, just makes sense........ at least to me.
FtWorthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #275
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Tether on right side of F650GS twin

Tonopah:
Where did you find the extra female snap-end for your tank bag?
I have tried my local outdoor supply and they carry two different brands but neither works with the Hit-air leash....

Thanks!
Jim
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #276
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,561
well my air vest finally inflated. I had just returned from a business trip at 1:30am and was getitng ready to leave the office, dead tired. I had to stop ot get off the bike in theoffice garage to manually open the garage door as they are closed after a certian time at night. Because I had my luggage strapped to the back of the bike, i had to put it on the side stand and do that hop-off because you can't swing your leg over the luggage.

Bam the vest deploys - crap!

Anyway, it was amazingly effective. One issue as a heads up :) Once it deploys, you either need to hang around for a while to let it deflate, or you have to wear it the way it is, because it is not going to fit in one of the cases while inflated.

I eventually chose to just wear it and let it deflate while i rode home. Changed the cartridge this morning and we are good to go again.

Overall very impressive - I'm glad i got to see the vest inflated - i'd be happy to have the protection if i was going down for real - it felt very sturdy and solid. The neck portion was great - completely supported my helmet and neck. This is the most important part of the protection for me and i am very pleased with the way it deployed.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #277
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
You can unscrew the CO2 cartridge and the vest will deflate quickly and allow you to pack it in your luggage. Better still carry a spare CO2 and the allen screw and wrench. Replace the CO2, repack the vest and it is good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
well my air vest finally inflated. I had just returned from a business trip at 1:30am and was getitng ready to leave the office, dead tired. I had to stop ot get off the bike in theoffice garage to manually open the garage door as they are closed after a certian time at night. Because I had my luggage strapped to the back of the bike, i had to put it on the side stand and do that hop-off because you can't swing your leg over the luggage.

Bam the vest deploys - crap!

Anyway, it was amazingly effective. One issue as a heads up :) Once it deploys, you either need to hang around for a while to let it deflate, or you have to wear it the way it is, because it is not going to fit in one of the cases while inflated.

I eventually chose to just wear it and let it deflate while i rode home. Changed the cartridge this morning and we are good to go again.

Overall very impressive - I'm glad i got to see the vest inflated - i'd be happy to have the protection if i was going down for real - it felt very sturdy and solid. The neck portion was great - completely supported my helmet and neck. This is the most important part of the protection for me and i am very pleased with the way it deployed.
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #278
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Tonopah:
Where did you find the extra female snap-end for your tank bag?
I have tried my local outdoor supply and they carry two different brands but neither works with the Hit-air leash....

Thanks!
Jim
Jim,

We sell the clips on the site Buckle Connector
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #279
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I have the MLV vest.....I dig it....anything to immobilize my neck and take some of the impact of hitting the ground is a good thing.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #280
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
Jim,

We sell the clips on the site Buckle Connector
DOH....

I didn't think about it when I bought the vest
I have a slice of velco wrapped around it now, and a matching piece on the right crash bar. It works OK ... I still for get to clip myself now and then...

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #281
totomoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Fit for women riders?

I have been looking into this but I am wondering about the fit for women. There doesn't seem to be a size small MLV-Y vest available and I guess on someone smaller than 5'5" a medium might be too big. On a woman the size of the cartridge may pose an even bigger problem as it covers more of the rip cage. The FR-B women's jacket has a smaller cartridge (30cc) but is this enough? The jacket only comes in black and I couldn't find enough info about the armor (CE?) and quality of the fabric. Any insights?
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #282
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
I have been looking into this but I am wondering about the fit for women. There doesn't seem to be a size small MLV-Y vest available and I guess on someone smaller than 5'5" a medium might be too big. On a woman the size of the cartridge may pose an even bigger problem as it covers more of the rip cage. The FR-B women's jacket has a smaller cartridge (30cc) but is this enough? The jacket only comes in black and I couldn't find enough info about the armor (CE?) and quality of the fabric. Any insights?
Sorry for taking so much time. You are right that the MLV-Y Medium would be a little large on a someone smaller than 5'5". They would be better fitted by the SV-2 or LV, they are Equestrian vests but offer the same protection as the MLV. Unfortunately they are not available in the Yellow. There is a YS Small available that would probably fit best and give you the high visibility you desire.

The FR-B has the same protection, it is really a vest with sleeves, that zip to together.

Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #283
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I've been thinking about a Hit-Air Jacket for warm weather riding. The H-3 or MX-5 or MS-5. Not sure which. Would like it in light grey. I'm 5'8" with 40" chest, 36" waist and am 170 pounds. Not sure which size either.

Safermoto: can you advise regarding which jacket and what size? Thanks.

For the lady's question above, there might be a solution if you look at a jacket rather than a vest?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #284
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I've been thinking about a Hit-Air Jacket for warm weather riding. The H-3 or MX-5 or MS-5. Not sure which. Would like it in light grey. I'm 5'8" with 40" chest, 36" waist and am 170 pounds. Not sure which size either.

Safermoto: can you advise regarding which jacket and what size? Thanks.

For the lady's question above, there might be a solution if you look at a jacket rather than a vest?
Right now we only have the HS3 in the Light Gray, Large woould be the size to fit you. There are very few MX-5 or MS-5 jackets due to the large 6,500 jacket order the French Police Force ordered a month or so ago
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #285
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Hello I still have a good friend who t- boned a left turning car car while wearing a hit-air jacket. his Suzuki gsf?650 was totaled, he did a superman type flight about 10 yards before landing on his chest. as he lay there he thought he was broken as he felt very stiff, until he realized the jacket had done its job. He got up and help move the bike off of the road.Went to the ER and got to sleep in his own bed that night.When the insurance company presented him his check they said usually dont get to give it to the rider, mostly his family. My next jacket will be one. emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote