Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Hit Air (safermoto) tested here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769827
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #317
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
I have been using an MLV on the street and at the track for the past year. I had the oportunity to test the vest twice last race season.

My first fall was a very high speed low side from loosing the front- very close to 100 MPH. It appears the vest was torn through very close to the co2 cartrige as I fell and it only partially inflated. Our track is very abrasive and I didn't find this to be a huge surprise. The good news is the location of the co2 didn't do any harm, and my leathers were abraded everywhere the vest wasn't. Most of my gear was a write-off or needed significant repair, but I suffered only minor bruises and a broken fingernail.

My 2nd fall was another low-side at perhaps 60. In this case the replacement vest inflated completly and worked as advertised, although I really only touched the tailbone protector to the ground as I pretty much just slide on my thigh and butt. Zero injury- probably the most benign fall I've ever had.

Due to the nature of these two falls I can't claim the vest had a great deal to do with my lack of injury- but it's value to me is as protection from a high-side type crash and the really valuable thing to note is that wearing it provided a little more coverage in a low side as well but didn't cause any additional harm. On the bike I'm unaware I'm wearing it and it is now a part of the standard kit. It's good gear and I feel it's very much worth the investment.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #318
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
qusestion for testers...e

I'm considering removing my back pad from my jacket and/or aerostich in warmer weather, do you think the vest alone would provide sufficient back protection?
DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #319
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWBo View Post
I'm considering removing my back pad from my jacket and/or aerostich in warmer weather, do you think the vest alone would provide sufficient back protection?
I would leave the back protector in place if you can, no such thing as to much protection
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #320
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
I agree with Allan here- think of the vest as an adjunct to your regular gear. Car airbags are much the same- they aren't intended to replace seat belts. I race with all of the usual kit- one piece race leathers, spine/chest protector, puma boots, technik gloves, and shoei helmet. The airbag vest is there as an extra coushion beyond all of that. Is if overkill? Perhaps- but it'll only take one high side fling to break five of tour ribs and put you out for months. I'm betting the vest will provide enough additional impact absorbtion to keep me intact.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #321
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
I've ordered from Safermoto.com the MLV-Y air vest. Now my passenger wants an air vest too.

I'm thinking of getting the YS-Mesh:

Can the 2 piece chest armor be left as a semi-permanent installation?
(i.e. attach it and leave it and not have to install it and remove it every time the vest is worn)

Is there a backpad in there at all, or do I need to buy the optional "upgraded CE back armor" if I want a backpad? Also, I understand that you can't have too much protection, but is it realistically practical and comfortable to add the CE back armor when your riding gear already has a substantial back pad in it?

I see 2 pockets on the vest, any others?

Does it zip together at the front, or is it a velcro system?

I wish the Safermoto.com site had high resolution pics.

Thanks for your reponses.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #322
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
I know it has been brought up before but let me cast another vote for producing hi-viz colored jackets, I ride onto military bases frequently as part of my work and having the jacket meet requirements without having to wear a vest over it is much easier. In the meantime I am considering a vest to wear over my current jackets, now I just need to decide which style... I am leaning toward the YS as I can install the two piece chest armor into it. But I am wondering if the airbag coverage is the same between the YS style and the MLV-Y style?
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #323
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

I have inserted answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I've ordered from Safermoto.com the MLV-Y air vest. Now my passenger wants an air vest too.

I'm thinking of getting the YS-Mesh:

Can the 2 piece chest armor be left as a semi-permanent installation?
(i.e. attach it and leave it and not have to install it and remove it every time the vest is worn)

Yes, I prefer the 2 piece over the 1 piece personally

Is there a backpad in there at all, or do I need to buy the optional "upgraded CE back armor" if I want a backpad? Also, I understand that you can't have too much protection, but is it realistically practical and comfortable to add the CE back armor when your riding gear already has a substantial back pad in it?

There is a foam insert in the vest but it is not "rated" in any way. If you have a back protector in your jacket I dont really see a "need" to add one with the vest

I see 2 pockets on the vest, any others?

There are 3 pockets, 2 zippered and 1 clip pocket on the left chest area

Does it zip together at the front, or is it a velcro system?

It is a zipper at the front

I wish the Safermoto.com site had high resolution pics.

Noted, I can take some high res pictures and get them up on the site for you this weekend. I am getting 3 bikes ready to race at the first AFM event next weekend so this is going to be a hectic few days

Thanks for your reponses.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #324
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry bike prep took up my whole weekend

Here is a link to the high res pics of the YS
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #325
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hey Safer Moto,

I have finally saved up enough money to buy a hit-air product. I have a question for you. I have this jacket currently.
It is actually too big for me so I have quite a bit of room inside the jacket. I was wondering how effective you think it would be to unsnap the tail and the neck flaps so that they are worn outside the jacket. As you can see the jacket has no collar so the neck flap seems like it would fit on the outside of the jacket. I am trying to decide between this solution and the mx-6 jacket. I prefer the protection of leather. Could you please speak to the quality of the external material on the MX-6? I really don't know much about mesh jackets.Thank you in advance for your replies.
edit: one more question. does the mlv-c vest have velcro in it for the chest guards? and do you thing the honeycomb chest pad is a big improvement over the thinner plastic ones?

dpg screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 09:34 PM
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #326
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

All our vests are designed to be worn OUTSIDE the jacket, the way the vest inflates would probably bust most of the seams on the leather jacket you posted a picture off. Even if the seams held the problem would be that the airvest may not inflate fully and provide all the protection it is designed to. If you unsnapped the neck and tail bone sections they woudl "flap" around and be a general "pain" as you were riding around

As with any mesh jacket the protection is not going to be as much as a Leather jacket. With all jackets what you need to look at is how they fit. You say your current jacket is large for you. If it is loose in the shoulders and elbows then in a accident situation your "hard armor" parts may move around and not give you the protection you expect them to

Yes the MLV-V has the velcro for the chest protector and the honeycomb is HUGE improvement over the former 1 piece design(In my personal opinion)

Let me know if I can answer any more Vest or jacket related questions for you
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #327
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
All good points. Thanks for the help. I guess my next question is do you have the mx6 in stock? I have found it on other websites but would rather order it from safe moto since you have been kind enough to answer ADVrider questions. Any discount for forum members? Thanks again.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #328
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
All good points. Thanks for the help. I guess my next question is do you have the mx6 in stock? I have found it on other websites but would rather order it from safe moto since you have been kind enough to answer ADVrider questions. Any discount for forum members? Thanks again.
Currently we have the following MX6 in stock in Reno:

Black Small
Black XL
Black\Red XL
Light Gray XL

In case anyone is looking for a Small Mesh Jacket we have MS-5(Previous model to the MX-6) in Stock as follows:
Black Small
Dark Gray Small
Light Gray Small
On a "fire sale" price of $250 instead of $499 you will need to call as we cant advertise that on the website
Make a great jacket for your girlfriend, wife or partner

Discount code is ADVRider1
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #329
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

If you are looking to try on "kick the tires" on vests and jackets then we will be at the following IMS shows this Fall

Atlanta GA Nov 2 -4th

Dallas TX Nov 9 - 11th

Long Beach CA Dec 7 - 9th

We will have some badges so if you would like to come hand out at the booth let me know. It would be great to have riders who are using the vests available to chat with prospective customers

Wont know if I can get discount tickets till nearer the dates
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #330
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Thought I would post this link, the powers that be in the police departments are seeing the benefits

Motorcycle Police Officers Vests