Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #406
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Poor picture but it will give you some idea. I'll take another, better, photo tomorrow on the bike.

Regarding abrasion resistance -- I wear Safermoto equipment to protect against major trauma like neck, back, rib and chest injuries. I imagine that the Motorrad 2 is not going to be as good as leather, or and Aerostich or Motoport in a long slide on asphalt but it is probably okay and if it protects the body better from serious trauma -- I'm all for it. The $500 plus dollars is nothing compared to a trip to the ER followed by hospitalization for serious injury. My son is an ER doc and he rides -- with a Safermoto vest.

Thats a good looking jacket
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #407
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Question Series of short videos

Thinking about a series of short videos to help explain how to choose a vest, set it up on your bike and more.

Here is what i have so far

What size do I need?

How do I attach it to my bike?

How do I repack the vest/jacket?

What is it like when it inflates?

What kind of rider are you?

What happens if I get off my bike and forget to unclip?

Any constructive suggestions are appreciated
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #408
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
Thinking about a series of short videos to help explain how to choose a vest, set it up on your bike and more.

What size do I need?

inflate a vest a rider is wearing w/helmet while also wearing outer wear (rain jacket, water bottle backpack, etc. Both over sized rain wear and average fit. Same with way water bottle is worn, normal and with extra room in how one would strap it on)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #409
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
inflate a vest a rider is wearing w/helmet while also wearing outer wear (rain jacket, water bottle backpack, etc. Both over sized rain wear and average fit. Same with way water bottle is worn, normal and with extra room in how one would strap it on)
Great suggestions thank you
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #410
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Looking to pick up an airbag can't decide between getting a MLV or a neck vest. Any pros/cons that can help decide?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #411
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Looking to pick up an airbag can't decide between getting a MLV or a neck vest. Any pros/cons that can help decide?
MLV offers full back protection all the way down to the coccyx. Neck Vest only stabilizes the head and neck.

The Neck Vest is lighter and has a dual neck Bag. Do you ride with a Hard back protector under your present jacket?

What main types of riding are you doing? What kind of bike do you ride?

Plenty of members here already have the MLV in either the C R or Y flavor some even have the PB and PY. Hopefully they will chime in with their advice
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #412
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
MLV offers full back protection all the way down to the coccyx. Neck Vest only stabilizes the head and neck.

The Neck Vest is lighter and has a dual neck Bag. Do you ride with a Hard back protector under your present jacket?

What main types of riding are you doing? What kind of bike do you ride?

Plenty of members here already have the MLV in either the C R or Y flavor some even have the PB and PY. Hopefully they will chime in with their advice
I wear a Marathon Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and ride a F650 Dakar.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #413
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
As Safermoto said,unless you already own great back and chest protection,get the vest.

I wear the YS vest,but would probably buy the MLV if I was buying today,for slightly less bulk.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #414
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:

What size do I need?

Maybe I just need to re-read the instructions ... but a short video on how much "slack" should be in the size adjusters when you put the vest on ... I have mine set for a bit of slop, but not much ...
now wondering if maybe I'll squash my self it goes of?
Re-RTFM might be all I need to reassure myself...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #415
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Maybe I just need to re-read the instructions ... but a short video on how much "slack" should be in the size adjusters when you put the vest on ... I have mine set for a bit of slop, but not much ...
now wondering if maybe I'll squash my self it goes of?
Re-RTFM might be all I need to reassure myself...
You wont squash yourself You should size them so the vest wont "ride" upwards with the wind and also wont "flap" at higher speeds

Thanks for the suggestions and I will add it to the list
Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #416
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Mugello - Marquez

Marc Marquez crashed in practice at Mugello last weekend. He was wearing an inflatable, from Dainese I believe. Since he crashed in practice, all the telemetry on bike and suit was operating & recording. He crashed at 209.9 MPH. That's 209.9 MPH !
The suit recorded an impact force on his right shoulder of 25G. That should explode any human musculo/skeletal joint. He walked away, albeit stiffly & raced the next day. He did wind up with a fair sized patch of raspberry under his chin, from gravel getting under his Arai, but otherwise, a pretty good result.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #417
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
correction

I just read that Marc Marquez's air bag suit was A-stars, not Dainese, as stated in earlier post. Impressive, whoever made it.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #418
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I've worn a hit air for 5 years

I thought I'd share my experience having used the product for 5 years. I wear the mlvc.
it's comfortable I never feel it. It's narrow so air flow block is minimal. It has never gone off by accident. The cord tugs if I forget. I do forget to connect it more than I like and it is not safe trying to do it while riding. Overall I now feel unprotected without it.

The downside is that it looks goofy. I should be too old to care, but people think I am wearing a life vest. guess I am. It just looks too bulky, but I wear the best protection I can. the pavement is very hard.

The good news is that I did a high side crash. Maybe going 50 km/hr. As I was flying through the air like superman I felt the vest tighten up around me. particularly reassuring was the feeling of the space around my neck getting solidly protected under the helmet.. I do believe that it saved me from a hyper extension neck injury.. I landed on my front arms and legs splayed. the chest tubes may have provided some protection but I did land on the cartridge and had 2 cracked ribs there. I was happy to trade the rib injury for the neck protection. but there has to be a better place to put it. I still wear it every ride and have bought a chest protector since.

there are some improvements to be made but until then this is a good product and does what it is supposed to. I'd like to see more riders wearing them because I believe it is one more risk reduction and if more folks wore one I wouldn't feel as goofy looking.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #419
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking for SaferMoto Riders in the OC SoCal area

OC Register is looking to do a story on the vests and is looking for some local input.

Anyone available to help?

Thanks in Advance

Alan
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #420
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
OC Register is looking to do a story on the vests and is looking for some local input.

Anyone available to help?

Thanks in Advance

Alan
Would Minnesota be considered "local"? :) I only have an embarrassing story but I don't mind sharing if they want to talk to me. Probably be much more impressive to talk with people who actually had it go off at high speed. However, I'm fine with serving as a warning when I can't serve as a good example...

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote