Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #46
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceharrier
Anyway, we're probably getting a bit geekish here.
I'm an engineer, I'm supposed to be geekish.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #47
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I'm an engineer, I'm supposed to be geekish.
I only play one on TV.
spaceharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #48
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
There is some testing data that the factory did 2 years ago. It's basic stuff, G force reduction, etc.
Info is here:
http://safermoto.com/testing/

Here is a high speed camera test deployment (you can see the millisecond counter in the upper right if you watch in HD):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jvY-ySnFg

The concern about landing on the Co2 cartridge is certainly valid, I have wondered (worried) about this myself. Personally I feel that if you land on the keybox with enough force to cause injury, you are going to continue to roll and in which case I would want the protection of the airbag system. We have had no reports of injury due to landing on the Co2 mechanism (though there's not enough data yet.)

Spaceharrier, I'm not sure I understand your question about landing on the bag.

Regarding the tether/vs. technology question, cost is a huge concern. If these vests cost $3000 would anyone buy one (I know I wouldn't). Also, I'm still not convinced that I want a computer deciding if I had crashed or not. The tether system is elegantly simple. Yes, if you aren't separated from the bike, it won't deploy but I have to think that it is quite rare to crash and stay on the bike.

Almost every crash report we have gotten, the rider has commented on how secure he felt that his neck was supported. AFM racer Alan Cunningham crashed last year at Infineon and landed on his head while wearing one of our vests and is convinced that, had he not been wearing it, he would been in the hospital. Here is a picture of the incident:

I will be the first to admit that an airbag vest (like any piece of safety gear) will not help in every accident but I am totally convinced that they to do help mitigate the risk.

SaferMoto screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 01:55 PM
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #49
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,472
So he has to spend $60 plus shipping to "fix" the jacket? He'd be better off upgrading the armor in it then. I'll let him know, maybe his family's contact will upgrade the jacket for free.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #50
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
So he has to spend $60 plus shipping to "fix" the jacket? He'd be better off upgrading the armor in it then. I'll let him know, maybe his family's contact will upgrade the jacket for free.
The keybox upgrade is $30, shipping via priority mail is $5.
Not really a "fix", it is an upgrade. I think the cost/benefit makes it an easy choice. You can't get much armor for $30.
By the way, we make about $3 on each of these.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #51
Germax
...zzzzZZZZ

Oddometer: 22
Intrigued by this thread I decided to order YS vest and John has been most helpful with resolving my fitting and shipping to Canada questions.
I hope to never test it but if I do I hope it works as well as SaferMoto customer service. Thanks John!
Germax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #52
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Tested my Hit-Air in the dirt: very good

I deployed my Hit-Air jacket (a new one with the 250 ms keybox) two weekends ago riding my 1200GS along a power line road in northern lower Michigan. My son was riding behind me on his Honda CRF-230. I was pretending my 500-lb beast was really a dirt bike at heart!

I hit a deep patch of sand going just a few miles per hour (a few mph too slow, I expect) and I dumped the bike. It was a slow fall, so I more stepped-off the bike, rather than "flew off". The cord pulled and the bag inflated as expected.

In this soft sand, I didn't need it's protection - but it gave me a very comforting feeling. I disconnected the tether and walked over to my son. The bags stayed inflated for a few minutes - enough time for him to whack/punch me many times as hard as he could to test the protection. I felt he could have smacked me at full force with a 2x4 in the back or chest and I would have been fine.

Dirt riding, where you expect to drop multiple times, is not the right environment for this jacket. Having said that, it is exactly the protection I want if, God forbid, I find myself sliding on the pavement.

For you lurkers or hand-wringers - quit worrying about the inflation time, the bottle on your chest, what if I forget...: just buy one. Those are minor issues compared to the benefit of that 2" air cushion around your vitals.

Also - I did my first all-day ride with my tether connection sensor and it worked great. You can build your own for a few bucks.

You won't regret it.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #53
Houngan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I like the idea of the vest, and I like the idea of having an easy-on easy-off hi-viz piece of serious armor. My question is this: What are you wearing under the vest? I would think that owning one of these with upgraded back and chest protection plus something lighter underneath with shoulders and elbows would give you best of both worlds, heavy protection on the bike, and comfort off the bike (plus not wearing hi-viz all night) with the vest stowed.

So what simple jackets have folks found to be good fits with the airbag vest? (And I'm referring to the full YS vest, not the MLV, so I can have good back protection.)

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #54
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I look to add one of their XL air vests to my Motoport jacket. Thats got a ton of armor in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houngan
I like the idea of the vest, and I like the idea of having an easy-on easy-off hi-viz piece of serious armor. My question is this: What are you wearing under the vest? I would think that owning one of these with upgraded back and chest protection plus something lighter underneath with shoulders and elbows would give you best of both worlds, heavy protection on the bike, and comfort off the bike (plus not wearing hi-viz all night) with the vest stowed.

So what simple jackets have folks found to be good fits with the airbag vest? (And I'm referring to the full YS vest, not the MLV, so I can have good back protection.)

H.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #55
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
hey Safer, I have a question about some of the racer photos on the website. There is one photo with two guys in leathers at some racetrack. They both have short vests on but when I look at your product range. I dont see those vests. Whats the deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto
Some are.
Problem is a lack of knowledge of the product. Even though they have been around for more than 12 years, people just don't know about them.
We sponsor a number of racers and have sold vests to many more.
You seem to continue to insinuate that these are not effective and obviously they are.
Why you would want to discourage the product?
If you think they are a stupid and ineffective, that's lovely, don't get one. But I believe in the product and I have customers (and racers) who have been saved from serious injury because they were wearing one of our vests.
Racers: http://safermoto.com/racing.html
News and crash testimonials: http://safermoto.com/news.html
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #56
Germax
...zzzzZZZZ

Oddometer: 22
Btw after I ordered and paid I mentioned ADV rider and I was offered 30$ discount immediately. If you are getting this make sure to mention this website. They like us for some strange reason :)
Germax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #57
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Why don't people buy airbag jackets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
If these are effective, why aren't racers using them?
This has become an intriguing concept for me, but I think I'm beginning to understand. Part of the issue is simple market awareness that (hopefully) will grow with time. Another major part is more complex: the psychology of motorcycle safety and individual choice.

I started the JoMamma thread "Given the choice, Americans don't wear helmets: WTF?" Reading the responses, I got a better insight to the psychology of motorcycle safety and personal choice. I think many logical people see motorcycle safety as an oxymoron, of sorts. If you are REALLY worried about safety, you wouldn't ride at all. (You would drive a 2010 Taurus wearing helmets.) So, once you have accepted that, where do you set your personal line.

What I see driving back/forth between states with/without helmet laws is that American riders are very likely to choose to not wear a helmet at all. I don't think any degree of marketing savvy will get them to choose an airbag jacket.

I am glad John at Safer-Moto is still pushing to make the technology better, while still affordable. I can only hope more people finally catch on and riding becomes safer for all of us and our insurance rates get better!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #58
sky11
Banned

Oddometer: 15
not really good it is !
sky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #59
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germax
Btw after I ordered and paid I mentioned ADV rider and I was offered 30$ discount immediately. If you are getting this make sure to mention this website. They like us for some strange reason :)
And instead of taking the refund he gave the $30 to the Peter Lenz fund at http://www.peterlenz.org

Good stuff!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #60
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
hey Safer, I have a question about some of the racer photos on the website. There is one photo with two guys in leathers at some racetrack. They both have short vests on but when I look at your product range. I dont see those vests. Whats the deal?
Rob, those guys are just big guys. They're wearing the smaller size MLV.
There are two sizes, one that goes from M to XL and one that goes from XL to XXXL and can accommodate a 54" waist.