Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #76
kjames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Great product, not suited to the type of riding i do though.

Is there anyway of linking the tether to bike's keys. So you have you bike ignition keys attached to one end of the tether and connect at the same time as putting the keys in the ignition.

When you finished you take the key out, untether from the bike and pop the key in a pocket on the vest.

K
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #77
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbrown
I didn't identify myself as an ADV inmate when I ordered and don't expect any discount, but feel free to make a charitable contribution with me in mind. Actually, I think I've used up any consideration with the extra service you sent my way. Thanks again.
Hi Jac,
Great to hear the MLV worked out so well and good to have more data about sizing for the big guys! Thanks for the kind words.
I have donated $30 on your behalf to the Peter Lenz fund at http://www.peterlenz.org

Also, as you probably noticed, my ID has changed. Alan is taking over SaferMoto. Best,
-John
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #78
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
John, why is the yellow MLV more expensive than the Black version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtSaferMoto
Hi Jac,
Great to hear the MLV worked out so well and good to have more data about sizing for the big guys! Thanks for the kind words.
I have donated $30 on your behalf to the Peter Lenz fund at http://www.peterlenz.org

Also, as you probably noticed, my ID has changed. Alan is taking over SaferMoto. Best,
-John
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #79
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
John, why is the yellow MLV more expensive than the Black version?
I honestly have no idea. I was pretty surprised myself when I saw that. I can see the material being slightly more expensive but I... Oh, wait, no...
Bad answer.
The yellow material is a special blend of titanium and carbon fiber and regrows hair and makes you irresistible to the ladies.

no?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #80
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames
Great product, not suited to the type of riding i do though.

Is there anyway of linking the tether to bike's keys. So you have you bike ignition keys attached to one end of the tether and connect at the same time as putting the keys in the ignition.

When you finished you take the key out, untether from the bike and pop the key in a pocket on the vest.

K
Good idea about the keys but it would depend on where you attach the tether. A lot of the guys on race bikes or race-like bikes attach the tether to the triple clamp so it wouldn't be hard to have another tether from there to the key, maybe some sort of elastic?
But if you are attaching the tether closer to your seat, as I imagine most of you ADV inmates would, it would be a little funky...
Or you could get the soon-to-be-famous John Smallberries mod.

I'm curious what kind of riding do you do and why do you think the airbag vest is not suited to it.

Cheers,
-John
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #81
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

re grows hair? where? on your back?
Quote:
I honestly have no idea. I was pretty surprised myself when I saw that. I can see the material being slightly more expensive but I... Oh, wait, no...
Bad answer.
The yellow material is a special blend of titanium and carbon fiber and regrows hair and makes you irresistible to the ladies.

no?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #82
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Q for SaferMoto guys

I went to the Hit Air main website and I see that they have a vest called the MLV-R.The whole vest is made of this reflective Lumidex fabric instead of just having a few strips of reflective material. Do you sell this one too?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #83
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
I went to the Hit Air main website and I see that they have a vest called the MLV-R.The whole vest is made of this reflective Lumidex fabric instead of just having a few strips of reflective material. Do you sell this one too?
I'm not John, but I can tell you yes, he does -- he sold me one a couple of months back.
spaceharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #84
jacbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Tall Guy Correction

One thing you tall guys need to be aware of is the tether length. I bought a spare that fit my sport bike fine. On the KLR, however, the tether was right on the edge of being too short for a lot of standing on the bike. Since ADV inmates do a lot of upright offroad riding , taller inmates may need to work out something special, depending on their bike and body. John was nice enough to send me a prototype of a longer tether, but I think I got the only one. If anybody gets in trouble on this issue, send me a pm and I'll take a picture of the long tether for you. It wouldn't be too hard to make up something similar for yourself.

In this quote (above), I talked about potential issues for tall guys. Since the longer tether was here this weekend, I started messing around with tether anchor location and was able to find an attachment that worked with the original length tether. It needed to be farther forward under the back of the tank to get me in a good place while standing. So, as far as I know, Hit Air has a perfect record of fitting tall guys and I'll be sending the prototype extended tether back to Safermoto.
jacbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #85
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We have them.
They're pretty amazing at night. Here's a pic taken without then with a flash:
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #86
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
re grows hair? where? on your back?
Yes, but just in the shape of the vest.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #87
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Guy

John thanks for all your help I am really looking forward to helping other riders with the vests and jackets.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #88
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

So what is the price on that bad boy? Im digging this more than the yellow. I need more nighttime reflectivity.
Quote:
We have them.
They're pretty amazing at night. Here's a pic taken without then with a flash:
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #89
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So what is the price on that bad boy? Im digging this more than the yellow. I need more nighttime reflectivity.
$419 is the Retail price on the MLV-R we have 2 of the M - XL in stock ready to ship out tomorrow. You know you cant resist
Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #90
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

I'm 6'9" and with my motoport air mesh kevlar jacket on my chest is about 52-54" Sort of hard to measure due to the armor. Will the XL fit? the other thing that worries me is the tether length. I stand up on my tiger quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto
$419 is the Retail price on the MLV-R we have 2 of the M - XL in stock ready to ship out tomorrow. You know you cant resist

TallRob screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 10:20 PM