Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #106
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah
Your market just grew by one.

I ordered a YS today.

I commute through heavy traffic daily, lane splitting to some extent, and this Hit Air thread has been bothering me to the point where this morning I just didn't feel safe enough. All those freakin' cagers trying to wipe me off my bike (it seems). I will continue to use my usual gear (Olympia Phantom one piece or Revit' Sirocco jacket & pants plus BMW Santiago boots and Shoei helmet with Revit' gloves) but will add the hi viz Hit Air.

Hope the large size fits though...
Thank you. Shipped the vest out today so you should have it by Friday.
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #107
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Im back,,,,,hay, when should I expecgt my vest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto
Thank you. Shipped the vest out today so you should have it by Friday.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #108
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
Waiting on it arriving from Japan, as soon as I get it I will send it right out to you. thanks for your patience
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #109
Craigart14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
The inflation seems really slow in the video. If you are still on the bike at the moment of impact, your body is going to hit something just as the tether gets yanked.
It looked pretty fast to me. The sound you hear is the vest slowly deflating afterward. It inflated in less than half a second.

Craig
Craigart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #110
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigart14
It looked pretty fast to me. The sound you hear is the vest slowly deflating afterward. It inflated in less than half a second.

Craig
0.25 of a second to full inflation, I can say hand on heart it inflates BEFORE you hit the deck. It did in all 3 of my crashes that I had the vest on
Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #111
Houngan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I bought one of the full vests, and while I'm still coming to grips with the BLINDING YELLOW, I can report a few things:

Inadvertent inflation: So far I've only remembered to untether once, every other time I've thrown a leg over and then figured out I was still tethered. If you're going to try to jump off and rope a calf it may be an issue, but so far it looks plenty strong enough to prevent triggering.

Airflow: Good, but not great with the chest protector. Over 30mph I was comfortable in 90 degrees, a mesh jacket, serious overpants (no venting) and the vest. Going slow things got sweaty, I don't know that I can blame the vest more than the pants, though.

Comfort: Once it is on, I didn't notice it. The rigid chest and semi-rigid back (provided for free from Safermoto, because they rock) seem to act almost like a prop; I just kinda collapsed into my gear and rode for hours without any particular issue other than a chapped ass.

Visibility: Subjective, since I wasn't looking at myself, but all the rear-enders were creeping up on me in a comfortable fashion.

Fashion: Unexpectedly, I still got plenty of waves and even yapped at some pirates in my overgeared state.

Cons: I don't care for the zipper. It seems up to the task, but really not that impressive compared to my YYK zippers on my jacket. This is subjective, but you want a zipper to inspire confidence.

Forward: I need better luggage to really enjoy the product. I don't want to drag the thing around, but I really want to wear it, so luggage is critical to my enjoyment.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #112
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
thanks for the continued reviews - i'd love to see some more picture out in the field of the hi vis vs the black vest or MLVs. I'm trying to decided which way is more functional and also within my realm of taste.
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #113
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis
thanks for the continued reviews - i'd love to see some more picture out in the field of the hi vis vs the black vest or MLVs. I'm trying to decided which way is more functional and also within my realm of taste.
All I can say is the HI VIS is REALLY HI VIS No chance of not being seen when you wear it
Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #114
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houngan
I bought one of the full vests, and while I'm still coming to grips with the BLINDING YELLOW, I can report a few things:

Inadvertent inflation: So far I've only remembered to untether once, every other time I've thrown a leg over and then figured out I was still tethered. If you're going to try to jump off and rope a calf it may be an issue, but so far it looks plenty strong enough to prevent triggering.

Airflow: Good, but not great with the chest protector. Over 30mph I was comfortable in 90 degrees, a mesh jacket, serious overpants (no venting) and the vest. Going slow things got sweaty, I don't know that I can blame the vest more than the pants, though.

Comfort: Once it is on, I didn't notice it. The rigid chest and semi-rigid back (provided for free from Safermoto, because they rock) seem to act almost like a prop; I just kinda collapsed into my gear and rode for hours without any particular issue other than a chapped ass.

Visibility: Subjective, since I wasn't looking at myself, but all the rear-enders were creeping up on me in a comfortable fashion.

Fashion: Unexpectedly, I still got plenty of waves and even yapped at some pirates in my overgeared state.

Cons: I don't care for the zipper. It seems up to the task, but really not that impressive compared to my YYK zippers on my jacket. This is subjective, but you want a zipper to inspire confidence.

Forward: I need better luggage to really enjoy the product. I don't want to drag the thing around, but I really want to wear it, so luggage is critical to my enjoyment.
Thank you for the review, hope you continue to enjoy the product and never actually have to "use" it
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #115
Houngan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
All I can say is the HI VIS is REALLY HI VIS No chance of not being seen when you wear it
Yeah, it's . . . insanely hi-viz. Retina scarring, really. If you have any qualms about being too hi-viz, this isn't for you. I'm seriously considering doing some dye/painting on it just to tone it down a bit, but on the other hand I want it during dusk/dawn or in any marginal situation other than full sunlight, you will NOT be missed. Safermoto, you need to get them to do a black or white vest with hiviz features, instead of pure hiviz!

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #116
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houngan
Yeah, it's . . . insanely hi-viz. Retina scarring, really. If you have any qualms about being too hi-viz, this isn't for you. I'm seriously considering doing some dye/painting on it just to tone it down a bit, but on the other hand I want it during dusk/dawn or in any marginal situation other than full sunlight, you will NOT be missed. Safermoto, you need to get them to do a black or white vest with hiviz features, instead of pure hiviz!

H.
Almost all our jackets and vests have some reflective/hi vis features. our ML-R model is made from Lumidex and when light hits it, it lights up like a Christmas tree The MX5 jacket is the same way. Our JV vest has a Luminex pad on the back and the grey piping is made from Reflex which is a reflective material when lights hit it.
Keep the suggestions and questions coming, I will do my best to answer them for you
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #117
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
Your vest shipped today out of Reno, they said delivery by Thursday afternoon!!! but I would expect Friday Let me know what you think when you get it
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #118
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries
For you lurkers or hand-wringers - quit worrying about the inflation time, the bottle on your chest, what if I forget...: just buy one. Those are minor issues compared to the benefit of that 2" air cushion around your vitals.

Also - I did my first all-day ride with my tether connection sensor and it worked great. You can build your own for a few bucks.

You won't regret it.
I have had the Rivet version (which is now not made) that I got for cheap. I probably wouldn't have bought one but it was only $100 so worth a try I thought. I would probably buy a Hitair now for commuting.

I actually fell off with it on on the road the other week. I was on my Sachs Madass 125, I was being silly on the bike and dropped it at about 20-30 km an hour (about 15miles/h) when I dug the back brake in scraping the footpegs on a roundabout.

The airbag didn't deploy as the bike basically just fell (lowsided) on top of me. This did cause an issue as I couldn't get up as I was still leashed on. I had to twist around and remove the leash without setting it off which took about 5 seconds. The bike was light so having the weight on me wasn't an issue and I didn't burn my leg as I was wearing gear and the 125 doesn't get that hot. The car behind me had to stop which they did but they would have had to do that anyway. It might be a little difficult to get off without setting it off if you had a broken arm or something.

I didn't land on the cylinder. The cylinder is on the right side of your body next to your stomach. This was the side I fell on but I never hit it. I think that this is low risk as you fall on your side in low speed incidents and the airbag is inflated in high speed incidents where you might get turned over.

I did set it off once when a car sideswiped me at low speed in a car park (<5km/h). I didn't even fall off but I stood up too much when I was trying not to drop the bike and set it off. It is actually quite claustophobic and I just wanted to get it off asap. I wonder if this is a good idea after a crash (I would try to avoid removing it too fast in case you are injured). Its not as easy to remove if it is inflated. The leash didn't actually seperate on this one as well, but as I said I

How does the Hitair attach? Could non-deployment be an issue?

I have never set it off in normal situation of getting on and off. I have almost pulled the 125 over but I usually notice it then. I don't think that this is a real risk.

Overall I am still happy with it. The neck protection is the reason that I would buy another one as normal jackets have no neck protection, the Rivet airbag has a nice "pillow" that comes out of the back of the jacket that stops your head moving. That has to be a good thing. It is a pretty cool bit of kit too having an airbag in your jacket.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #119
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C
I have had the Rivet version (which is now not made) that I got for cheap. I probably wouldn't have bought one but it was only $100 so worth a try I thought. I would probably buy a Hitair now for commuting.

I actually fell off with it on on the road the other week. I was on my Sachs Madass 125, I was being silly on the bike and dropped it at about 20-30 km an hour (about 15miles/h) when I dug the back brake in scraping the footpegs on a roundabout.

The airbag didn't deploy as the bike basically just fell (lowsided) on top of me. This did cause an issue as I couldn't get up as I was still leashed on. I had to twist around and remove the leash without setting it off which took about 5 seconds. The bike was light so having the weight on me wasn't an issue and I didn't burn my leg as I was wearing gear and the 125 doesn't get that hot. The car behind me had to stop which they did but they would have had to do that anyway. It might be a little difficult to get off without setting it off if you had a broken arm or something.

I didn't land on the cylinder. The cylinder is on the right side of your body next to your stomach. This was the side I fell on but I never hit it. I think that this is low risk as you fall on your side in low speed incidents and the airbag is inflated in high speed incidents where you might get turned over.

I did set it off once when a car sideswiped me at low speed in a car park (<5km/h). I didn't even fall off but I stood up too much when I was trying not to drop the bike and set it off. It is actually quite claustophobic and I just wanted to get it off asap. I wonder if this is a good idea after a crash (I would try to avoid removing it too fast in case you are injured). Its not as easy to remove if it is inflated. The leash didn't actually seperate on this one as well, but as I said I

How does the Hitair attach? Could non-deployment be an issue?

I have never set it off in normal situation of getting on and off. I have almost pulled the 125 over but I usually notice it then. I don't think that this is a real risk.

Overall I am still happy with it. The neck protection is the reason that I would buy another one as normal jackets have no neck protection, the Rivet airbag has a nice "pillow" that comes out of the back of the jacket that stops your head moving. That has to be a good thing. It is a pretty cool bit of kit too having an airbag in your jacket.
Couple of observations:

1. Try making your tether as short as you can while still allowing you to move freely around on the bike, standing ect.

2. Test your vest to make sure it deploys properly. In some vest the mechanisms can wear over time and should be serviced/repaired.

3. We usually try to size our vest to clients. If you are at a show we like to use a compressor to inflate the vest slowly so you get used to how it feels in an emergency situation. The first accident I had while wearing the vest, when I stopped moving I did a quick check. "Could not move my neck, almost panicked, did a quick fingers and toes check, good. Then remembered the air bag was holding my head in place, neck and spine straight. I smiled got up and walked away from a 70mph highside

4. we have never had a report of non-deployment in a crash situation where the rider was separated from the bike. YOU MUST attach the tether to the bike correctly as per the instructions

5. The new NW version is pretty cool I have been using it on my SuperMoto rides around town this week. I can even wear a backpack with it. I will post some pics tomorrow

Glad to know you think air-vests are a "cool piece of kit
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #120
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Couple of observations:

1. Try making your tether as short as you can while still allowing you to move freely around on the bike, standing ect.

2. Test your vest to make sure it deploys properly. In some vest the mechanisms can wear over time and should be serviced/repaired.
Good advice about watching the length of tether. I actually think that it would have gone off if I had been going faster (or maybe on a bigger bike) it was more of a flop and slide and so I was still sitting on the seat when I came to rest. I still wasn't injured even though it didn't go off as the only bit that really hit the ground on my upper body was the arm armour which is normal and not inflatable.

Sounds like the hitair has the neck protection I am looking for. As you can't get anymore co2 bottles for the Rivet, I might get one if I set it off again.

Oh and the ambulance officers that attended when I sideswiped the car (someone called emergency even though I wasn't hurt) also thought it was the best bit of kit ever.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote