Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #121
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C
Good advice about watching the length of tether. I actually think that it would have gone off if I had been going faster (or maybe on a bigger bike) it was more of a flop and slide and so I was still sitting on the seat when I came to rest. I still wasn't injured even though it didn't go off as the only bit that really hit the ground on my upper body was the arm armour which is normal and not inflatable.

Sounds like the hitair has the neck protection I am looking for. As you can't get anymore co2 bottles for the Rivet, I might get one if I set it off again.

Oh and the ambulance officers that attended when I sideswiped the car (someone called emergency even though I wasn't hurt) also thought it was the best bit of kit ever.
Glad you managed to escape without injury. When I crashed Infineon in Turn 2 the EMP folks thought the vest saved me from a severe neck injury

I look forward to getting you hooked up with the latest and greatest.
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #122
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
just got my vest with the lumidex. Its a pretty interesting piece of kit. Ill take some pics over my motoport jacket later.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #123
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
if the summer I wear a veskimo cooling backpack. possible to wear the vest type device under the backpack? assuming i left it somewhat loose to accommodate the inflation.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #124
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Ok here are the pics: First is the pic without a flash. The others are with flash.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #125
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
Ok here are the pics: First is the pic without a flash. The others are with flash.

TallRob,
I've been thinking about getting either or both of the Motoport and the HitAir vest. I already have the motoport overpants, so am familiar with the product.

- I can't tell from the pics - which Motoport jacket are you wearing?
- Is the vest in the pic inflated or uninflated?
- I know the Motoport jackets are already a bit bulky to start with - did you find the vest to by difficult to wear with this jacket?

Really appreciate your thoughts, as this is exactly the combination I am considering.

Thanks,

tim
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #126
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
After 30 years riding, 26 since my last "off" and only doing around 5500 miles per year nowdays, I'm pretty low risk. Which doesn't stop me being careful or wearing good gear, but it does tend to prevent me spending hundreds on the latest thing. As I said, I suspect the time will come, and it may well be my next jacket, but not before I need a new jacket.
The fates read ADVRider; two days later, I had an accident with my motorcycle.

At about midnight after an afternoon of riding I pulled up behind my car and trailer, parked in a side street, hopped off the bike, unlocked the back of the car, removed my helmet, gloves and jacket, put them in the car, turned on the rear flood light, picked up the tie down straps for the bike, turned around and walked firmly and confidently into the front crossbar of the trailer.

For about half a second I flailed about, hitting each limb on one or more solid parts of trailer or bike and comprehensively failing to stay upright, before finding myself lying on my back beyond the trailer, next to the bike, wishing I hadn't done that.

The bike just sat innocently on its side stand right next to me, having missed its opportunity to fall over on top of me. I think I gently headbutted the left handlebar at some point on the way down, but my (new!) spectacles were still on my face and undamaged.

After a minute or so I decided to try to stand up, then immediately changed my mind and decided to lie there for a few minutes longer and see if the pain subsided, glad there was no one around to panic and make a fuss.

I still can't figure out where my right arm went as this happened, but it felt rather like someone has tried to pull it off my shoulder. My head never hit the ground, and basically I have no single injury worthy of immediate medical attention, while having battered or bruised all four limbs and strained various joints.

I have decided two wheeled vehicles are bloody dangerous and I shall be more careful around my trailer in future.

At least I'm joking about it now.

And of course this is one accident where an airbag jacket wouldn't have helped because:
A) I wouldn't have been tethered to the bike
B) My jacket was in the back of the car
C) All the damage was to my limbs

But then steering wheel airbags don't help in every crash either.

8-)

Graham
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #127
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

1)air mesh kevlar jacket
2) its uninflated
3) adds a little bulk to it. but virtually no weight. The vest is extremely light weight and i lose no range of motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
TallRob,
I've been thinking about getting either or both of the Motoport and the HitAir vest. I already have the motoport overpants, so am familiar with the product.

- I can't tell from the pics - which Motoport jacket are you wearing?
- Is the vest in the pic inflated or uninflated?
- I know the Motoport jackets are already a bit bulky to start with - did you find the vest to by difficult to wear with this jacket?

Really appreciate your thoughts, as this is exactly the combination I am considering.

Thanks,

tim
Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #128
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Finished hooking up the cord to the frame of my bike. One important observation. If you are 6'9" I dont think the Japanese had you in mind during their testing phase. I definetly cant stand up fully even with the cord slack removed. So, I hope Safermoto offers a free cord upgrade for tall guys. A good 8" more cord will do.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #129
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
Finished hooking up the cord to the frame of my bike. One important observation. If you are 6'9" I dont think the Japanese had you in mind during their testing phase. I definetly cant stand up fully even with the cord slack removed. So, I hope Safermoto offers a free cord upgrade for tall guys. A good 8" more cord will do.

Thanks.
Rob,

let me see what i can scare up for you, thanks for the pics that Luminex really shows up when you light it

On another note I finally got some time to take some Neck Bag pics and video. Here are the pics of the neck bag deployed after I took my helmet off. I will post links to the videos once YouTube processes them

Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #130
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Videos should be live in a bit at these links

Fitting the Neck Vest with Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket and a HJC helmet

Deploying the vest with Jacket and Helmet fitted

Neck Vest RePack after Deployment
Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #131
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Ive never seen this before. It looks like the same thing that spidi's air bag leather racing suit has. How much is this? How does my vest's neck protectin compare to this? This is why was interested in the air back because I wanted doesnt to immobilize my neck. Does my vest immobilize my neck as well as this one does? i wish I saw this on my website. I think I might of bought this instead.

TallRob screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 04:26 PM
Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #132
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

It was 110F today in Agoura the MLV-R vest didnt really block any air from hitting my air mesh kevlar jacket. Poeple were very interested in then vest. I let a bunch of people try it on. Could not believe how light it was. I think I probably sold 3 of them....Quite a few people wrote down the safermoto.com address. I will only take 10% of those sales . But, Safermoto need to get a crew to frequent places like the Rock Store, Cooks Corner, or Alices restarant and set up a booth and show those vests around. You could sell a crap load.

TallRob screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 07:42 PM
Old 09-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #133
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
if the summer I wear a veskimo cooling backpack. possible to wear the vest type device under the backpack? assuming i left it somewhat loose to accommodate the inflation.
Think you would have to go with one of the other Veskimo cooler containers in order to use an airbag vest.
Can't see how you would fit the Veskimo backpack without the pack straps or the backpack itself interfering with the airbag deployment.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 07:18 PM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #134
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

I think you would have to put on the backpack first and then the neck bad harness on over it. But if its an MLV vest I dont see it working with a back pack,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
Think you would have to go with one of the other Veskimo cooler containers in order to use an airbag vest.
Can't see how you would fit the Veskimo backpack without the pack straps or the backpack itself interfering with the airbag deployment.

JR356
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #135
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

The rockstore photo guy took some daylight flash photos of my on the bike with the vest one. Its crazy how much is lights up. Like a thousand tiny LEDS. This think will be crazy bright at night!
Check out the Links for the photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/5031249474/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/5030655503/