Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Littlesammy78 OP
Mountain Carver

Oddometer: 10
First bike for my son?

Fellow inmates!

The time has come to put the boy on a non-pedal powered bike (a very proud time in a father's life). My son turns 5 this summer and I want to get the bike sometime in May. I am looking at a number of options and I am leaning Yamaha PW50 as it has electric start and a throttle governor. My neighbor mentioned that his son is riding an electric dirt bike with no problems, but I worry about getting out in the woods and it running out of juice.

What are your opinions about the beginner bikes and what were your experiences with getting your kid on their first bike?

-Sam
Littlesammy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
imho, first bike should be kick start, if he can't get it started, he shouldn't be riding
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 1,008
Great times.. Last year at 6 I got my son this..http://www.osetoc.com/?page_id=11.. Dont let the price get you , mine was much cheaper then what is listed there,

It is a fantastic bike. the torque is amazing (I rode it up two steps) and the top speed is parent controllable.
Its light, holds a charge well, and is best of all clean. we can bring it in the house. My son loves it. In the beginning he sat on it like a dirt bike, so we made a small seat for it, but as he got bigger (three inches) he now stands on the pegs.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
gullywasher
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I like the PW50. The shaft drive is great for untrained little feet.

As far as the electric bikes go, I took my nephew to some trails along a nearby river on his Razor (not sure what model) figuring it would be a 20 - 30 minute excusion. Two hours later, he rode it back onto the trailer. The little bike was impressive.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 927
my son started out on the pw50...but an older one with the kick-start.
I like it because i could vary the amount of throttle that he was given
so he could not get into too much trouble
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Honestly... get him a BMX, some protective gear, and build obstacles in the back yard to ride over.

It's safer, better for his fitness, and the lighter weight makes learning easier.

I rode my first motorcycle when I was 19 years old and it took me about a week to be faster (on dirt) than most people I rode with. It came from my skills on a BMX.
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,814
Im about to get my son his first bike..... but it looks like this

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
KaptSlo
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 258
Ditto on posts 7 & 3. Got my nephew a Strider when he was 2. He was riding it faster than I can walk (down the driveway incline) about three months later. Got him a used Oset for his 4th birthday. He never sat on a tricycle, and IMO has much better balance because of that.

It took about four months for him to fully transition to the Oset, but now he tears it up in the back yard. The battery life is about as long as his attention span (and mine), so that works out pretty good.

Be sure to get a good quality helmet - which is tough to do here in the states. He wore a kids bicycle helmet on the Strider. Now he's wearing a kids sized trials helmet that a buddy of mine bought in the UK; it's awesome. It's a real trials helmet, just midget sized.

His Mom was less than thrilled with the strider and the Oset. I think if she had her way he'd be covered in bubble-wrap every time he goes out the door.

KaptSlo screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 04:45 PM
KaptSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Komito
back in the saddle

Oddometer: 784
Same Boat

I'm in the same boat right now. We have neighbors that have the Oset and have been checking out the 50cc variety as well. Some models he can straddle and keep up, others like the TTR50 he can touch his toes, but can't keep the bike upright, so won't go with that one.

We have many trails that are friendly to electric bikes to, so may be a good option. I'll let you know what we practice with and what we eventually get. Let us know how it goes!

Komito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTeacher View Post
His Mom was less than thrilled with the strider and the Oset. I think if she had her way he'd be covered in bubble-wrap every time he goes out the door.
its like ..... its like..... the same woman!
Quote:
Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Littlesammy78 OP
Mountain Carver

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im about to get my son his first bike..... but it looks like this

Yeah, he has been using a strider bike for over a year now and is pretty proficient with it. It is an awesome way for the kids to learn to balance. He went to a friends house and got on a trike for about half a second before he went back to his strider bike.

Lucky enough for me, my wife is down with riding (she goes up to the mountains on the back of my FZ1 all the time. You know you have a keeper when she will carve up some twisties with you.

Good stuff guys! Keep it coming!

-Sam
Littlesammy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 17,386
Z50R ( honda) was far easier for both of my children to ride.

kick start was easy, and the very low first gear and auto clutch made it easy to power up hills and offcamber scenarios where they stalled the PW50.

the PW50 would be great to learn in a football field, or flat area, but any stop/start on a hump had it struggling for powerband and torque output.

I agree with the kick start it themselves, and the z50 starts EASY

Heck I even rode it 2 up with them many times, it would pull my 190lbs+a 10 year old kiddo up a really steep grave hill and never complain.

great little bikes.

this was my sons, then my daughters a few years later..
I sold it a few years back and miss it actually

Old 02-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #13
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
+1 for the Strider and OSET combo

My number one reason for getting the electric OSET is due to noise. I don't live out in the country or have a giant yard. I have a tiny little back yard. But b/c of the silent motor I take my kid down to the field at the end of our street or the school field right behind our house. I ride my mountain bike and he putts around on his electric bike.
I'd be nervous taking it out on the woods trails too, worried about range. But my first grader isn't ready for that anyway. In a few years I figured I'd get him a normal gas bike.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 AM   #14
Woodduck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Terrain Dependent

We had both a PW50 and an elec trials bike. Youngest didn't like the noise and loved the elec bike.
Like they say above, when governed and on reasonable terrain easy 2 hours. After a few weeks and they know what they are doing you'll drain a set of batteries in under an hour, then wait for recharge. We got a second set, in our instance UPS batteries. After much less than a year it sits in the shed unused. Petrol is so much better for spending a day riding. We are lucky we have 40 acres of fairly step land and heaps of single track, plus fair chunk of open space, obstacles and all sorts and batteries just don't cope. Probably do 3-4hrs of actual riding time each day as a reference for my comments.
As a method of getting started they are good, but certainly weren't suited to our ultimate use. If we could have borrowed one for a month of intense riding, then gone petrol that would have been the ideal mix.
Elec is a lot more robust than even the dealer thought they would be. The only thing we didn't try doing on it was the creek.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesammy78 View Post
Yeah, he has been using a strider bike for over a year now and is pretty proficient with it. It is an awesome way for the kids to learn to balance. He went to a friends house and got on a trike for about half a second before he went back to his strider bike.
How old was he when you started him on it? My little man is just 15 months but he's bigger than most two year olds and I think he may actually be ready. I just need some football equipment as he tends to take after his old man a little bit too much

Quote: