Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Oddometer: 535
Question Convicted of standing on the pegs???

As many on the forum (most?) know, Florida has an "anti-stunting" statute that provides (among other things) an $1100+ fine for "stunting". One of the qualifiers of stunting (as defined by F.S.S. 316.2085(2)) is "sitting astride the seat".

Rumor has it that you can be cited for standing on the pegs while riding on the roadway.

I'm curious whether anyone has actually been convicted of this based on standing only.

If you have personal knowledge of a case where this has happened and don't mind sharing the details, I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
As many on the forum (most?) know, Florida has an "anti-stunting" statute that provides (among other things) an $1100+ fine for "stunting". One of the qualifiers of stunting (as defined by F.S.S. 316.2085(2)) is "sitting astride the seat".

Rumor has it that you can be cited for standing on the pegs while riding on the roadway.

I'm curious whether anyone has actually been convicted of this based on standing only.

If you have personal knowledge of a case where this has happened and don't mind sharing the details, I'd appreciate it.
If I were to be stopped or harassed for this I would run it up the flagpole with official complaints to no end... I do 1000 mile days, standing is the best way to stretch while going through small towns...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,732
Yes it is illegal and many here have been cited fir it while in Florida.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike View Post
Yes it is illegal and many here have been cited fir it while in Florida.
I'm aware that it's illegal. If you can cite a case in which the rider was convicted of "standing", I'd like to hear about it.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,567
So, you can wiggle in your car seat, move the seat up and down, fore and aft, put on the cruise control, take your foot off the gas pedal but you can't stand up and rearrange your shorts from your ass crack? BS...
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Cheap Beer & Tenderloins | "You know your getting old when a bad hair day includes your nose, eyebrows and ears" - Inmate - advNZer?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
WillieJ
MotorMan

Oddometer: 143
Not illegal in WA

Not illegal in WA and I do it frequently to stretch. LEO here and it sounds like a BS law wherever it exists.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I do a quick stand up all the time to air out and stretch a little. Nothing remotely close to stunting. That law sounds over kill to me.
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post

B.C. in Canada has the same 'stunting' law. There have been many convictions on this new law, charged with stunting when simply standing to stretch. I've been given a warning by the local constabulary, mainly because of my age [55 yr olds don't normally stunt] and my bike [42 yr old Norton].
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #9
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,585
I got a ticket. I took it to court and won. Not that taking a day off work is a win, but I won because the intent of the law is to stop exhibition stunts. My intention was only to make myself more visible to other traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,434
Did it a few times today-- for example, coming off on the Interstate off-ramp (straight, lower speed, no close traffic) onto a secondary road I'll stand for a few seconds and just to get the kinks out. Wouldn't do it in traffic, not inclined to do it it at Interstate speed but it is a good safety maneuver.

FWIW, YMMV.

--Bill
Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #11
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
My intention was only to make myself more visible to other traffic.
I do it all the time. It is a something I do to make a tailgater back off. I stand up and they usually back off a bit. Good to know that, I will never go to Florida.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #12
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,203
I do it all the time and while it may be illegal, I would think that most cops would see it on an individual bases and use some discretion/common sense.

I even do it with a passenger and say in the intercom, "hey, I'm gonna stand for a couple seconds to stretch my legs".

I have never seen anyone getting ticketed for this.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #13
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
I do it all the time to adjust the equipment and get some blood flowing back into my ass....Never been hassled for doing it. Not even sure if its illegal here...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
There have been many convictions on this new law, charged with stunting when simply standing to stretch.
While I'm mainly interested in Florida cases, if you can point me to the details or trial transcript for any of these convictions based on standing, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #15
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
I got a ticket. I took it to court and won. Not that taking a day off work is a win, but I won because the intent of the law is to stop exhibition stunts. My intention was only to make myself more visible to other traffic.
If you don't mind sharing, can you PM me the details, or give me your name and docket number, or a copy of the trial transcript?

On edit:. I just realized you're in Canada. Do they have public record laws similar to the states? Will I be able to even gain access to this?