Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #211
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
I'm considering it this summer. Too much rain in the spring, and I camp out exclusively. It's been 35 years since I last rode the Alcan and I hear the road is mostly paved now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Are there any older riders thinking of a trip up the alcan this coming spring -? Any one plan on camping out ?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #212
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Are there any older riders thinking of a trip up the alcan this coming spring -? Any one plan on camping out ?
I'm 70, and am seriously considering another attempt at Alaska. I was enroute there from Michigan in 2011, however, my pillion buddy, Pugsley, became quite sick, probably from the constant heavy rain, so had to belay the trip a bit. We made it as far as Smithy, British Columbia, then headed for Prince Rupert, took the ferry to Vancouver Island, etc. This time, Pugsley will have better gear for that trip.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #213
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 283
ride slower

thanks for the old mans page.just turned 60 myself.i ride alot slower these days.not that i cant run on the interstate also.i really enjoy touring on secondary roads instead of jam packed interstate highways.i like that saying from jimmy carters day.BE NIFTY DRIVE 50.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #214
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,664
Nice thread. Odd it took a 3 year hiatus.

Just 55 here but feelin' it. The gnarly singletrack stuff on lite bikes is getting more and more difficult. Well, I shouldn't say difficult, I can still do it, but I'm sore for a week. The dualsport and roadie are more enjoyable. I guess we have to decide what's enjoyable and comforatable and what we have to let go.

Glad to see all the old timers here, very encouraging.

Two new bikes in the past two years.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #215
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Puke

48 here.....I'll be racing the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge, in the 40+ Ironman class, once again this year. I'll be riding my trusty XR400 once again. I finished 3rd in my class last year.

I rife a KLR650 almost every day, 62,000 miles on an '06 model.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #216
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Its great to see the response from riders getting a little up there in age and having a ball riding that bike. Gotta tell you doesn't matter where I am going as long as I got wind blowing on me . There is somthing about riding that bike thats pretty hard to explain to folks not into it , your on this net so you know what I mean.. Should a trip north work out for some of you give me a heads up I have a spot for a tent . :0) ride safe
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #217
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,387
I'm 59, turn 60 this year, I've never been without a bike since I was 16. I don't ride off road much these days....not for lack of wanting to. I settled for just riding trials, but didn't ride at all last year, for some financial and some physical reasons....making some changes to the TLR200 and will get out there someday. My road riding is back roads where I seldom see top gear, and still do as much gravel as I can find. I still think I push the bike pretty hard, but on gravel have lost the ability to just toss it in and ride way over the limit - nice little tail slides coming out of corners are the thrills I get these days.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #218
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Motu, sounds like you are hanging in there . Gotta give it to you, gravel is somthing that I try to go around. The bike you mentioned is one that pretty appealing . Wondering what part of New Zealand your in and how the riding is down there . ?? New Zealand is special..
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #219
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Soon to qualify for Medicare at 65 years old

I'm really enjoying retirement. I have accumulated 47,000 on two bikes since I pulled the plug. The free time has allowed me to explore America on two wheels. I ride a Honda Silver Wing with 600 cc's. I'm restoring and enjoying a small a Honda Trail 90 just for fun. I have traveled in 15 states and Onterio Canada. Really I'm just a kid in experience compared to most you. I have only been riding for 5 years if you don't count a few small Honda's when I was in high school and Collage.

windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #220
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,375
Has this article been posted?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21350883
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #221
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Klay , nope haven't seen it posted., there are good points in the article for all ages . I find that as I get older I try to get smarter to cut down chances of injury . When any of us turn on the television we are inundated with new findings on what's going to kill us.. If we locked into all the warnings out there we probably would have a a pretty dull life and lock our selves in our closets. Just hoping that as we all get older we are given the insight into knowing when its time to throw in the towel.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #222
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kind hope this thread hung in there for a while, looks like the last old rider died out!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #223
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,664
Malcolm Smith

Malcolm has to be eighty or close. I bought my new TE630 out at his store last year, and when I picked it up he was there autographing another 630 for another customer so I got him to sign mine too. Right on the front number plate with a sharpie.

His favorite ride these days is a Husaberg 570 that's been super-moto'd, he was pushing it out through the showroom one day when I was there, just gonna go for a putt.

When he signed my bike I told him my story about buying a new Penton Six Days in 1973 and put lights and a plate on it and rode it to school. The term 'dualsport' had not even been invented yet. His eyes got real big and he says, "I've got one of those upstairs, wanna see it?" Well of course, so I got a tour of the whole place, including his office which is huge, bigger than my livingroom and FULL of memorabilia and trophies and awards. Back in the day he sold Husky's and Pentons and that was it. And sure enough, he had an old beat up six-days up with some other vintage bikes yet to be restored.

He's the nicest guy, just loves motorcycles, got a great store out there in Riverside California.

There's a good old-bike-guy story for y'all. Sorry I don't have any pics.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #224
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
i dont know where "old" falls in... its a sort of perspective.

put it this way. i felt i was "too old" to be riding a full-tuck sport bike. so. i sold it and bought a KLR. never happier. :)

took my m/c and auto license same day. carried my brother's bike to city hall where GSP was giving the exams. rolled the bike out of the back of the truck. did the auto test. parked it and climbed on the ('71?) CB400F... fired it up and ran some laps around city hall for the examiner. been loving it ever since.

my job has given my more than my fair share of broken bones, fluid-filled joints, muscle strains and scars. my shoulder was sore as heck on the ride home last nite.... but oh, man was it such a pleasure.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #225
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
61 here. Except for a few years in the AF, been riding since I was 16. Still ride NETRA Turkey runs in the summer (but I now go around the hero sections). I've found that the key to it all is to keep moving....exercise (even a little) every day. See the Dr., take your meds always remember no matter how bad it gets, there's always someone else worse off than you. Rock On.
'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote