Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #46
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hey Pete, you about? How is that new ktm sm?
dont.crash.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #47
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont.crash.it
Hey Pete, you about?
yep i'm here. we check the thread each day to see where you are and what you've been up to.

Quote:
How is that new ktm sm?
Umm... haven't really been out on it since I rode it home. Just a couple of short rides.

I'm not sure what to think of it..

So did you and Simon actually do a bit of off-road stuff?

How are you guys finding the bikes/gear/riding now you've had a bit of time to settle in?

kiwipeet screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 02:51 AM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #48
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
Umm... haven't really been out on it since I rode it home. Just a couple of short rides.

I'm not sure what to think of it...
Does it feel familar to the 950 adv cause of the engine, and then funny as the layout is different (and you're expecting the adv?)

Quote:
So did you and Simon actually do a bit of off-road stuff?
Yup, up tracks comparable to to melborne. Plain dirt roads little front wheel drive cars were one, then some deep rutted stuff. Was a tight turn past a fallen tree and up a very steep bump too. Some ice as we got higher up the mountain. First river crossing, only a foot deep though. Si handled it all brilliantly esp for first time offroad on his AT, and on road biased tires. Might be his first off roading since riding farm bikes as a nipper?

Quote:
How are you guys finding the bikes/gear/riding now you've had a bit of time to settle in?
Mine is great with the tool tubes up front, really helps the weight distribution. Moved Simons up front too, just along the front of the bash plate. The tire may just foul the tube if bottoming out the suspension, but it won't grip. Got close to putting the tube on the ground doing tight circles in a car park too (will touch down before the pegs). Should be okay though, but we'll have to see once the front TKC 80 goes on.

dont.crash.it screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 05:01 AM
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #49
Ange.of.all.trades
Perspex Rules

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Nah, I'm just daft eh!!!
Not as daft as I am... I have just come back from work early to climb up into my loft again for another 5 or so hours of fun...
Ange.of.all.trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #50
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
...good stuff....

Keep it coming and be sure to add more pics! Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange.of.all.trades
Have you been smoking the funny stuff in that hostel? It's either that or the dehydration you have suffered from your unfortunate encounter with a kebab that has you talking in metaphors!! Either way, I think I am scared for your sanity, are you suffering from cabin fever in Malaga? Don't stop though, keeps me entertained. I think that perhaps I have the same symptoms... try spending over 12 hours cooped up in an attic! I think I will stop here..... cool photos btw...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #51
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Does it feel familar to the 950 adv cause of the engine, and then funny as the layout is different (and you're expecting the adv?)
Will reply here instead of threadjacking.

So... how long with you be in Spain before crossing over to Africa?

kiwipeet screwed with this post 01-14-2010 at 03:45 AM
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #52
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh Help: Blown fork seal in Morocco

arse!!! cleaning the dust cap out and bleeding didn't fix it... any ideas Peet

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post11905533
Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #53
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
arse!!! cleaning the dust cap out and bleeding didn't fix it... any ideas Peet

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post11905533
Have replied in forkseal thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542199
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #54
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Mork to Orson come in Orson...

Any news Mike?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #55
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Hey we're in Ouzarzate at "bikershome"
http://www.bikershome.net/

chur, more tomorrow

oh yes, cleaned the fork seal with a bit of thin plastic. Sort of like flossing yer teeth. Took half a dozen attempts. Think the extra oil I lost flushed it clean.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #56
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

The trip from Marrakesh to Ouarzazate was awesome. The time went by pretty quickly. The road reminded me a little of the gourge near Gissy where I grew up. Was a long stretch just rolling on and off the throttle and up and down a gear through the sweeping bends. Chilled out ride... was serene, blissful even.

Couldn't have been happier if I was floating in shallows of the Mediterranean on a sunny day, being gently felated by a beautiful woman. Awesome.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #57
Ange.of.all.trades
Perspex Rules

Oddometer: 28
Sounds good, I hope you've taken pictures... Are you guys going to take the route from Mhamid or Zagora to Foum Zguid next? It took me ages to program it in to MapSource!!
Ange.of.all.trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #58
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

chefchaouen

Main square, a line of restaurants on the other side. Ask for mint tea without sugar and the chef is so annoyed he makes it sweeter. One part mint, one part water, 500 parts sugar. Maybe a dozen wasps drowned in leftover half a glass. They ignored the honey and jam I had for breakfast and went after the tea.

Hardest Hashish seller yet.

The hash sellers here do their best to ruin the place. They stick to you like dog shit on a shoe and some are just as pleasant (to be fair some of them are funny). Anyway, they all have the same sales patter, welcome welcome, 1000 times welcome, Spanish? English? then a bit of chit chat, then fumar? fumar? When you say no, they think you mean the quality isn't good, then you must want opium, then you must want to go to their "fathers" hash plantation, then why are you visiting the Rif? Then, his friend thinks aha, he didn't want hash from him, they MUST want it from me!!!

Others try to butter you up a bit, our god is the same god, we're all the same people, we eat we drink, we fuck. A funny line the first time. Second time I heard it the bloke only had one tooth left. Oh dear, he forgot we have differing standards of dental hygiene and a different idea about how much sugar should go in a cup of tea.

dont.crash.it screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 03:52 PM
Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #59
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Fes

Thought Fes would be a step up in the hassle stakes, but was pretty chilled out. You tell someone no, you don't want to buy something, they pleasantly tell you to take your time (as you'll come back in a few minutes and buy it then).

We were a hit here for buying fresh fruit and vege to cook. A few locals went through our shopping and were horrified I was using egg plant in a vege stew (it was awesome btw!).

The tannery

Had to take a guide from a leather shop to see this. I was a bit mean and looked through the sandals and asked about the sizes. All sizes was the confident reply? Are you sure? yes yes, what size? I take 50... he went a bit quiet, and ratted through some size 44's before conceding defeat and offering to make some custom fit ones ready the next afternoon. WOuld have been good but we were leaving in the morning.

Si getting the low down

skins drying on a nearby hill

dont.crash.it screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 04:30 PM
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #60
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Marakesh

Had fun at the hostel here, got a lot of abuse from an old British bloke Peter (very funny guy). Also, Chloe took us to an illicit bottle store for few bottle of cheap red wine - great!!! payment was to take here out on a bike the next day. Went for a ride near the hostal and stumbled on a local market.

This dude wanted his picture taken so many times.

He gave Chloe a hot green chilli. She translated his french as saying it was mild and not hot. Hmmm, I took a big bite and agreed it wasn't hot at all and handed her half to eat (I love chilli, hur hur).

yum

Drinking buddies

We also went to a crazy pub, and saw I some of the local's pickup techniques (so funny). Some smoothie stood half a foot away from Chloe and smacked his lips at her (like I would at a piece of fried chicken).

She then told some other suitor I was her fiancée,... this was like telling a hash seller you don't smoke. Anyway, he offered to make love to her all night, and invited her to the corner of the bar. As Chloe translated I did a mock horrified double take and gave him a raised eyebrow Gemma would be proud of (Gem is my boss) and he ran off.

Suitor number three was a classy dude. His line was "I have 29 years in the air conditioning business, a wife and grown children. He would give Chloe a hotel and a flat (with great air con presumably). He was a man of means, a very ample stomach and a fantastic moustache. That was AFTER Chloe and pointed me out as her husband. If she said she was single i think he would have spirited her away in Borat's wedding sack.

Very funny night out, ending us getting busted sneaking in late to the hostal and Chloe was caught taking a leak in the garden. haaa haaa!!!

dont.crash.it screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 05:26 PM