Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
rapidoxidationman OP
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,764
I want a Ducati.

There, I said it.
I've reached the point in my life where I feel like I am smart enough, wise enough, mature enough, and mechanically inclined enough (not necessarily in that order) to own an Italian. Or to be owned by one, whatever.

Now that the make is decided, what model am I looking for? The Mutistrada gets first notice just because of the name. I am prone to turning left onto that barely-a-two-track that gets overgrown as it climbs the mountain and dumps you out into another state, so the ManyRoads would be wise, as far as Ducs go. The ST4 easily catches my eye just cause it looks good and can carry luggage. Monoposto doesn't do it, cuz there'd be nowhere to put that hot hitchhiker. A full on rocket ship wouldn't either - the forward lean position just doesn't interest me even if 150mph does. A Monster? Maybe. Can it carry hard bags? The lack of wind/weather protection puts me off a bit, and the small gas tank kinda limits range too.

How about retaining value? My KLR sized budget of about$5K would put me comfortably on a 'strada that is in FM right now, but will that model be dropping value quickly? What model has a chance of increasing in value, assuming that I respect the machine and keep it right side down?

Anybody got thoughts or the bike that I'm looking for?

Edit: See post 66

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:28 AM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 11,212
Widen your search to include a Hyper Strada. Not as much plastic up front, but still has the ability to carry some luggage. I suspect that the 1 piece seat would be much easier to have customized for a taller or different fit.

I may have been bit by the Ducati bug......
Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
rapidoxidationman OP
Easily trainable

I suspect the 'strada stock height might be pushing it for my 32" inseam, but I was pretty comfy on my '05 Vstrom so it ain't like I can't use the balls of my feet to keep a bike upright.

I'll look at Hyper stradas too. Thanks!

CL has an '05 Multi with only 2300 miles for $5500, FM has an '06 with 12K miles and a few tasty bits for a bit less. About the same distance from me.

Then there's the '99 SS900IE with 16K miles for $4200...

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post 04-21-2015 at 06:54 PM
Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
barnyard
Verbal tactician

I test rode a 2012 MTS and it was pretty freakin awesome. I have a 36" inseam, so taller is better for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

How about retaining value? My KLR sized budget of about$5K would put me comfortably on a 'strada that is in FM right now, but will that model be dropping value quickly? What model has a chance of increasing in value, assuming that I respect the machine and keep it right side down?

Anybody got thoughts or the bike that I'm looking for?
Quote:
Then there's the '99 SS900IE with 16K miles for $4200...
Wrong generation.

Just pulled out and given it's biannual cleaning. Unfortunately, I must have skipped a startup or two, ok, three or more, and now it falls in the category of ran when parked.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
barnyard
Verbal tactician

The service interval on the newest generation is not horrible.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
rapidoxidationman OP
Easily trainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Wrong generation.

Just pulled out and given it's biannual cleaning. Unfortunately, I must have skipped a startup or two, ok, three or more, and now it falls in the category of ran when parked.

Tell me about the generations. Valve adjustment intervals? Bad gas tank fittings? What makes it wrong?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
barnyard
Verbal tactician

The 1200s have a 15k valve service interval. The 1100s and 1000s are less.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
rapidoxidationman OP
Easily trainable

Any special tools that can't be faked in the shed? I've torn down a duramax diesel until I was looking at the pistons (and put it back together successfully) so I'm not scared of wrenching on an unknown quantity. Seems like valve adjustments would only get easier as time goes by - as long as there's not a thousand dollar special widget involved to hold things in one spot or some such.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,130
Quote:
Any special tools that can't be faked in the shed? I've torn down a duramax diesel until I was looking at the pistons (and put it back together successfully) so I'm not scared of wrenching on an unknown quantity. Seems like valve adjustments would only get easier as time goes by - as long as there's not a thousand dollar special widget involved to hold things in one spot or some such.
The air cooled engines are easy. Desmoquattro not as much. The MTS1000 dual spark is one of my favorites. If you like the ST, get the ST3 not the ST4. The ST4 is a real pain to do the valve check. The plastic on the MTS is a little finicky to remove. The ST more so.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,733
Probably get better responses posting this in road warriors.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,651
I purchased a new 2011 Multistrada and hoped to do my own valve services ( I'm no stranger to the insides of a motor) and found it way to daunting as a lot of others have. With the longer service interval it's a little more tolerable.

The new version of the Multi is a truly awesome ride, my advice is to buy used and not take the huge devaluation they seem to have in the first few years.

There is nothing wrong with the older versions and the valve services can be done by mere mortals and the prices seem to be great on them, just not the huge horsepower and elecrtonics.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 06:14 PM
anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 AM   #13
legion
Pope's Nose

Oddometer: 12,847
I've got a Hypermotard 1100S that was fairly cheap by Duc standards (used) and didn't even have 1000 miles on it when I bought it. Goes, stops and turns well. Has that unique visceral thing that defines Ducati, is pretty, and a hoot to ride.

Whatever you get consider dropping the gearing a tad. Duc likes to send 'em out of the factory with really tall gearing. Might want to open the breathing a little too. They make a lot of sound that's right in the lusty range.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #14
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 10,702
I've owned two S4R models. I did the valve check on one, and a belt job on the other. Valves suck. A lot. One of the few things I will pay $450 for a shop to do (at least that's what it cost the 1 time I had it done).
Last fall I picked up a 2010 Streetfighter 1098 for 10.5 with 4500 miles. Akrapovich. Open clutch cover (I put a solid one on). Goes like stink using 155 ponies. The exhaust sound is unique and obnoxiously loud.Brakes like I've never experienced.
I've never ridden any bike that can duplicate the Ducati experience
That said, I sold my S4R a couple years ago because of my knees. Time heals all thoughts of discomfort
This will probably be a short term bike for me. Fully soft the suspension is murder around town and on bumps at speed. Balls pay the price.
A Multi is a fine bike, but maintenence is still gonna suck and parts are spendy. I'll consider one when the discomfort of the Fighter wipes the shit eating grin off my face

Never had reliability problems, but only about 20k miles between the 3.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #15
ducatiindian
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ducati 1100 MTS is perfect for what you want to do
Learn to do your own valves, replace air filter - www..ducati-tech.com
Look for hand warmers, luggage.
Get suspension setup right, bleed brakes

Enjoy NOW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ducatiindian is offline   Reply With Quote