Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #361
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'm not sure this is the place to ask about this, but I figured some of you might have some experience here.....I
So I'm curious, how does the TSA view these kinds of lights? Are they okay, or do they take a dim view? If I am carrying one or have it in my carry-on luggage while boarding a plane, is it going to cause me any grief? I'm thinking probably not, but the light wasn't inexpensive and I would prefer not to have it confiscated at an airport security line.
I think the odds of a screener giving you grief over your light are very slim. If one does decide to be a twit, you can always ask for a Supervisor. It's a tool, under 7". So long as the castellated bezel isn't sharp (I've seen some that are) it's not a weapon. Repeat after me, "The purpose of the bezel is to keep anything from coming in to contact with the hot lens. The castellations allow for airflow over the lens should the light be on while it is inadvertently in contact with something."

One of the nice things about my new Olight M30 is the bezel is removable.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #362
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post
I think the odds of a screener giving you grief over your light are very slim. If one does decide to be a twit, you can always ask for a Supervisor. It's a tool, under 7". So long as the castellated bezel isn't sharp (I've seen some that are) it's not a weapon. Repeat after me, "The purpose of the bezel is to keep anything from coming in to contact with the hot lens. The castellations allow for airflow over the lens should the light be on while it is inadvertently in contact with something."

One of the nice things about my new Olight M30 is the bezel is removable.
I like the way you think...
My ITP is usually on me every day - tethered to a small sharp folder.
Dad always told me a good Guinnea always has a knife - learned the value of a handy (quality) flashlight torch here. Just waitin' on that new headlamp release now...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #363
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
In adding to my collection I picked up a light that would have broad appeal. Puts out a ton of light due to the xml emitter. Way brighter than my favorite jetbeam pictured next to it. Cheap too for the output. I got the warm tint emitter. You need to use li ion batteries to get full output, but regular aa will work too. Great bike light.

Xeno e03 from tactical hid.com

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #364
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,500
Just picked up one of these:

4 Sevens Quark 123/2 Turbo 'X'

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2621

I'm starting to think that that manufacturer lumen ratings are like watts ratings on stereo equipment.... They are only relative to the individual manufacturers and can't be compared from maker to maker... Kind of like how my old school 25 watt Marantz sounds way better than my 150 watt Sony stereo

Though 'only' rated at 450 lumens..... this flashlight easily makes better light and throws it better than my Ohlight M30 Triton that is rated at 700 lumens....

This has CREE's new XM-L emitter that is slightly larger than the previous generation and is coupled with a larger head than most of the other 4 Seven's models to develop better throw... and man... does it throw... I can light up the tops of trees from two hundred yards... I can see the variation in color on the shingles on the top of my barn from a hundred yards... fucker is bright..... and up close it is downright blinding at full power...

Size is very nice... barely to the end of your hand on the back side, with a nice sturdy, heavy feel... knurling is everywhere for easy holding... Head is kind of big... but no bigger than most lights putting out this amount of light... Funny.. it almost seems small for putting out so much light... but it seems like they are just getting smaller and more powerful...so this is in keeping with the theme....

The one thing I don't really care for...or at least haven't gotten used to yet.... is that is that it like the 4 Sevens tactical lights; it's user interface is programmable to two settings only... so that if you want anything other than the two setting that are programmed, you have to reprogram one of the settings... Great from a simplicity stand-point... but I really like my regular Quark's ability to cycle through all of it's settings by the partial depression of the on/off switch...

It has a total of 8 outputs... five regular settings from dim to 'don't shine that shit in my face' and three strobes; strobe, SOS and beacon.... I use about three of them on my Quark, I expect about the same here...but it is good to know they are there.....

Runs on CR123A's which are (relatively) available... and I have for other flashlights... so I guess that is cool... Some of the really powerful lights are starting to come with proprietary batteries.. that require special chargers and such... which is great I guess if you need a shit-ton of light on a regular basis (law enforcement/military/industrial etc).. but for regular intermittent use, might be a bit much....

Not the cheapest thing out there at $85 bucks... but I've had my regular quark now for long enough to know that the quality is up there and that it is my go to light for daily stuff... However, at nearly half of what the Ohlight Triton M30 cost, it seems like a pretty good deal to me...

Anyway...

I like it so far... will report back....

Cheers,

Aaron

A-Bone screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 06:29 PM
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #365
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,987
bump it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
In adding to my collection I picked up a light that would have broad appeal. Puts out a ton of light due to the xml emitter. Way brighter than my favorite jetbeam pictured next to it. Cheap too for the output. I got the warm tint emitter. You need to use li ion batteries to get full output, but regular aa will work too. Great bike light.

Xeno e03 from tactical hid.com

The Xeno e03 w/ Li-ion is a good light - I like that it cycles through the different light levels with a quick touch of the tail clickie, too.

When is the Zebra Light 502 coming out? 4th quarter is here already, dambit!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #366
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
No one should ever leave the house, or enter a building, without ready access to a reliable and bright flashlight.
As I get older, I find myself using my cell phone as an impromptu flashlight more often than I'd like. I start a bogus text message to make a white screen, then hold the phone next to what I want to read and hope for the best.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #367
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I buy only Maglites, they are made in the USA!!!!!!! They are a reliable well made flashlight.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #368
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I buy only Maglites, they are made in the USA!!!!!!! They are a reliable well made flashlight.
Throw a Malkoff Cree led drop in, in there, and you have a Freakin Beacon!
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/d...te-c-1_25.html
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #369
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,335
Quote:
...Maglites... They are a reliable well made flashlight.
I used to think that too.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #370
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,324
Quote:
Mag has a lot of catching up to do...

My father used to drive a Chevy. Now he runs a TDI. It's a superior vehicle.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #371
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Mag has a lot of catching up to do...
I wonder why Maglite doesn't offer a LED version. I actually like the size of the 3D version that I have at home. I wouldn't be afraid to crack someone over the head with it. If it produced better light it would be idea.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #372
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I wonder why Maglite doesn't offer a LED version. I actually like the size of the 3D version that I have at home. I wouldn't be afraid to crack someone over the head with it. If it produced better light it would be idea.
Seriously... I always liked the idea that my Maglite was basically a weapon as well as a flash light... In fact I have my daughter keep a decent size Maglite in her car even though she is sporting a much brighter..though much smaller.. 4Sevens in her purse.. I told her if she is ever on the side of the road to use the Maglite if for no other reason than as a deterent for anyone who might give her any trouble...

I know it has been covered in this thread a while ago.. but there are other upgrades available for Maglites... Some newer ones look better than the only so-so one I got (the Ministar5)...

http://www.batteryjunction.com/maglite-ledupgrades.html
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #373
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
They do and have for several years, I have 2 or 3 2aa versions with the conversion kits in them.

Got a 3d/2aa combo kit for $29 at home depot the other day. The 3d makes plenty enough light for me.

I'm gonna lose my flashlight. It's just a fact. Maglite is the best compromise for me.
If I lost a hundred dollar flashlight it would piss me off.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #374
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
They do and have for several years, I have 2 or 3 2aa versions with the conversion kits in them.

Got a 3d/2aa combo kit for $29 at home depot the other day. The 3d makes plenty enough light for me.

I'm gonna lose my flashlight. It's just a fact. Maglite is the best compromise for me.
If I lost a hundred dollar flashlight it would piss me off.
Wow, the last time I remember looking at Maglite I hadn't seen an LED option. I need to visit my home depot and see if they carry the LED version in store.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #375
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,324
Quote:
Wow, the last time I remember looking at Maglite I hadn't seen an LED option. I need to visit my home depot and see if they carry the LED version in store.
Remember, it's just that it "have" an LED, it's also which LED and what circuitry they use to drive it. While Mag has been resting on its laurels, smart & scrappy LED innovators have hit the market.

Will Mag recover? Do people still drive Chevys?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: