User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #391
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Now I need to order a replacement battery pac for my Ultra Stinger.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #392
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Now I need to order a replacement battery pac for my Ultra Stinger.
Hey man.. keep it safe for work.. this is a flashlight thread for godsakes....
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #393
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,023
I recently contacted Prenceton Tec with 3 broken flashlights. They sent me 3 new lights. Very happy with their customer service. The Impact LED is a good light too.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #394
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
I love aa flashlights I have a bunch. The ability to run lithium ion batteries they out perform the cr123 batteries and are rechargeable. What's not to like?

My xeno aa xml puts out 400 ish lumens and was $30. No strobe it's my favorite light

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #395
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I love aa flashlights I have a bunch. The ability to run lithium ion batteries they out perform the cr123 batteries and are rechargeable. What's not to like?

My xeno aa xml puts out 400 ish lumens and was $30. No strobe it's my favorite light
Sorry but a XM-L won't achieve 400 lumens out of a AA battery.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #396
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
I have a Coleman Bubba, which is a cheap plastic LED that takes 6 AA rechargeable's or Alkaline's. It is about 140l on Alk, brighter on rechargeable's. I put a set of rechargeables in it about a month ago and use it all the time and it is still working.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #397
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,964
Quote:

*Saliah - see below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have a Coleman Bubba, which is a cheap plastic LED that takes 6 AA rechargeable's or Alkaline's. It is about 140l on Alk, brighter on rechargeable's. I put a set of rechargeables in it about a month ago and use it all the time and it is still working.
I bought one of the xeno's and use an AA Lion rechargable in it - don't know if the life is longer than it would be with a standard AA :shrug ...but I got the rechargables now.

I've noticed the xeno is becoming finicky with the tail clicky though - sometimes I need to twist/untwist the tail cap a little to get it to illuminate. While I like this lite, I don't trust it. YMMV
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #398
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Sorry but a XM-L won't achieve 400 lumens out of a AA battery.
Sorry, I stand corrected. 490 lumens. I'm using 14500 Li Ion cells. Compared to my Jetbeams with XPG emitters its easily twice as bright but floody which I prefer in an all around light. i've tried NiMH batteries as well as AA alkys and it's about 40% like stated. I've not measured the actual output, but others on CPF have and I see no reason to doubt it. My is the neutral tint. Either way is blows all my AA lights out of the water and for cheap money.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...!-(CW-NW-WW!)&

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #399
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Sorry, I stand corrected. 490 lumens. I'm using 14500 Li Ion cells. Compared to my Jetbeams with XPG emitters its easily twice as bright but floody which I prefer in an all around light. i've tried NiMH batteries as well as AA alkys and it's about 40% like stated. I've not measured the actual output, but others on CPF have and I see no reason to doubt it. My is the neutral tint. Either way is blows all my AA lights out of the water and for cheap money.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...!-(CW-NW-WW!)&
Exactly my point, 14500 ain't AA

You can't argue that you love AA flashlights, giving a high output number to support your claim, but finally admit that you use Li-ion in the said flashlight...it's just not fair.

Not every AA flashlights accept 3.7v Li-ion.

Sorry, nitpicking, but you should have said "I love 14500 flashlights"
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #400
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Is there a 2AA LED with a strobe function?
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #401
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Exactly my point, 14500 ain't AA

You can't argue that you love AA flashlights, giving a high output number to support your claim, but finally admit that you use Li-ion in the said flashlight...it's just not fair.

Not every AA flashlights accept 3.7v Li-ion.

Sorry, nitpicking, but you should have said "I love 14500 flashlights"
That seems like a fair statement to me...and I agree... saying that you are getting 400+lm out of an AA is a little misleading... It's kind of like saying that your bone-stock BMW 3 series makes 440hp while failing to mention that its an M3 GTS.

The power output of those 14500's is even higher than CR123s.... however... and I think this may be what Sailah was getting at... the 14500 flashlights will accept AAs too...which is about as universal a battery size as there is...and that is good for in-the-middle-of-nowhere availability... You might not get nearly as much light out of an AA but you will have light..
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #402
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
With all this talk about lumens - is anyone into low-end lumens (as in moonlight 0.2, or low lows of <5)?

I won't buy another flashlight with a low mode over 5 lumens. As a camper, my eyes are usually in night vision mode and so I find 90% of my flashlight usage equally split between the 0.2 (moonlight), 2, 4 and 7 lumen modes. At night, I'll use something in the 20s for hiking in rougher terrain, and 80-200 if bicycling at speed, but otherwise I'll tend to use the lowest setting for a given task.

Advantages of a good low-end:
- Preserves your night vision
- Allows you to remain stealth, or be less annoying to others
- Crazy long runtimes with moonlight running continuous 2 weeks per AA
- You can pull "dead" batteries from other flashlights and use them for hours or days

Every manufacturer seems to chase the high lumens race, but it's surprising how few offer good low ends .

Snapper screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 10:04 AM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #403
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,264
What low end light are you using? Links?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #404
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post
Is there a 2AA LED with a strobe function?
If you're prepared to spend over say $30, I'd say it's hard to find one that doesn't have a strobe function. Check out Candlepowerforums.com
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #405
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What low end light are you using? Links?
Zebralight H51w

4Sevens Quark AA^2

The ZL is my favorite since the 90-angle+clip gives you tons of hands-free use options over a traditional light (clip to your shirt collar, pocket, belt; tail-stand and point; lie down and bounce off of ceiling/wall w/infinite angle adjustment), not to mention that it also best protects the lens when clipped in my pants pocket.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: