Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #406
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
With all this talk about lumens - is anyone into low-end lumens (as in moonlight 0.2, or low lows of <5)?

I won't buy another flashlight with a low mode over 5 lumens. As a camper, my eyes are usually in night vision mode and so I find 90% of my flashlight usage equally split between the 0.2 (moonlight), 2, 4 and 7 lumen modes. At night, I'll use something in the 20s for hiking in rougher terrain, and 80-200 if bicycling at speed, but otherwise I'll tend to use the lowest setting for a given task.

Advantages of a good low-end:
- Preserves your night vision
- Allows you to remain stealth, or not be less annoying to others
- Crazy long runtimes with moonlight running continuous 2 weeks per AA
- You can pull "dead" batteries from other flashlights and use them for hours or days

Every manufacturer seems to chase the high lumens race, but it's surprising how few offer good low ends .
.2 on my Quark 123..

Not sure how little you are looking to spend.. but these aren't very expensive if you consider the build quality and durability.. This one goes with me everywhere and gets very little love.. haven't had any issues with it... can't say that about a $30 light I got right around the same time... that died recently.. the Quark it fine..

And yes... I do quite like the low light function..

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1626
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #407
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
That looks pretty cool...

I still don't understand why 4Sevens doesn't have a headlamp... I'd buy one in a second...

I've had a series of OK headlamps that never seem to hold up to the abuse... Black Diamond, a decend quality Brookstone lamp and various others have all held up OK.. but a metal body would be the best to hold up over time...

Anyone seen any other really good headlamps??? <$75
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #408
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
I still don't understand why 4Sevens doesn't have a headlamp... I'd buy one in a second...

I've had a series of OK headlamps that never seem to hold up to the abuse... Black Diamond, a decend quality Brookstone lamp and various others have all held up OK.. but a metal body would be the best to hold up over time...

I used to be a headlamp die-hard and have box of Black Diamonds & Petzls, but I'm done with them. They're fragile, bulky, burn batts like crazy, don't offer super low modes, and (my pet peeve) always seem to start off in the highest blinding modes forcing you click through to get to the low mode. I highly recommend the Zebralight, it is billed as a "headlamp" after all, but I never bother with the bulk of the headband as the 90-angle+clip gives me enough hands-free options for camping.

FWIW, here's a hands-free "sling" I use for my Quark while camping. It's more comfortable than constantly wearing a headband, and it can be flipped up to the top of your shoulder, if the sling is tightened up with a good knot.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #409
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post
Is there a 2AA LED with a strobe function?
My $50-ish Fenix has that, and 4 light levels.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #410
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Exactly my point, 14500 ain't AA

You can't argue that you love AA flashlights, giving a high output number to support your claim, but finally admit that you use Li-ion in the said flashlight...it's just not fair.

Not every AA flashlights accept 3.7v Li-ion.
Jeebus christ francis lighten up. Reread what I posted. Li Ion rechargeable. Not alkys. The form factor is AA. Ever since I recommended this light I have commented that I am using li ion. Not everyone understands what a 14500 battery is. If you use a regular AA battery in any of these cool lights you will decrease the output by half.

The reason that I LOVE aa form flashlights is that you can run them on regular AA batteries and also on NiMH, Alkys etc. Most any new flashlight out there that isn't a cheapo walmart light can run li ion cells. You can get a couple cells for $10 and a charger for $15. No more buying batteries.

all the major manufacturers of lights rate their output based on using the 3.7v cells. That's the number that sells.

I'm not trying to dupe anyone here. But if you're going to drop $50 on a sweet flashlight, spend another $25 on the right batteries to take full advantage of it. Most of the manufacturers will also spec the output with normal cells, but enthusiasts will only be using those cells when their li ion cells are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I love aa flashlights I have a bunch. The ability to run lithium ion batteries they out perform the cr123 batteries and are rechargeable. What's not to like?

My xeno aa xml puts out 400 ish lumens and was $30. No strobe it's my favorite light

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #411
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
That seems like a fair statement to me...and I agree... saying that you are getting 400+lm out of an AA is a little misleading... It's kind of like saying that your bone-stock BMW 3 series makes 440hp while failing to mention that its an M3 GTS.

The power output of those 14500's is even higher than CR123s.... however... and I think this may be what Sailah was getting at... the 14500 flashlights will accept AAs too...which is about as universal a battery size as there is...and that is good for in-the-middle-of-nowhere availability... You might not get nearly as much light out of an AA but you will have light..
Again, I'm not trying to be misleading. I am getting 400 (490 if you believe the specs) lumens out of a AA form flashlight. Yes it is using Li Ion cells (which cost about $5 each btw) but again, I figured if people were dropping $50 on a sweet quark or something they would also be spending on batteries. CR123 are expensive buying at the drug store on a trip. It is WAY cheaper to just invest in a couple batteries and a charger, that way you don't hav to buy batteries again.

Your M3 comparison isn't valid. Any of the major manufacturers spec the lumen output using the 3.7 li ion cells. They are designed to use them, so that's what they assume most folks will be using.

But if you want to use regular energizers in any of these lights, fully prepare for half the rated output.

The reason I recommend the AA format is that can use cheapo batteries available at any gas station and when you want to use full power and invest the $25 ina charger cell combo its easy.

BTW 14500 is the metric in mm size of a AA cell. 14mm diameter, 50mm long and 0 means cylinder.

14500 batteries

http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500-category.html

charger

http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf-139-.html

Nessmuk
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #412
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
But if you want to use regular energizers in any of these lights, fully prepare for half the rated output.

The reason I recommend the AA format is that can use cheapo batteries available at any gas station and when you want to use full power and invest the $25 ina charger cell combo its easy.

BTW 14500 is the metric in mm size of a AA cell. 14mm diameter, 50mm long and 0 means cylinder.

14500 batteries

charger

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #413
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Again, I'm not trying to be misleading. I am getting 400 (490 if you believe the specs) lumens out of a AA form flashlight. Yes it is using Li Ion cells (which cost about $5 each btw) but again, I figured if people were dropping $50 on a sweet quark or something they would also be spending on batteries. CR123 are expensive buying at the drug store on a trip. It is WAY cheaper to just invest in a couple batteries and a charger, that way you don't hav to buy batteries again.

Your M3 comparison isn't valid. Any of the major manufacturers spec the lumen output using the 3.7 li ion cells. They are designed to use them, so that's what they assume most folks will be using.

14500 batteries

charger

See... I've learned something new today....

I didn't realize that the AA ratings of most lights were based on the 3.7v from 14500... and that the 14500 was dimensional nomenclature...

Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #414
sailah
Lampin' it

Okay one more tip. You want protected cells. They sell two versions. They have a circuit in them that prevents over discharge. Many but not all lights also have this circuit, so it can be redundant.

If you want to get to the next level in lights, you want 18650 cells. These have no alky equivalent. They are just beefy. Also 3.7 v but much more capacity.

Anyways I didn't mean to be a prick earlier. Just thought I was clear.

If you look at jetbeam, they spec their lights with outputs for both types of cells and the runtime s for each. Gives a good idea for what you can expect.

I also really like a moonlight mode on lights. My jetbeam lets you adjust the levels for 3 settings and I set the low to super low.

That charger I posted is a great unit for the money. It will charge almost any li ion cell.

I also have a turnigy hobby charger which will charge any chemistry including my shorai motorcycle battery, regular car batteries, nicad etc. they are cheap $30 and super handy. I use strong mini magnets to attach the alligator clips to the cells or you can whip up a little tray.

Also while I'm on my soapbox, many nice lights can be sourced with various tints to the leds. I like neutral or warm. Better color rendition outside more like an incandescent. I don't really like the cool blue. Just my preference but easy on the eyes.

If you want a deal, join candlepowerforums. They unlock a forum when you join that gives even bigger discount codes at most of the stores. 15% or so

Nessmuk
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #415
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
The Xeno e03 w/ Li-ion is a good light - I like that it cycles through the different light levels with a quick touch of the tail clickie, too.

When is the Zebra Light 502 coming out? 4th quarter is here already, dambit!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #416
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
That looks pretty cool...

Princeton Tec EOS is small and waterproof, built to last

http://princetontec.com/index.php?q=eos
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #417
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,364
For headlights, I like this one from Cabella's. Cheap and light and uses 2016 batteries that last a long time.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._517003_001_01

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #418
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
For headlights, I like this one from Cabella's. Cheap and light and uses 2016 batteries that last a long time.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._517003_001_01
The only thing I hate about headlights is when you look at SOMEONE you blind them. Otherwise they are handy for working on stuff.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #419
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The only thing I hate about headlights is when you look at SOMEONE you blind them. Otherwise they are handy for working on stuff.
plus it makes staring at girls boobs even more obvious than it already is... every great technology has its drawbacks...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #420
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:
plus it makes staring at girls boobs even more obvious than it already is... every great technology has its drawbacks...
Wondered why I get slapped at night round the campfire....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: