Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #571
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Sounds an awful lot like the ones I bought maybe six months ago from Costco. They are okay lights as long as you don't drop them. Like 3" onto your wood topped workbench. Very delicate little buggers. Of course 3 lights for less then $20 I shouldn't have expected much either.
+2 on the dropping on many of the smaller LED lights......mine all seem to break the battery holder. This was true on Craftsmen 6 AAA cell light as well warranty two of those for broken battery holders.
I have had a least 6 of the smaller Costco LED lights. In the process of cutting two of the small lights down and converting them to aux LED driving lights.

Costco has a new LED light 2 pack for $25, 3 C size batteries, 500 lumens.

showkey screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:30 AM
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #572
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I've got 6 of these. Stashed around. Including a backpack I take everywhere, the boat and the bike. They all work so far. Been 7 or 8 months so far.

Come to think of it, I still have all 6. Sure, I don't lose the $7 flashlight....but ask me where the Surefires are.
Same thing with me and pocket knives. Lose the $200.00 knifes but can't lose the $40.00 dollar knife.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #573
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,907
Has anyone seen or used this Fenix bicycle light? it uses four CR123 batteries... sweet jeebus.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/fenix-bt...eries-dim.html

Though what I really want is a CR123 blinky red LED for the back of the bike.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #574
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Has anyone seen or used this Fenix bicycle light? it uses four CR123 batteries... sweet jeebus.

It will also run on 2 18650 batteries.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #575
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

NiteRider Solas - rechargable
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #576
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
I just picked this one up about a week ago. I bought it where I buy Rigid Industries off road lighting that we install. Very good stuff. I love it so far rechargeable 2400Mah Li-ion batt not sure how long it last between charges but I'm expecting it to do well. 5 modes Low,Mediium,High,Flasher and SOS Strobe in Morse Code. Like all of thier stuff it is very well made.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #577
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...news&tag=title

Just saw an article about this flashlight. Up to 1600 lumens and seems to be solidly built. Pricing is kind of steep though at $168, but depending on someones need it could be worth the purchase price.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #578
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,907
Powerful, but it has only a wide throw, no focused beam. Maybe they could add a polished tube and lens to address that.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #579
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
Re: I need a new Flashlight....

I've got a couple of Fenix lights. They're overpriced for what they are.

If I had to have name brand I'd rock a Surefire 6p with a bored out housing. But I don't because they're overpriced too IMO.

Instead I run a Solarforce light from Lighthound.com that's a 6p clone except its already bored out for the big rechargeable batteries. I have a couple of them actually and one is mounted on a 12 guage pump that I use to hunt predators. I haven't put 1000's of rounds down range with it but so far so good after 60 or so rounds (15 of those were 3 1/2" magnum 00 buckshot). The other I carry at work and, now that I'm satisfied with their durability, I'm ordering a third and the rechargeable battery setup.

The Fenix went bottoms up after 2 rounds of 3" buckshot and the switch started acting up. A Fenix will also only take 1 or 2 drops down concrete stairs before it starts having switch issues.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #580
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
The Fenix went bottoms up after 2 rounds of 3" buckshot and the switch started acting up. A Fenix will also only take 1 or 2 drops down concrete stairs before it starts having switch issues.
Which one? Mine's been dropped/thrown/dunked/abused and still works well.
It's a good EDC light but I wouldn't trust it as a weaponlight.
My only complaint with it is I'm able to lock it up requiring batteries to be removed and waiting for 5-10 minutes to reset it.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #581
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300

Sent from my HTC using magic.[/QUOTE]
I find the oppisite from your claims. I have at least four Surefires, and four Fenix lights. All the Femixs have been flawless for over thwo years of ABUSE and the Surefires are all (svae for ONE) in pieces due to modules not lasting for shit or dropping them ONCE and the module or a switch going bad. Plus, for what a LED module costs for s Surefire, I can get another entire Fenix.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #582
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
LD01 and LD2 IIRC. The 2 AA light gave it up after be dropped from the second run a couple times and the 1 AA light got to be my shotgun test dummy. Both still throw light but always want to revert to strobe after I turn them off. I carried my 2 AA Fenix for about 2 years before it started giving issues and not remembering settings. A friend's only lasted him about 9 months before doing the same.

The Surefire clones with a Cree LED in them for $30 have been miles better. Like I said, Surefire is expensive for what they are too. My shotgun light does have a simple on/off tail cap switch.

This guy has been on my belt for the last 6 or 7 mos. I can buy 2 for the price of a Fenix and 3 (4 if you count machine work to bore out the surefire) for the price of the Surefire model the body is a pattern off of.

Sent from my HTC using magic.

veriest1 screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 02:56 PM
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #583
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Got a Fenix LD10 a few months ago after a reccomendation here. Use it daily. Love it.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #584
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
I'm an EDC/runtime enthusiast and kinda collect sub-lumen AA/14500 lights. With CRAAs and 14500s available for use in broad voltage (0.9-4.2v) lights, you lose nothing to the CR123 lights and can use all the AA chemistries, and also AAAs and 9Vs in a real pinch.

Foursevens Quarks are my favorites.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #585
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I'm an EDC/runtime enthusiast and kinda collect sub-lumen AA/14500 lights. With CRAAs and 14500s available for use in broad voltage (0.9-4.2v) lights, you lose nothing to the CR123 lights and can use all the AA chemistries, and also AAAs and 9Vs in a real pinch.

Foursevens Quarks are my favorites.

English translation?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: