ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #46
GTomic
Sanguine
 
GTomic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Within range.
Oddometer: 13,783


Brinkmann
$15
3 watt LED
2 D cell
Tight uniform beam
BRIGHT

Good enough to use, cheap enough to lose.



.
GTomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #47
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Who has a kick ass flash light???...


I've had one of these in my riding gear / tank bag for years.
Dirt cheap, works great.

"Gerber RX350 Xenon Flashlight The RX350 Xenon Flashlight is a blindingly bright tactical flashlight with a high output Xenon lamp, anodized aircraft aluminum body, rear switch actuation, and custom faceted spot to flood reflector with an effective distance of 225 feet. Uses a single CR123 battery; weighs 2.9 ounces. Key Features: Rear switch Aircraft anodized aluminum Adjustable Beam Best in class Xenon lamp Technical Specifications: Light Source Type: Xenon lamp"

Sure, it's not LED, nor is it adjustable for brightness, but I rate it "Kick ass".

Handy, small, light, bulletproof, puts out a lot of light.
What else do you need from a flashlight?

Thanks
CA Stu
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #48
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Is everything worth a crap made out of metal? I have to carry a pelican for work since we aren't allowed to use conductive ones.
Nope.

Surefire makes a fiberplastic case for one of their handlights. G6 maybe?

Plenty of Pelican lights (rated for explosive atmospheres, great firefighter light) are plastic and BOMBER.
__________________
Quote:
Patrick:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #49
Barike
Spindly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Jones, OK
Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman
Nope.

Surefire makes a fiberplastic case for one of their handlights. G6 maybe?

Plenty of Pelican lights (rated for explosive atmospheres, great firefighter light) are plastic and BOMBER.
Surefire G2 I think is the one your thinking of.
Barike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #50
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 25,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman
Surefire makes a fiberplastic case for one of their handlights. G6 maybe?
G2


You'd want an LED drop-in though.

edit: G2 LED



'nother edit:
if'n it has got to be plastic
Malkoff 235lumen LED drop-in for G2
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m...efire-p-7.html
__________________
.
.

"Discourage self-help, and loyal subjects become the slaves of ruffians." - A. V. Dicey
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

KingRat screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 01:15 PM
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #51
A-Bone OP
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,500
Welp...

I just ordered one of these from Quark... The size is tiny, which is great for keeping attached to a keychain.. The one I have now on a keychain is a $5 hardware store special that puts out just enough light to find keys in the dark... but nowhere near the amount of light this Quark produces... 206 lumens!! and it has multi brightness settings...

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1600

After doing a little poking around on some of the flashlight forums it looked like these guys have a nice little keychain light with a top-of-the-line / best-currently-produced 'emitter' (and I thought ADV was dorky )...

It's a little more than 3 inches long still puts out more light than my 3C Maglite... Beating someone senseless with it will take a bit more doing though.... Only downside is that it takes the 123 battery which isn't really a conviencience store item...

I would still like to have an upgrade to my incandescent Maglite... That one company from down south makes them, but doesn't have them in stock...and they aren't that cheap.... maybe $65 if I recall correctly.. but that is still cheaper than many of the other options in that size and brightness....

I'll keep looking for a kit to set up a 'full size' light to keep in the car...

A-Bone screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 01:11 PM
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #52
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,676
Inova T4

Check out the Inova T4. Really bright high quality rechargeable, comes with 12VDC and 120VAC charger, and holster for about 120.00.

http://www.inovalight.com/t.html
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #53
A-Bone OP
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44
I got put off on the Lithium 123- flashlights by the stories of uncontrolled venting and overheating on Candlepower Forum. AA-powered flashlights were just so much more convenient for use at work,where the batteries were free (and 123s were not stocked).
Maglites: I still keep a 6-cell one next to the bed as an emergency light,and I converted it to LED. At work, I could never understand the Tradesmen who continued to lug those heavy old Maglites around on the job-my little 2-AA Fenix L2T was many times brighter.
What kit did you use to convert it??
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #54
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,676
Hybrid light

I also like these. I bought a pair at Costco, and they work really well, though not as bright as the Inova. Really long lasting, rubber armored plastic, and waterproof. I only paid about $30.00 for a 2-pack, but the website says $25.00. It is worth that easy.

http://www.hybridlite.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #55
A-Bone OP
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
That PD30 looks like a killer light for the money!
The specs are pretty tough to beat from what I've seen poking around the innertubes...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #56
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
Oddometer: 11,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Welp...

I just ordered one of these from Quark... The size is tiny, which is great for keeping attached to a keychain.. The one I have now on a keychain is a $5 hardware store special that puts out just enough light to find keys in the dark... but nowhere near the amount of light this Quark produces... 206 lumens!! and it has multi brightness settings...

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1600

After doing a little poking around on some of the flashlight forums it looked like these guys have a nice little keychain light with a top-of-the-line / best-currently-produced 'emitter' (and I thought ADV was dorky )...

It's a little more than 3 inches long still puts out more light than my 3C Maglite... Beating someone senseless with it will take a bit more doing though.... Only downside is that it takes the 123 battery which isn't really a conviencience store item...

I would still like to have an upgrade to my incandescent Maglite... That one company from down south makes them, but doesn't have them in stock...and they aren't that cheap.... maybe $65 if I recall correctly.. but that is still cheaper than many of the other options in that size and brightness....

I'll keep looking for a kit to set up a 'full size' light to keep in the car...
The upgrade kits seem to cost about the same as buying a new LED maglite, at least in the 3 or 4 cell range. Amazon has the 3 or 4 "D" cell 3 watt LED Maglites for $26-$28.
http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-ST3D01...bxgy_hi_text_c
and
http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-ST4D01...ref=pd_cp_hi_1
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #57
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
Oddometer: 11,389


What I use at work, without the over the head strap. Takes 4 AA batteries, I use lithium batteries. The center spot and the 4 workspace lights are on different switches and both have two power levels, as well a a flash mode. It also has battery charge indicator light. Submersible to 1 meter.

http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/product...a61ac8bd94ed62
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #58
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
I sense some dislike over the maglites. Not quite sure why. Bullet proof, upgradeable xenon bulb, doubles as, um, a hammer and is really unable to be lost.

I have three. One mounted in my truck, two in the house. One is an LED, one Xenon and one normal. They work really well and are made in the good ol US of Kalifornia.

Costco still sells the 3 cell version with matching small light. The small light goes in my tool pack and runs on two double AA.

They are a great company which makes a great flash light. Are they the flashiest (pardon the pun)? Nope. But they are rock solid and very useful for not much moola and (again), made in the states.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #59
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
I checked, the 3,4,5 and 6 d cells mods were sold out. Grrrrrrr.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #60
jeep44
junk collector
 
jeep44's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Canton,Michigan
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
I sense some dislike over the maglites. Not quite sure why. Bullet proof, upgradeable xenon bulb, doubles as, um, a hammer and is really unable to be lost.

I have three. One mounted in my truck, two in the house. One is an LED, one Xenon and one normal. They work really well and are made in the good ol US of Kalifornia.

Costco still sells the 3 cell version with matching small light. The small light goes in my tool pack and runs on two double AA.

They are a great company which makes a great flash light. Are they the flashiest (pardon the pun)? Nope. But they are rock solid and very useful for not much moola and (again), made in the states.


What I don't like about the Maglites is the tendency for the batteries to swell and leak,especially if left in a cold car. This isn't really the fault of the flashlight,but irritating anyway. I just managed to save an LED flashlight that uses 2 C batteries that I keep in my truck-the batteries swelled up in that one,and I had to punch them out -now I keep it in the truck with the batteries seperate. I have not seen AA batteries do this,however.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014