Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #76
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,641
Cool2

~$15 one AA battery
linky not a super bright, but convenient enuff...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #77
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
another vote for the Nitecore from 4sevens.com

I tried to make myself buy a surefire for years- but always just choked on the price. Found the Nitecore stuff and have never looked back- HUGE power from a single rechargeable AA battery. Adjustable brightness, long life, compact size. What's not to like?

Problem I always had with Maglights was that they're so heavy that if you drop it, the weight kills the bulb. Their LED versions may be better, but why tote around a monster like that when a single AA in a modern LED like the Nitecore can turn night into day?

I use the Pelican stuff for night diving- and they hold up pretty well and throw a decent amount of light if you need an ABS body, rather than metal. The power of the Nitecore stuff is not be believed though- you won't be disappointed.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #78
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,366
So for a 'full size' flashlight, I broke down and ordered an Olight M30 Triton...

http://www.olightworld.com/product_show.asp?id=153

Ordered from Battery Junction:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

700 Lumens max out-put ... sturdy design...

I'll let you guys know what 700 lumens is like when it gets here.... I'm thinking it is going to be on the bright side... but there are different settings (120 lumens and 8 lumens)...

The size is not nearly as large as a 3C Maglite... but I guess not too many manufacturers are making billyclub size flashlights anymore...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #79
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat

only the ones with locking blades

I think the line here is full-auto machine guns...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #80
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44
Someone on Candlepower forum was selling an LED setup for the six-cell maglites-It's been several years now,so I can't remember who I got it from-It works very well,though-bright as hell!
Ended up getting a drop in to put in the Maglite... just to have a spare flashlight to put in MrsBone's vehicle...

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

Maybe not as fancy as the Malkoff Devices one... but it is in stock....
Old 12-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #81
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Ended up getting a drop in to put in the Maglite... just to have a spare flashlight to put in MrsBone's vehicle...

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

Maybe not as fancy as the Malkoff Devices one... but it is in stock....
Yes,this is where I got the LED for my 6-cell . I'd forgotten until I saw your link. It makes that Maglite into a badass, bright flashlight/club.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #82
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
A number of the flashlights discussed in this thread just went on sale at Optics Planet www.opticsplanet.net
They're listed in the clearance section, including a number of the Streamlight lights.

And no, I don't have anything to do with them other than buying a pair of boots from 'em a few months back.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #83
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Are any LED flashlights bright enough to be used for tunnel exploring? I found some old railroad tunnels near our place at lake cumberland that we went exploring and the couple of little flashlights we had were just crap. I don't want to carry around a 10 million candle power car battery sized thing, but I would also like to be able to see more than ten feet in front of me.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=57#

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #84
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I got one of these - a Fenix TK11 - for Christmas. I am loving it! It is replacing my Surefire Z2; it is brighter on the "low" setting, and MUCH brighter on the high setting. Combined with the LED durability and the ability to use a rechargeable battery, and my Surefire has become my backup light, and my large Maglight is now my back-up-back-up light.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #85
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,231
A few of mine. The lights I seem to carry most are my SureFire e2e w/ 25lumen lamp and/or a Novatac EDC120 which isnt pictured.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #86
a$$hole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
I just preordered a QUARK 123-2 R5 from 4sevens. Its supposed to be pretty nice from what Ive read.
a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #87
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,032
Streamlight Tasklight 2 - L: Two brightness settings (120 lumens at its brightest), about 6" in length, robust enough to use on a drilling rig. Cons include its CR123A battery requirement (relatively cheap in bulk through Streamlight, though), and a switch that's too easy to accidentally turn on when carried in a pant leg pocket. Mine cost $67.00 IIRC.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #88
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Streamlight Stinger

I had a Streamlight Stinger when I was working as a mechanic and loved it. Light weight, super bright, awesome range (I could light up the side of a house at one city block away). It was rechareable with two battery packs that were interchangeable and a charger that hung on the wall or could be mounted in your vehicle, (cords included) that could charge both batterys at the same time, one in the light and the other out. The only downside was a relativly short battery life (about 1 hr per charge). The only reason I don't have it now was I returned it to the Cornwell dealer I bought it from for a minor warranty issue (charger, that was going to be covered) and he went out of buisness. IIRC I spent about $105 on it and you can get them from pretty much any tool truck. I want a new one, just can't justify the money right now.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #89
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
WTF... it seems like many of the 'high end' lights work off of these 123's... Do you have any 123's in your junk drawer??? Yeah... neither do I.....

but.... the LED's draw a lot less power than the incandescents...
I was set to buy a Surefire and a bulk box of batteries.

I wanted to get away from LEDs.

A cop gave me a Surefire Stinger and 12v charger, I got a 3cell battery at the uniform shop, and I charge it with my bench power.

After reading through here, I will look into AA LED lights.

One thing I really like is a push button, it seemed most of my lights had twits heads.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton

frewhl screwed with this post 01-05-2010 at 10:44 PM
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #90
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewhl
One thing I really like is a push button, ti seemed most of my lights had twits heads.
That's another feature of the Tasklight 2-L I like-- one-handed operation.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: