Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #91
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,770
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
That's another feature of the Tasklight 2-L I like-- one-handed operation.

They were giving these away in December...
not bad for a jacket pocket or tankbag but prolly not what the OP was lookin' for.
linky
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #92
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
another vote for the Nitecore from 4sevens.com

Which model did you get?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #93
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger

They were giving these away in December...
not bad for a jacket pocket or tankbag but prolly not what the OP was lookin' for.
linky
I bought one that resembled those with the multiple LED's, but it was bigger I think, about the size of three film cans end to end; its beam was bright but blue in color, and almost useless.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #94
Zundfolge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
+1 on the Streamlight Stinger. I also worked as a mechanic and I thought my coworkers were insane for spending $140 on a flashlight. After borrowing one a few times, I quickly bought my own. Then a 2nd one for home. Now I am considering a 3rd one to keep in my vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratski
I had a Streamlight Stinger when I was working as a mechanic and loved it. Light weight, super bright, awesome range (I could light up the side of a house at one city block away). It was rechareable with two battery packs that were interchangeable and a charger that hung on the wall or could be mounted in your vehicle, (cords included) that could charge both batterys at the same time, one in the light and the other out. The only downside was a relativly short battery life (about 1 hr per charge). The only reason I don't have it now was I returned it to the Cornwell dealer I bought it from for a minor warranty issue (charger, that was going to be covered) and he went out of buisness. IIRC I spent about $105 on it and you can get them from pretty much any tool truck. I want a new one, just can't justify the money right now.
Zundfolge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #95
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelength
+1 on the Streamlight Stinger. I also worked as a mechanic and I thought my coworkers were insane for spending $140 on a flashlight. After borrowing one a few times, I quickly bought my own. Then a 2nd one for home. Now I am considering a 3rd one to keep in my vehicle.

I've used Stingers at work (stagehand) for about 10 years now. I bought that headlight I linked for the last install I did, because we spend a lot of time working in the dark and needed both hands free. The most frequent comment from my co-workers was "get that fucking light out of my eyes, you're blinding me."

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #96
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,443
OK... thanks for all your input peeps!!!

So I ended up getting several different flashlights over the holidays... I had several different needs so here is what I got...

Originally I posted that I wanted to replace my Maglite with something more powerful due to a recent realization at the scene of an accident that my current Maglite was severely underpowered for the safety that that situation required.

After reading reviews on many different lights on several sites it appeared that there were a wide range of options from $25 mass-merchant Maglites to $500 true commercial-grade rechargeables.

My budget was about $200... I ended up getting several lights and exceeded my budget by about $50

Here is the big boy; the replacement for my 10 year old Maglite:

Olight M30 / 700 Lumens
$139 from Battery Junction

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

I didn't quite know what to expect from this light except I expected it to be bigger...It is actually pretty small... the diameter of the part that you hold is about the width of a 16oz soda cap... so it is light in weight; you couldn't really clobber anyone with it... but both ends have pretty sharp edges that would hurt if you pulled a Norman Bates on an attacker...

It is powered by three CR123 batteries... This is my first experience with this type of battery. They again, are smaller than I expected. They are fairly cheap to buy online, but I've been making a mental note of how much they cost at places like Home Depot and they are not cheap.. maybe a couple of bucks each... but none of the new higher-end flashlights seem to operate on AA, C or D batteries, so the CR123 is the next most-available battery....

It also comes with this handy-dandy gift/storage case with attachements like a light diffuser, an additional battery extention and a belt strap, so that is kind of cool..

OK.. how bright is it?: This fucker is bright... like painfully bright... I am very impressed with the amount of light produced and the fact that it has three brightness levels and a strobe function (you know...for disco-tech fun for 'wild and crazy guys'). Keep in mind this is my first modern 'big' flashlight so I really don't know what to compare it to other than every other flashlight I have ever had... Compared to those, this fucker will burn your eyeballs out... I have no doubt I will keep this in my car for safety purposes on the long highway commute I do everyday..

I'll post up on the other lights over the next couple of days...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #97
tkuhe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Surprised noone mentioned Clearwater or if they did sorry I missed it. This one got a hell of a write up on webbikeworld.com.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/flashlig...ed-flashlight/
tkuhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #98
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,239
That Olight is a very nice light. Most of my lights are CR123A powered. The advantages are that you get a lot of power out of a small lightweight battery. They are lighter than AAs. This makes them popular with backpackers who are very weight concious. They can operate in very cold and hot conditions better than alkalines. And they have a long shelf life, something like holding 90% of their charge over 10 years. This makes them great for emergency flashlights. The batteries cost a little more. I've gotten a 50 pack of BatteryStation 123A's for a little over 50 bucks. Made in the USA. Don't buy cheap Chinese made batteries like the ones on eBay. I've seen enough accounts of those venting and causings flashlights to turn into grenades.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #99
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone

Wow...matching pen?

DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #100
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Wow...matching pen?

Ahhh...the Joe Pesci signature model.... killer design...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #101
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,922
Someone mentioned rechargeable 123's earlier in the thread. Anyone have any FHE with them. I've got two lights that use them and so rarely that buying in bulk doesn't make sense. I used to get them for free from work but, upon my recommendation, we stopped buying them to provide to the crew.

If the rechargeable batteries work well, I'd like to get some.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #102
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Someone mentioned rechargeable 123's earlier in the thread. Anyone have any FHE with them. I've got two lights that use them and so rarely that buying in bulk doesn't make sense. I used to get them for free from work but, upon my recommendation, we stopped buying them to provide to the crew.

If the rechargeable batteries work well, I'd like to get some.
Most rechargeable 123's are 3.7volts. So you have to make sure the light can handle the increased voltage. With incandescent bulbs you may have to put in a differnent one rated for that voltage. And you have to find out what your LED light can operate at.
There are 3.0v rechargables but the acutual output just doesnt seem to be up to the level of regular CR123A lithiums.
If you do use rechargable cells you should get protected cells. They prevent over discharging. Unproteced cells have the risk of venting and catching fire. Use a quality charger.

btw What lights do you have?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #103
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ahhh...the Joe Pesci signature model.... killer design...
Hey, so how do the controls work w/ the olight? How do you switch btwn low/med/high mode? Do you cycle the intensity w/ the button on the bottom?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #104
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Hey, so how do the controls work w/ the olight? How do you switch btwn low/med/high mode? Do you cycle the intensity w/ the button on the bottom?
Nope.. There is a button on the side that controls the intensities... so.. you turn the light on with the main button on the bottom...then press the button on the side to go through the cycles...

If the light is off and you press the button on the side and hold it down the light will give you the high-intensity strobe as long as the button is depressed...

It works pretty good once you get used to it..
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #105
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope.. There is a button on the side that controls the intensities... so.. you turn the light on with the main button on the bottom...then press the button on the side to go through the cycles...

If the light is off and you press the button on the side and hold it down the light will give you the high-intensity strobe as long as the button is depressed...

It works pretty good once you get used to it..
It's *nice* to have a separate control for intensity...so you don't have to cycle from low through the eye-burning high setting to turn it off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: