User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Alaska 2014 - Trek to the Arctic Ocean

My husband has been active on Adventure Rider for a long time & with our upcoming trip, I decided it was time for me to join! After months of planning, we are nearly ready to head out on our Alaskan Adventure! Just 3 weeks until we take off! We'll travel 9,200 miles in 23 days on our Buell Motorcycles. We've started a blog to document our journey. So far we've documented part of the planning phase & we'll continue to update it as we travel. We'll post our travel plans, budget, gear, & all of our adventures! Expect tons of photos, videos with the new Garmin Virb & hopefully some fabulous stories! www.buellvicariously.com
HJHickey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Congratulations

Well done in joining your husband. I've been encouraging my wife to come with me with limited success. We had a trip planned together this June, but ill health intervened. Perhaps next year. Enjoy the trip. I will show your RR to my wife as encouragement.
Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Mark -

Thanks! Best of luck to you & your wife, I hope you are able to take a great ride together soon!

We've traveled about 60,000 miles together on the bikes & it's been fantastic! We've ridden through the south west, Yellowstone, Minnesota, KY etc. But this will be twice as long as our longest ride to date. We started by doing rides that just lasted a couple of days & most of those came from the Readers Digest book Most Scenic Drives in America then worked our way up to longer rides. This will be the first time we have camped, which adds a whole new element to the travel & comfort level!

Heather
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Planned Route

Below is our current plan. We have some pretty long days ahead, but it should be a fabulous trip!

Day Start Destination Miles Hours
Day 1 Home Casper, WY 756 11.75
Day 2 Casper, WY Glacier Nat. Park 675 10.5
Day 3 Glacier Nat. Park Kicking Horse Camp YOHO 480 9.5
Day 4 Kicking Horse Prince George, BC 388 8
Day 5 Prince George, BC Hyder, AK 437 8.5
Day 6 Hyder, AK 0 0
Day 7 Hyder, AK Boya Lake PP 340 8
Day 8 Boya Lake PP Pine Lake Campground 428 9.25
Day 9 Pine Lake Camp Fairbanks, AK 499 10
Day 10 Fairbanks, AK Coldfoot, AK 254 7
Day 11 Coldfoot, AK Deadhorse, AK 240 9
Day 12 Deadhorse, AK Coldfoot, AK 240 9
Day 13 Coldfoot, AK Fairbanks, AK 254 7
Day 14 Fairbanks, AK Denali - Cantwell 121 3.5
Day 15 Cantwell, AK Chistochina, AK 226 5.5
Day 16 Chistochina, AK Chicken AK 180 4
Day 17 Chicken, AK Dawson, YT 108 5
Day 18 Dawson, YT Whitehorse, YT 331 8
Day 19 Whitehorse, YT Laird Hot Springs 402 9
Day 20 Laird Hot Springs Dawson Creek, BC 471 9.5
Day 21 Dawson Creek, BC Banff, BC 778 12
Day 22 Banff, BC Billings, MT 613 10.25
Day 23 Billings, MT Home 1007 15
Totals 9228 189.25
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Budgeting for a 23 Day Ride

This week I have discovered a few relatively large line items that I have left off the budget. I bought a few more misc. things including some wool socks, base layers, a fleece jacket & some additional Jetboil fuel. I also bought Canadian National Park passes for us. They were $67 each but after researching National Park fees, it will save us money & time when we arrive at the parks. We already have a National Park pass for the USA. We'll have to pay for each of the Provincial Parks & State Parks, but those are less expensive & should fall into my Misc. line item. I also neglected to add the house/critter-sitters to the sheet.

I've been working on our reservations & I think our camping expenses are going to be a bit less than budgeted since there are 4 of us camping.

Fuel, Food & Lodging are the bulk of the expenses along with gear. At least the gear is an investment & we can use it for all future adventures.

I hope I am not forgetting any other significant expenses. I also hope to come in under budget for lodging, food & tours.

http://buellvicariously.com/2014/06/06/the-budget/
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
In 2008 my girlfriend (now wife) and I did 9400 miles in 26 days from California to Alaska and back. What I thought was funny was how much of a celebrity she was when we stopped places. Everyone was so impressed she was a passenger all those miles. I would joke that I did all the work
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Girls Aren't So Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
In 2008 my girlfriend (now wife) and I did 9400 miles in 26 days from California to Alaska and back. What I thought was funny was how much of a celebrity she was when we stopped places. Everyone was so impressed she was a passenger all those miles. I would joke that I did all the work
Congrats to you & your wife for riding 9400 miles!

It's funny when Shawn & I show up someplace after a long ride (or at the track) & people are impressed that "I" am riding. They never look at Shawn & say that they are surprised he made it (but imply that they expected it from me)! LOL!

I've had people take pictures of me with my bike in different places, I've shown up in a couple of magazines, & even though Shawn is always there, he gets left out. So sad! You guys deserve some credit too!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
jdnevada
Nevada Fan

Oddometer: 41
Second Fiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJHickey View Post
Congrats to you & your wife for riding 9400 miles!

It's funny when Shawn & I show up someplace after a long ride (or at the track) & people are impressed that "I" am riding. They never look at Shawn & say that they are surprised he made it (but imply that they expected it from me)! LOL!

I've had people take pictures of me with my bike in different places, I've shown up in a couple of magazines, & even though Shawn is always there, he gets left out. So sad! You guys deserve some credit too!
The same thing happens with my wife and I, wherever we go, I become invisible. Might have something to do with the fact she is much better looking than me as well.
jdnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 321
Im In

This is going to be a great trip!
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
urzat
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Looks sweet !
urzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

The best part will be all the time I get to spend with my dad and hubby!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,568
Subscribed!

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

:)

Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Does anyone know if Canada still requires the Nonresident Interprovincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
HJHickey OP
Adventurer

Packing List

Today I updated our blog with a list of all the things we are currently planning to take with us to Alaska. The list has been a work in progress for about a year, but I think we are pretty close to the final list. Since we'll be riding out of the Midwest in July, we'll need to be prepared for a hot & cold weather. We'll be on the road for 23 days & we have scoped out campsites that offer laundry facilities every few days so we don't have to bring too many clothes. If any expert travelers notice something missing, let me know! http://buellvicariously.com/2014/06/...ing-list-v100/