User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
BikerAl OP
On Kilter

Oddometer: 520
She Rides Canada

Tomorrow I leave on a journey. A 9500 mile solo motorcycle ride across Canada and back. A dream ride to mark a big year . . . the year I turned 50. The year my youngest graduated from high school and I became an empty-nester. The year I finally moved home to Canada after 32 years in the US. And the year my mom passed away from breast cancer. This ride is dedicated to her.
Attached Images

BikerAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
OK, I'm in. Good luck and ride safe.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Clipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thumb Across Canada?

Some big life events for sure!. I always wanted to ride across Canada myself.

Have to ask tho, because we see it so often..........are you riding across Canada to Nova Scotia or all the way across to Newfoundland?

Best of luck and looking forward to your upates.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
sunbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Talking Subscribed!

I wish you a great adventure!!!
sunbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
CaymanRider
CayRider

Oddometer: 2
Subscribed

Looking forward to your trip reports.
CaymanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Wow! That's going to be a terrific journey!

If you find yourself riding through Montreal, let me know and I'll spring for a coffee, beer or dinner. And if your route takes you nearby but not through Montreal, let me know as well, as I'm always up for a bit of a ride anyway.

Seems like there are a lot of folks riding from the west coast to the east coast and back this year. With you that makes at least 3 that I know of. One of them, Ovidiu, came through all the way from Vancouver, gave me a call, and we met for a couple of beers. Then his wife flew in to meet him, and together (riding 2-up) they did the Trans Labrador Highway three days after I did. And then on his way back, after dropping his wife at the airport in Boston, I rode down to Rochester NY to have dinner with him and share our experiences on the Trans Lab.

How far east are you planning on going? Nova Scotia, or even further like Newfoundland and/or PEI?

Check out my ride report (which still has a bunch more "episodes" to be posted) if you're interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005112

Is your bike a 650? 700? Hard to tell from the photo.

Ride safe!!

Eldor
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
moralem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Is your bike a 650? 700? Hard to tell from the photo.

I would venture it is a 650, it only has a single front disc, 700 has twin discs.

Looking forward to the RR as I go through withdrawals having just done my Texas to Alaska and back a couple of weeks ago.......this stuff is addicting. And may you find the memories of your mom abide as you face whatever challenges rise up to meet you and this amazing journey.
moralem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
aj226
Sloth

Oddometer: 672
1 or 5 to 16

Which highways are you planning to ride?
How long are you planning to take?

Aj
aj226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
BikerAl OP
On Kilter

Wow! Thanks to all of you for your comments! I've NEVER done this before - I mean, come out so public like this as I usually just ride - but I did make a cameo on Radioman's Advrider report when I met him on my ride to Alaska a few years ago.

Hope I can figure out how to keep this thread going on my iPad, iPhone . . . bear with me as I'm not the most technically literate.

So the plan is I leave tomorrow morning from my best friend's house in Vancouver and ride ALL THE WAY ACROSS to St. John's NFL! That's the plan, anyway. I'm sort of winging it as I've been slammed with a move from Seattle to the Sunshine Coast this summer (have you ever had to import 5 vehicles???), trying to get my little cottage livable and getting both kids settled at UBC. All that left very little room for much trip planning so I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Biting off a big day right out of the blocks - Vancouver to Canmore where I'll meet up with my sister and brother-in-law... am trying to essentially zoom through the west as I've spent a fair bit of time here and I've never seen the maritimes ...
Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
BikerAl OP
On Kilter

oh, and it's a 2010 F650GS twin . . . a replacement for my 2006 KTM 625SMC which wasn't very happy going all the way from Seattle to New Mexico and through Colorado . . . ok, maybe it was happy but I wasn't so much!

And I'm not sure on my route . . . I'm thinking I'd like to take 4 to 5 weeks as I'm a fair weather rider and I've got animals to get home to! But, well, as I said, I'm sort of winging it so we'll see!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Subscribed

Good for you,

When you get back to Vancouver I would be happy to buy you a frosty beverage over a story
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
Daggerdoggie
nOOb again

Oddometer: 84
Winging it...that's the best way to do it.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
limey1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Good luck and ride safe.
limey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Wow, BikerAl, this has been quite a year for you. I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. It's wonderful you're dedicating this ride to her. I have a feeling she and her daughter have a lot in common, not least of which are a sense of adventure and courage. Wishing you a fabulous ride. I'll be interested in your route across the prairies.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #15
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Oddometer: 176
Hope to do this next year myself, so will be taking notes. Be great if you could list the places you stay and any detail about the camping/accommodation you could provide would be helpful.

Enjoy ! Looks like the weather is improving too so your timing is good.
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote