Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #151
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
Craig, where is this on the PAR, don't remember the spot.
Hi Terry
It is at Long: 138.526247 Lat: -31.114397 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=-31.11....panoramio.all. It is about 2.5kms from Wilpena Rd. You have to ride up a small hill which is about 20m high.

2010 DR650 - Shiny Black one
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #152
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHome
Hi Terry
It is at Long: 138.526247 Lat: -31.114397 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=-31.11....panoramio.all. It is about 2.5kms from Wilpena Rd. You have to ride up a small hill which is about 20m high.
So that's on Glass gorge, left side of the road heading towards Parachillna.
Pretty close to this::

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #153
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Yep, thats around the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
So that's on Glass gorge, left side of the road heading towards Parachillna.
Pretty close to this::

2010 DR650 - Shiny Black one
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #154
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,563
had a few beers at the pub,

then headed round the back to pitch tents..

decided that the long grass and rocky carpark was 'shit'... and went back to the pub and got a room sorted..

order tea, moved bikes and unloaded gear.. then back into the bar for a feed..

stayed in the pub past closing... then sat out the front for a while for another few...

next morning was pretty slow in the old town...

brought some of the 'long grass' from the camping spot behind the pub with me....

then back up to the pub for a coffee... afterwhich, Phils bike wouldnt start... (flat battery)..

he tried to roll start her down the little dead end street opposite the pub..

didnt work

so after pushing back up the hill i found myself pushing him down the main street...a bit of sweat and she fired up

then it was off to start winding south thru the Flinders...

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 01:59 AM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #155
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
GA if I only knew you guys could have shared the spare bedroom at the cottage....always the way I guess

This would be Glass Gorge ?

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #156
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
This would be Glass Gorge ?
that would be Brachina gorge road..
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #157
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

ok... gotta finish this off today... sorry, wont be much chatter (not that there usually is a lot..)

anyway... heading south from Blinman to Wilpeena...avoiding the newly made road...

smoko..

great views..

creek beds..

great roads..

and then into Wilpeena Pound for fuel/snacks and to plan the next leg of the journey......

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:01 AM
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #158
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

from Wilpena, it was south a little down the main road..

then west onto the Moralana Scenic Road..

we were out of the Flinders now, and the world was opening up again...

we hit the main north/south road, and jumped straight across it.. we had decided to head across towards Lake Torrens..

unfortunately all the tracks we took, ended at locked farmers gates with 'no access to Lake Torrens' signs...

we finally gave up on the idea of getting to the lake and decided to follow the coal railway south west down towards Port Augusta instead..

this road was an absolute hoot.. pretty much every cattle grid crossed resulted in the bikes leaving the gound

and of course the sun was getting low, and the clouds were building so the scenery was amazing too..

given the day was getting on, and we still had a fair hike down to Port Augusta, it was time to get a few miles down..

(so no more stopping to take photos for a while )

we made Porta-Gutter on dusk, fueled, made phone calls, bought beer and the headed off again, south down Highway One, in the dark, surrounded by wind, rain and road trains...

of the few thousand kms we'd covered in the last week or so, this 50 kms was i think the longest... but we finally got to the turnoff into Mount Remarkable National Park...

it was late, it had been a long day down from Blinman.. luckily, because it was late, we got a discount on the (excessive!!) camping fees, set camp, cooked and drank beer in a wood shed out of the rain and called it a night..

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:04 AM
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #159
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

the next morning was up early

and out of the park as the sun rose..

(really like this pic )

toaday was my last day, tonight i'd be home in Adelaide, Philmeup was heading for the inlaws at Mildura, before hitting Melbourne tomorrow...

i didnt need to be home in a hurry, so it was a bit of a wind around day...

into Port Germain...but too early for breakfast

so back inland over towards Murraytown and down thru a few towns before finding somewhere open for breakfast and coffee..

then down thru Clare, stopping in at SevenHill..

for a few bottles of sticky..

then off again, dirt roads, small towns.. odd statues..

we'd decided Blanchetown would be the seperation point..

more dirt from Eudunda..

smoko at some ruins..

then east toward Brookfield Conservation Park..

Phil was in front..

i came over a rise to be greeted by this..

it was i think the only 'damp patch' we'd seen all day..

but Phil had done a good job of it

i pulled up and took that photo (above), and then had my left leg just slide out from underneath me

Phil reconed it looked like id just layed my bike down and stepped off to give him a hand... kinda like a little kid who pulls up on his bmx at the milkbar and just drops his bike on the ground and runs inside

anyway, she probably deserved a rest..

the 650 was caked in mud and had a bent brake pedal.. but was ok..

from there it was into Blanchetown..

for a farewell coke and mars bar..

and then we parted...Phil for Mildura.. and me south thru Swan Reach

into Adelaide past the Big Rocking Horse..

and home for a hot shower and bed... it had been a great 10 odd days.....

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:19 AM
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #160
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Here is a few more pics from Lake Eyre.
ready to ride to the lake

Absolutely awesome out here

dont know how this happened but it's a cool photo.

The only big dune on the track, greg charges up it

Another glorious sunset.

This is on our way to Parichilna i think

Awesome public access loop near Blinman

Not sure where this is but i liked the signage.

What a view!!

i'm done for now got to upload more pics.
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #161
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so a few weeks after the Gammon/Lake Eyre trip with Philmeup, it was time for a run over to Melbourne... wasnt a lot of time to do it, so it looked like there wouldnt be much time for dirt

so the road tyres went back on the bike for the first time since i got her..

day one i was headed from Adelaide to Bendigo..6 or 700kms i guess..

was late leaving Adelaide as usual..

was making 'good time' on the highway untill this fella came over the horizon...

whoopsie...

couple of hundred bucks and i was on my way again... 50 kms later i was over the border, and decided to turn off the highway and hit some 'smaller' made roads to ...make up some more time...

just made it to Jeparit to get some fuel (8kms left on the fuel gauge|) only to discover the fuel depot shut at midday, the after hours number was not answering, and the pub had no more ideas..

discovered 'everyone' was at the footy... rode in and asked around abit.. a guy on a dirt bike made a few calls and then said...'yep, follow me'.. we rode about 10kms out of town to an old farm house where a dear old lady was waiting with a jerry can gotta love the country folk...

off again to Warraknabeal and fueled up 'properly' there..

day was getting away again...my 5pm arrival was looking more like 7pm.. the sun dropped and it started to get COLD!

rode the last 1.5 hours into Bendigo in the dark, had a few close calls with 'roos and the onboard computer was telling me it was 2 degrees...my shivering made me think the computer was correct

Made it to Bendigo, to discover that my 'spot' tracker had got a flat battery about 400 kms earlier and there was a bit of 'concern' as to where i was... Spot is great... but it also provides people with 'more' reason to worry...

anyway, next day was an easy day down to Melbourne.. first i cut across to Maldon and hit the Bakery for breakfast..

Spent the rest of the day winding down thru Guildford, Vaugh Springs, Yandoit etc

some great little country roads and old buildings out there..

stopped in at Daylesford and battled the tourist masses for a late lunch then off toward Melbourne again..

spent a few days in Melb, catchin up with some mates, hitting the MCG for the Socceroos send off game and catchin up with mum

then time to hit the highway back to Adelaide... of course the weather came in just as i left..

was running late as usual, so decide to detour from Horsham out past Mt Arapillies and aim for a friends place at Penola for the night..

a few more close calls with 'roos and another chilly night.. and finally got to Penola..

next morning was a peaceful foggy one..

so decided to take my time the last 400kms back to Adelaide and detour thru the Coorong again..

and finally got home....in the daylight for a change....

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:25 AM
Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #162
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

and then...............

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #163
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so Paul (from way back on page 1, who bought a Harley the same day as i got my 800..) had come to his senses, sold the Harley, and after a few weeks of looking had bought a second-hand DR650...

a few weeks before he was due to pick it up, we'd started planning a 4 day Grampians trip...

the time came around quickly, we were due to meet at Dunkeld at midday... not liking the idea of getting up early enough to get there from Adelaide, i decided to leave the day before and stop down near Mt Gambier the night..

i was 'late' leaving Adelaide as usual, and was running low on fuel, so it was a detour into Murray Bridge to fuel up..

then down thru the Coorong 'again'...

was after dark when i finished the day... stopping in at a mates place to have a cold beer to warm up after the chilly nighttime ride..

next morning was bloody cold... 2 degrees when i went to pack bike...

i was late again, but made good time and got to Dunkeld only 1 hour late.. had a text from Paul saying he was running late too..

after some lunch, a few coffees, a thorough investigate of the town and more coffee, Paul finally arrived ...3 hours late.. not bad considering he only had to come about 250kms

so after a chat and the mandatory check out of each other bikes, it was time to fuel up.. and get moving... (since there was only maybe 2 hours daylight left today )

i'd spent a bit of time playing with the gps whilst waiting so had a little bit of a plan sorted for where to enter the Grampians National Park..

it was 'here'

it was a great 20 mins or so of dirt and sand.. which of course ended at the mandatory 'shut gate'..

fortunately it was just 'shut' and not 'locked'..

on again... past this 'mud-hole' that Philmeup and i had 'played' in about 6 months earlier.. bit more water in it this time... since it was getting so late (and cold) we didnt stop to play...

i'm thinking i must just be a bit more used to bikes now, as i was really enjoying this ride more than 6 months ago when Phil and i were here.. (we even 'kinda' vowed not to come back again )

all the water crossings were a bit deeper and wider now too

and the water was 'apparently' colder...

anyway, we soon called it a day (to a wonderfull full moon...)

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:29 AM
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #164
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

next day was up in Zero degree weather..

de-iced the bikes..

and headed into Halls Gap for a bakery breakfast and coffee.. then fuel and air checks..

then it was off for a run around Lake Wartook..

a little bit of a hike to a great view at the top of the lake..

and another lookout over Halls Gap..

cant remember what happened here... think it was one of those silly stop and drop your bike moments... either way, its not my bike on the ground

rest of the day was spent winding our way down south, we found a great empty campground...and since there was still about an hour of daylight left... kept riding rather than setting up..

hit the worlds slipperiest bit of track cutting down past this pine forrest..

bike was on the ground in less than a blink of an eye... bike did a 540... i did a 720 (and didnt think i was ever gonna stop sliding/spinning )

Paul being a good mate..followed my lead

no damage to the 800..

a bent gear lever (god knows how since it was on the 'upside' of the bike ) and the handlebars moved in the clamps on the DR..

we straightend (kinda) the gear lever and headed for camp

we setup camp, got a fire going..

and started 'adjusting' the DR's handlebars with a 6 foot long log didnt work too badly..

dinner, some more fire and bed..

next day was another 'beautiful day in the country'

camp was packed..

and we were off again...well untill we got to this and had to turn around

but that was fine...because it meant we got stuff like this instead

anyway... by early afternoon, we were pretty damn cold.. and the rain looked like setting in.. we were due to head home in the morning... but started thinking about maybe heading out late this arvo... rather than campin in the rain just to packup and head off in the morning..

in the end, we decided we'd head into Halls Gap (we were only about 30kms from there, and only about 10kms from the made road) warm up, have a coffee...and make a decision what to do..

I pointed right, told Paul we'd be at the bitumen in 10 kms that way..and let him lead off..

We were about 2 kms from the made road when...............................

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:35 AM
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #165
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

We were about 2 kms from the made road when...............................

i found myself swearing at a kangaroo that came out of the forrest on my left...

his head was about seat height.. and i thought..

'you stupid bloody animal'...

my next thought, as a watched dirt/gravel, grass etc skid past about 2 inches from my face for what seemed like an eternity, was 'when will i stop?'

i stopped..

i realised i'd stopped..

i didnt move..

after a couple of minutes, i had gathered my thoughts...

i could blink..

i could move my head..

i could move my right arm..

i could move my left arm..

i could move my left leg..

my right leg wasnt going anywhere... felt like it was trapped under a log..

a minute or so later i pushed up on my elbow...

i could see my bike about 5 metres away..

i could see my leg wasnt under anything..

i reached down and found my foot pointing backwards..

i was surprised how calm i was..

i reached down and spun my foot/lower leg around to point the right way..

i knew it was broken and i wasnt going anywhere...i just layed back down in the wet..

another few minutes went by and i could hear a motorbike getting closer.. i knew it was only a matter of time till Paul came back..

he called an ambulance and took some photos..

the 'roo was dead..

and the bike didnt look too happy either...

after (dunno) maybe 30 mins or so the ambulance arrived..

i got loaded then taken 40 mins to Horsham hospital..

they took xrays etc... confirmed i had a spiral fracture of the Tibia and 2 fractures in my Fibula...

they also confirmed i needed surgery on it, but they didnt have the tools there..

the next day brought a 3 hour ambulance transfer to Ballarat Hospital...

i got brought into Emergency, the orthapedic surgeons looked at my xrays and said to the nurse..

'get him ready for surgery'...she asked what time i'd be going in..they replied 'now'...

the surgeons explained some stuff to me (the operation, 'compartment syndrome', sign here), asked me if i smoked (no)..good, they said..'we wouldnt operate on this if you were a smoker'...

the nurse started to get me ready, and a couple of minutes later the surgeons were back.. nurse said i'd be about 20 mins...

the surgeons said 'no, thats too long, we'll take him now and prep him in theatre and i was whisked away..

in theatre i was bathed in antaseptic, then a needle was poked into my right thigh...it was connected to some electricity supply..when it got into my (dunno how you spell it, but it sound like) syatic nerve, my foot started to twitch... by adjusting the current/voltage they could make my foot shake faster or slower (kinda funny to watch...had to be there i guess)

this determined how much 'blocker' they had to inject into the nerve to knock it out..

after they did that, someone said...'here, have a few puffs of oxygen before we knock you out'.... 3 puffs later i was out.......

4 hours of surgery later and they were done...

'Compartment Syndrome', which apparently is where the swelling restricts the muscles,veins and nerves, choking them and ultimately killing them was 'narowly' avoided (wiki says the critical presure where urgent action is required is 30 'units' of presure... i got to 34.. and was aparrently less than 2 mins away from having 2 30 centemetre gashes cut down each side of my calf to release preasure on nerves, arteries etc.. if they die, amputation is next....

they also discovered another few fractures down near my ankle which needed a couple of screws too

anyway...

i spent 7 days in hospital, living on morpine and codine, having regular antibiotic injections to try and avoid getting an infection in the bones (which also leads to amputation...)

after a week i got out and went to my mums place near melbourne..

3 weeks later i'm still here..

at the 2 week mark i went back for a checkup... they took out 16 staples, took these xrays and were happy with progress..

its now 4 weeks... i'm still lying around with the leg elevated..

i go back for another check in 2 weeks..

they expect me to be on crutches for around 12 weeks..

the bike is 'officially' a write-off' (bent forks, intruments/headlights etc)

its been a fun 9 months and 25,000 kms on the 800..

i dont know if there will be another one....

the end.

GoneAgain screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 09:44 PM