Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #181
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg

Went to a real dodgy place (Modbury Hospital) to get it fixed, spent 47 hours waiting in the Emergency Room, due to the pain I kept falling in & out of consciousness & they eventually put me on portable guerney bed & left me in the hallway.
Due to the 'long' wait my leg & ankle swelled up to about the size of my thigh, a Doctor (also part time Taxi Driver) eventually told me at the 47th hour that I had to go home as they would not be able to operate until the swelling went down & that I had initial stages of Compartment Syndrome, so "it would be best to keep my leg elevated at home".

Spent 10 painfull days at home, until the swelling went down enough to go under the knife. Booked into The Wakefield Sport Hospital in the City & the operation took place the next day (I should have gone there in the first place).

As a result, I have got a leg full of plates & nine screws holding it all together & have lost 50% movement in my left ankle. The Wakefield Hospital advised me that if Modbury had operated on my leg in a reasonable timeframe, I would still have full movement in my ankle (I'm never going to the Modbury ever again).

l..
I went to the Modbury as well, but after waiting from 9.30am to 6pm to get a bed the doctor came round @ 10.30pm & asked if I had private health cover "yes" ok we will transfer you the the Memorial...sure enough 11.45 pm I'm off to town.

Well 12.30am & they offer me food & drink & tell me the surgeon will be round at 9.00am (public holiday..easter monday) & operate at 11 am.

He comes around & after trying to extract the x-rays from the Modbury he tells me he will operate @ 1.00pm..
Food & care was great, got out on the Tuesday...all done.

I won't even think about taking the dog to the Modbury....complete waste of time.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #182
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
I won't even think about taking the dog to the Modbury....complete waste of time.
I couldnt agree with you anymore Tel.
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #183
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Hell I'm lucky i have only ever gone to a private hostpital....and with out problems to date. Also helps my wife is a Theatre Nurse and knows all the surgeons who have operated on me

2010 DR650 - Shiny Black one
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #184
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,409
Heal up, and take your time thinking about the 800's replacement.

This shit (animal run-ins) can happen to anyone at any time. Be happy your spiral is as high as it was and you got a rod. I had one very low two years ago that got a plate and screws - I was on crutches for 6.5 months and it was 9+ before I could swing my leg over a bike again.

Good luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #185
horseman474
Outback Albatross

Oddometer: 154
Bloody Roo's

Damm mate. Real sorry to hear about your getoff.

I enjoyed reading about your travels .

Hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery and get back on with your life ASAP.

Bloody roos

Geoff.
horseman474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #186
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
How are you healing????

Hey GoneAgain,

Let us know how you are doing and what the situation is with your bike..... have you replaced it or are you going to wait for a while?

Tony
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #187
TerryK
Ulysses

I was watching a video last night from my mini DV.....riding through Blinman & past the pub...GA & Phils BMW's parked outside.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #188
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,451
.... hey thanks everyone for your good wishes\PM's\offers of help etc, they have been appreciated and added a bit of brightness to some pretty dreary days...

anyway, its 6 and a half weeks now... and i'm 'mentally' a lot better... probably because i'm now getting more than 2 hours sleep at night

i had my 6 week checkup with the surgeons a few days ago... they are happy enough.. i can now start to put a 'little' bit of weight on it (although i am still on crutches and will be in the 'rocker boot' for at least another 6 weeks..) the little bit of weight apparently helps with the healing as the bones rub together and that stimulates them to grow..

the fibula doesnt look any better in the 6 weeks xray to me...

Sundowner misses out on a new kickstand for the old tenere, as my titanium IM rod is staying in my leg.. there are no plans for any more metal work in there.. although some screws 'may' come out 'later' if need be..

got a cheque from the insurance company today... as the bike was only 9 months old, i got my purchase price back (plus a few other bit and pieces)

i went and saw the bike the other day...hard to believe they wrote it off... but i guess forks, fairings and instrumentation all cost a fair bit as spare parts....

heres a picture....

ok, flickr has changed their setup, sharing procedure etc... so no picture today till i work out how to share photos from there..

so all in all things seem to be going ok... although its been nearly 8 weeks since i've been home... and will prob be at least another month... hopefully will be able to drive in about 2 months time...

and there 'may' be another bike one day...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #189
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
So GoneAgain....

How are you going? Are you healing well? Any ideas about a new bike?

Tony
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #190
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,464
Heya GA, How's that list to Port going? Got rid of it yet? I'll try to post the Flickr photo stuff I tried (badly) to explain at the pub. I was new to Flickr when they changed everything, so I stumbled through it okay as I hadn't learnt the old way yet.
Once you've uploaded your photo from the Upload screen, hit "You", left click on the photo you want, wait until it goes to the new screen with the photo enlarged and "Actions/Share This" box above it. Left click the "Share This" and a drop down opens. Scroll down to "Grab the HTML/BBCode" option, left click and it opens the photo html. Highlight it by left clicking it, right click and "Copy" the whole blue code.
It'll look something similar to this....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundown578/4995137787/" title="100_1400 (Medium) by SundownerAdv, on Flickr">http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/...d12d1680d2.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="100_1400 (Medium)" />

I then open the ADV "Insert Image" postcard icon in the "Reply To Thread" page, insert the whole lot into the Pop-Up box.
I then trim it like this....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/...d12d1680d2.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="100_1400 (Medium)" />

by deleting the front off it from the " back to the start.

Hit enter and it should preview as the entire photo in the Reply page as per usual and it should work. Like this.....

Hope this helps you mate.

Yell out when you get back to town if you need to borrow an automatic sedan to get around with for a while. I'm riding the bike to work so the car rego's getting wasted right now. Catch you for a beer again soon.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #191
undersea4x2
Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer: 274
Ouch

Shit

Didn't think we were heading for that kind of "The end"

I feel for you as I too had an off and broke 10 bones and a spleen. Femur was the best of them and it didn't heal so I had to get the rod pulled out and done again 6 mths later.
Don't want to put too much doom on you but get in and ask the serious questions on the leg if it still hurts like hell and doesn't look to be healing.
I thought that all the medics had it under control but after pushing HARD in phyiso and thinking "no pain , no gain". They finally sent me for a cat scan and , "hellooooooo" your leg hasn't healed and we have to do it again................

Not much you can do about it and in hindsight the surgeon is the one to make the call so get in and see him sooner than later if you get the chance.

Cheers

Under

But how to dance in the rain.'

My RR's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482773

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tassie
undersea4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #192
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,451
g'day guys.. thanks again for the replys\support etc..

spose a bit of an update is in order..

where to start.........

leg is still broken... had my 12 week check with the surgeons yesterday...

got xrayed, and had a look at the pictures in with the surgeon... saw that the fibula hadnt really done anything, had the surgeon tell me i'd be in the boot for another 3 months at least.... and so me being the tough mo-fo that i am...promptly passed out in his office

i was kinda expecting the boot to go yesterday...

anyway, on a possitive note the the spiral fracture in the tibia looks to be calcifying nicely... fibula doesnt really look any different from 6 weeks ago (which didnt really look any different from 5 weeks before that...)

popped into Adelaide BMW a week or 2 ago and had a chat to the salesman there... tosser... if i go another 800 i'll prob get it from melbourne again... kinda thought i'd decided that i would get another bike.. but after yesterday i'm a bit (well maybe more than a bit) doubtfull again..

i spose that will change as time goes by...

Philmeup poped over to SA to visit for a few days last week... i sat on his bike and noticed that my right foot, with my heel on the peg, sticks out at a fair angle and doesnt come close to being able to touch the brake pedal... kinda think thats just the boot so not tooo fussed at this point but it was an interesting 'experience'

so i'm over melb way for another few days and another few physio sessions... but think i wont hang here long.. probably end up on the train back to Adelaide next week (caught it a few weeks ago...it was great..recomend it to anyone who cant ride and has all day to get there..!)

from there... dunno... i think i'll spend the rest of today workin out (or reworking) my plans for the next 3 months....

anyway... lets see if Sundowners instructions make any sense to me...

woo-hoo... thanks sundowner...

as i said... bit surprised it got written off.. (handlebars are off cos i took the steering damper out ... oh and the barkbusters and bashplate etc )

anyway...good to see a few of you at the Gov for a beer a couple of weeks back.. (obviously since im in melb i wont we getting to the Avoca beer night tonight... )

take care out there!!

GA.

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 03:09 PM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #193
TerryK
Ulysses

Gee that's bad luck GA, hope it mends quickly from now.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #194
Jeff Opunx
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 40
[quote=GoneAgain]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain

Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #195
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain
as i said... bit surprise it got written off..
It was the caked on mud that really tipped the insurance guy over the edge. He could tell it was never looked after properly.

Sorry to hear your bones aren't knitting properly. Not totally surprised by that news, given how bad it all broke. Give us a buzz when you get back to town - Gatey and I want to take you to Semaphore and use you as MILF bait. We're gonna chain you out on the beer garden lawn and see what we can catch. Hopefully something female. Plus drink in some beer and blues music.

Have you seen the photo's of the new Triumph 800 yet? I'm liking it a lot. No harm you waiting a couple more months. If you get withdrawals, we could always gaffa tape you to the KTM540 and light the wick in a bare paddock.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote