ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #61
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum
Yeah, I was wondering about that lower mount. Any reason you guys didn't fab it up as a straight shot from shock bottom to front of the curve on the swingarm brace, instead of on top of it? I would think it would be better able to handle the compression force in a straight line, rather than a 90 degree angle. The fact that you guys are bracing it up says you think so, too. But then I'm not an engineer; just thinking of all the things I've broken in the past.

Don't get me wrong, this is gorgeous work and waaayyyyy beyond anything I'd even attempt, much less pull off as successfully as you are. I'm sure there's a reason, and I'm just curious what that reason is. Keep on keeping on, real sexy cafe your working up here.

Can't wait to see more!
Yep. I understand your question and motivation. It's a combination of things really. The knuckle that comes up from the hoop is a little taller than originally mocked but seemed to put the shock in the best angle (leverage/pivot) in relation to where its mounted at the front. I also wanted the overall swingarm bracing to have a low profile...which is why heavy wall tubing was used for that hoop specifically. Thanks for the concern and polite approach to bringing it up. I'll have updated pics in the next week or so.
__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #62
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Progress!!

More of the upper rear frame is tacked up so we pushed the bike out of the garage to see how it's all coming together before final welding. Man, this is getting really fun!









I'll be scrapping the Conti tires and the front fender will be trimmed down a bit.
__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids

sparkymoto screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 07:00 AM
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #63
sakurama
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymoto
I'll be scrapping the Conti tires and the front fender will be trimmed down a bit.
Nice job so far. I'm going to keep checking in on this one. Careful on your tire selection - it looks close on the new swingarm brace and tires grow at speed. That can be a scary thing to discover when you wind it out the first time.

Can't wait to see the tail done - is it going to match the subframe and come to a point? Really liking that.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #64
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
Nice job so far. I'm going to keep checking in on this one. Careful on your tire selection - it looks close on the new swingarm brace and tires grow at speed. That can be a scary thing to discover when you wind it out the first time.

Can't wait to see the tail done - is it going to match the subframe and come to a point? Really liking that.

Gregor
Hey, Gregor. Thanks for weighing in. MUCH respect for your projects...been ogling it for years...and the photography work, my goodness.

The bracing is close. I was "hoping" the tire wouldn't distort enough to make contact and had planned on using Avon AM26 Roadrider 120/80V18. Current tire is a ContiTour 120/90. You think the /80 Avon will reduce the rub-risk a tad?

The rear point on the frame was originally going to flip up a little at the point but I'm going to leave it straight. Love the simple straight back line now. So, yes, the tail piece will come to a point and all fit flush with the tubing. Here's a aluminum tailpiece Cliff made for my brother's W650:

__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #65
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 261
That 120 rear tire must be awfully close to the swingarm. it seems the 110 is really close. I am getting tires this weekend and am going with a 120 as well since I saw you were able to. You didn't do anything special to the swingarm did you?

Ironic you mentioned the Avon's cause I am looking at those or the Dunlop GT-501's.

Looking fantastic...
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #66
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt
That 120 rear tire must be awfully close to the swingarm. it seems the 110 is really close. I am getting tires this weekend and am going with a 120 as well since I saw you were able to. You didn't do anything special to the swingarm did you?

Ironic you mentioned the Avon's cause I am looking at those or the Dunlop GT-501's.

Looking fantastic...
Thx. I like the GT tread pattern for sure. Let me know or post up on your project thread if you go through with it this weekend. I'd like to know how that works out. I suppose it would be safer to go 110. the ContiTour is less than an 1/8th from the drive shaft housing :) Google "advrider tires for airhead" for more opinions. Good luck!
__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #67
sakurama
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymoto
The bracing is close. I was "hoping" the tire wouldn't distort enough to make contact and had planned on using Avon AM26 Roadrider 120/80V18. Current tire is a ContiTour 120/90. You think the /80 Avon will reduce the rub-risk a tad?

The rear point on the frame was originally going to flip up a little at the point but I'm going to leave it straight. Love the simple straight back line now. So, yes, the tail piece will come to a point and all fit flush with the tubing. Here's a aluminum tailpiece Cliff made for my brother's W650:
Oh man, you're in for some serious mission creep on this. That tail is gorgeous and it's going to beg for a tank to match. Ah, the expensive and time consuming spiral of modding a bike.

Yeah, the 80 should totally work - you've already thought that out. Looking forward to seeing more.

G
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #68
TheTrav
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 5
wow! I just found this thread from the ongoing cafe racer thread.

I'm loving it! and I'm not talking about a mcdonalds cheesburger. sweet thread, sweet bike! keep up the good work and I'm gonna enjoy the progress!
TheTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #69
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
quick update

The seat pan is coming along and the new tank mounts are fitted. The rear tank mount was raised about 1.5" which makes for a better stance and body lines. Pics...



__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #70
locksmith777
Adventurer
 
locksmith777's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Oddometer: 61
A great thread , going to build one within the next yr or so but not decided what bike to use yet , will either be a Airhead or Honda CX unless i get any other ideas ...........Keep up the good work.......
locksmith777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #71
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 261
Nice I like the tank raising idea. Guess you'll lose a little distance as far fuel pooling to the front of the tank. You'll just have to pop wheelies to get it back to the petcocks.

What do you plan to do with the old air box area? Most of it is filled with the shock, but are you going to make a cover for it? I have a set of UNI air cleaners I ran for a while, but I hated the way the void looked without some kind of cover.

Also, how do you get both wheels to touch with the center stand down?
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #72
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt
Nice I like the tank raising idea. Guess you'll lose a little distance as far fuel pooling to the front of the tank. You'll just have to pop wheelies to get it back to the petcocks.

What do you plan to do with the old air box area? Most of it is filled with the shock, but are you going to make a cover for it? I have a set of UNI air cleaners I ran for a while, but I hated the way the void looked without some kind of cover.

Also, how do you get both wheels to touch with the center stand down?
Wheelies. hmmmm. I'll have to try that I think fuel will still reach petcocks fine...it's not too drastic of an angle change. As far as the area around the airbox...not sure yet. At this point, i want to just cap it of with aluminum plate. Have other ideas but will wait for the final thought to hit me after staring at if for a few more hours

The bike pretty much sat on both tires when on the centerstand when I bought it...on very level surface it would have a little 'air' under the front tire. I let the swingarm down about a 1/4" tho when we mocked up the new mono shock set-up. I also slid the fork tubes up through the trees about an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith
A great thread , going to build one within the next yr or so but not decided what bike to use yet , will either be a Airhead or Honda CX unless i get any other ideas ...........Keep up the good work.......
Thanks man! I'll keep an eye out for your project thread!
__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #73
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
update

Well, great news from Cliff. The tail section is done! All the tail piece shaping and seat pan is final and fitted to the bike. The flush front "tunnel" plate reeally cleans things up eh? Here are a few pics fresh out of his shop.







more pics comin'...
__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #74
sparkymoto OP
learning a lot here
 
sparkymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Indy
Oddometer: 203
Back Home Again

The bike is now back in my garage Lotsa fun ahead getting this thing ready for the season. After staring at it for a few hours, wondering where to start...I hooked up the battery and fired it up. The first ride around the neighborhood was a blast. So, of course, a few more items on the "to-do" were bumped to "NEXT season."





__________________
.
'76 BMW R75/6 Cafe Racer < build thread
'87 KLR 650, '70 Suzuki Titan, '10 Ural Red October, '00 Ural Patrol
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #75
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker
 
Ze Red Baron's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Baltimore Md
Oddometer: 437
Sparky,
this is fabulous and has to be one of the most tastefully executed cafe conversions I have seen. Period.

We'll need to post this on the Cafe Racer Pics thread when done.

Gero
__________________
1974 R75/6
2002 Stumpjumper S-Works M5
2009 Kestrel Evoke SL
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014