Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
ipetter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Question Do I need a LED dimmer for this?

So, I've decided to farkle my R1200GS a bit more in anticipation of spring and riding conditions.

I've purchased a set of 15W LED lights from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151383157776). These are supposedly 1500 lumen (probably more like 1200-ish) and throw a 30 degree spot beam. They'll be mounted on a Denali light bracket, to the sides of the beak.

I allready have a handlebar switch to use for on/off operation of these lights. The question is: Do I need a dimmer on these to avoid blinding oncoming traffic?

I'm hoping to avoid it, but I don't want to blind my fellow motorists and certainly don't want any trouble with the law or road authorities. If the concensus is that I do need one, wich one do you recommend? I'd like something with a high-beam bypass, to make them go 100% brightness when the high beam is on.
ipetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,116
First, you never know, but I really imagine those are more likely a 10 watt LED die, running at just under 10 watts. And if lucky, at near 100lm per watt, you would be well under 1000lm, let alone 1500lm.

But anyway, I had a set of cheap 10 watt LED spots on my bike. I believe they were actually three 3 watt leds each, or about 9 watts total from what I could measure. I made a dimmer for them because I felt they were a bit much without the dimmer. Now I'm running closer to 18 watts, dimmed to about 20%. 100% in the open countryside at night on high.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,623
With an operating voltage of 9 to 60V, there's some kind of power regulator in there.

Your LED dimmer is probably a Pulse Width Modulation controller which turns the power on and off so fast that it mostly "looks" like a lower voltage.

The power regulator in the lights may play well with the PWM dimmer but it may not. It really depends on the frequency used by the PWM and how well the regulator at the LED handles power being interrupted.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
The counterpoint to conspicuity is causing drivers to avert their gaze due to being blinded. Good on you for understanding that. A 30 degree lamp could cause a problem. I'd slave it to the high beam so as to not worry about blinding drivers....unless you're already blinding them with the high beam.
The Hella micro fogs that, I think, come on the GS already do a great job of lighting up the sides with the best beam cut-off available outside of a HID.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
ipetter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
The counterpoint to conspicuity is causing drivers to avert their gaze due to being blinded. Good on you for understanding that. A 30 degree lamp could cause a problem. I'd slave it to the high beam so as to not worry about blinding drivers....unless you're already blinding them with the high beam.
The Hella micro fogs that, I think, come on the GS already do a great job of lighting up the sides with the best beam cut-off available outside of a HID.
Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming

My GS doesn't have any other auxilliary lights, just the semi-crappy headlights. I purchased these LED lights for both conspicuity during the daytime and some extra throw at night. But most importantly, for extra light when riding through dark tunnels - and we have plenty of those here in Norway, at least on the most motorcycle-friendly roads.

A bit of Googleing turned up this dimmer from ADVmonster. It's the cheapest option I could find for at dimmer with high-beam bypass. I was surprised to find none on eBay! Still, they're $45 + intl. shipping... About the same as the lights themselves cost. Isn't there a cheaper option for what I want/need?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipetter View Post
Isn't there a cheaper option for what I want/need?
Thus the reason that I built my own.
Not an easy task though.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
ipetter OP
Adventurer

I'm resonalbly capable of working on the bike, but when it comes to electrics I'm rather lost. Building my own dimmer is pretty much out of the question. I'm looking for a plug-and-play solution that I can hook up using Posi-Lock/Tap. I have an Eastern Beaver 3CS that I'll use to supply switched power to my setup, using a 7.5 amp. fuse.

I may have to bite the $45 bullet here

Anyone know what gauge the high beam wire on a 2006 R1200GS is? From what I can tell it's an easy job to tap into that wire when opening up the bulb cover on the high beam side, but I can't find what gauge wire it is or what size Posi-Tap to use on it. These will also have to be ordered, and I don't want to screw up on the size...

edit: Just bit the bullet and ordered the dimmer from ADVmonster. Reasonable intl. shipping from him, I must say!

ipetter screwed with this post 01-04-2015 at 10:47 AM Reason: Updated info
Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,677
you need a $4 led dimmer from ebay

and a simple relay hooked to your high beam

on low beam it runs thru the dimmer
switch to high and the relay simply bypasses the dimmer and the aux lights to 100%

the pwm occurs through the ground side of the cheap dimmers I've used so that's the circuit leg that needs to be through the relay
Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
you need a $4 led dimmer from ebay

and a simple relay hooked to your high beam

on low beam it runs thru the dimmer
switch to high and the relay simply bypasses the dimmer and the aux lights to 100%

the pwm occurs through the ground side of the cheap dimmers I've used so that's the circuit leg that needs to be through the relay
That's exactly the way I did it with my LED lamps.

Using this > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-LED-S...item3cd8731e8d

lots of crazy strobe effects and a series of dim settings, good news is it remembers the chosen setting after power off.

I only use the dimming, not the strobe ;)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,677
I have only experimented with this dimmer

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291040985318?nav=SEARCH

remove the box and waterproof the board and heat shrink and put in line somewhere (it's small)

extend the wires to the dimmer knob if you want, or set it for low beam and forget it
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
I just installed 2x model 44 advmonster aux lights and their dimmer.

their specs says 2000 lumens per light. dimmer is a must IMO.

the range of adjustment wasnt what I expected....meaning...the point at which lights become visible was brighter than I anticipated.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #12
ipetter OP
Adventurer

Thanks again for all your help, people... I'm now waiting for the lights, bracket and dimmer to arrive. All that's left is ordering the Posi-tap. From what I can tell, the white high beam wire is in the 16-18 gauge range. That means a blue Posi-tap, I believe... Can anyone verify this?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I have only experimented with this dimmer

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291040985318?nav=SEARCH

remove the box and waterproof the board and heat shrink and put in line somewhere (it's small)

extend the wires to the dimmer knob if you want, or set it for low beam and forget it
Damn, wish I had known, I wanted to dim the led's I put under my kitchen cabinets and fireplace mantle and bought two of these @ $35 each

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/60w-...roducts/844241
Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/m...le-led-dimmer/

One method.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote