User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Remus Hexacone Baffle Removal

I couldn't find much helpful info on how to get the baffle out of the Remus Hexacone so I'll give you my step by step...

1. Remove the allen bolt that sits just inside the tip of the exhaust end.
2. Go out and ride to dislodge the baffle otherwise you'll have no part of the baffle to grip. Stop every few miles to check and see if it's pushed out enough to grab it with a vice grip. If you're worried about it coming all the way out, don't. Mine would've required rocket ship pressure to dislodge completely and you'll most likely hear it if it does.
3. Once it's loosened grab a hold of it with whatever tool you feel most comfortable using and pull hard while gently moving it back and forth and up and down. I used a vice grip with a cloth over the teeth and it scratched the baffle. I have zero intention of putting it back in so it's no biggie to me but be aware that it takes some force to remove it this way. It took several minutes for mine to come out using this technique so if you go this route be patient.

Post op I looked inside to see why it was so hard to remove and it appears that Remus slightly crimps the pipe where the baffle slides into it. Given that their materials probably vary slightly, ease of removal will probably be different for everyone.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please PM me!

Update: WOW!!! Removing the baffle REALLY smooths out the throttle! Not so much of an on/off feel anymore.

Brown Town screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 09:52 AM Reason: Update
Brown Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
catsfive
30,000 kms since 2006

Oddometer: 262
I have a Remus Hexacone muffler. I've removed the nut, but the baffle won't come out. Some videos I've seen on YT suggest using a broom handle from the other end, oh, OK, but how do I get it off the long neck pipe? Can I just take the can only off?
1980 Vespa P200E (Yin)
"Where I'm going, you cannot follow." - Marko Ramius

RESPEK. It's not even in the dictionary anymore.
catsfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 339
I used a car jack handle - insert into the end of the exhaust, and hook the lug (or hook) into the baffle edge, and clamp mole grips onto handle end so you can tap it out with a mallet or hammer. Best give it a good squirt of WD40 the night before if it's been on the bike for a while.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm about to do it again on my Remus Roxx/990.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
mikemaycga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I couldn't get the cone out a month ago when I first installed the hexacone. WD40 plus a few taps on the cone to wiggle the WD40 in and success. I used the small needle nosed vice grips to grasp the inner pipe, clamped a larger vice grip on the needle nosed grips and tapped with a roofing hammer.

Success. I think that the combination of WD40, plus breaking the seal when they ground the edges of the pipe even, made the difference.

Love the sound. The 800GS burbles and low rpm, is quiet in the mid rpms and makes a bit more noise at high rpm. Feels like the motor revs a bit freer at higher rpms.

Now, if only we could project the noise forward so cagers hear us arriving and watch out. Not a lot of real help when they only hear the bike when we get in front of them.
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
On mine I just removed the Allen head holding it in and went for a ride. Stopped after about five miles and used the needle nose pliers on my multi tool to put them out. (When hot they come right out in my experience anyway)
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
On mine I just removed the Allen head holding it in and went for a ride. Stopped after about five miles and used the needle nose pliers on my multi tool to put them out. (When hot they come right out in my experience anyway)
Took it out for a ride without the set screw, came back and tugged at the inside edge with a spring puller/hook and it popped right out.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
No Difference....

I have a Hexicone on my 2011 R1200GS and I pulled the baffle to see if I could detect any difference at all... I did not notice anything beyond a different sound, and not necessarily a better sound.

Wondering why people are making this move to delete the baffle? Sound, performance or looks?

Thanks
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote