User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
IceDot

This is intriguing. Basically a sensor on your helmet that detects a crash and then uses bluetooth to signal your phone to notify your emergency contact.

https://icedot.org/site/
Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Icedot

This company is owned by a friend of mine and he is a moto guy as well. They are new to the market this year and they work great (not that you want to test that out!) He has been focusing on the bicycle and snow industry to start and Moto is next. If anyone is interested in one of these hit me up and i will put you in contact with the owner. i bet he will give some better pricing to get some out in the ADV market. I have one on my Helmet and it is nice piece of mind for my lady when i am out. Super cool gadget!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Not sure if it is possible, but if he could get it to communicate with a Spot tracker to send an alert when out of cell coverage, that would be a killer product too. I could see someone like Spot paying a nice chunk to buy tech like that.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 417
If this is the one I am thinking of, it's awesome. IIRC, it has a slight delay, like a 30 second timer that allows you to cancel the call as well if you accidentally set it off. Very brilliant idea.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
You are correct, you set the timer to a custom response time and it has a loud alarm. if you do not deactivate it in that time it will send a message to your emergency contacts that you have set up in your profile online. a custom message will show up on their phone with whatever you want it to say, or with important medical conditions or allergies that you want someone to know about including the first responder. within the text that goes out there is a link to your gps coordinates. hitting a bump or jumping big sweet ramps will not set it off, it is programmed to activate at the impact rating that can knock you out or cause a concussion. I know he is making efforts to work with spot for those few places we do not get reception, but my most concerned riding is the populated areas that bozos are texting and driving their cars.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 439
Android phones can use a similar free app called Cradar no helmet goodie needed

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Android phones can use a similar free app called Cradar no helmet goodie needed
+1

Been using that app for a while. Nice for general solo use.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Oddometer: 6,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post
Not sure if it is possible, but if he could get it to communicate with a Spot tracker to send an alert when out of cell coverage, that would be a killer product too. I could see someone like Spot paying a nice chunk to buy tech like that.
This would be real nice for solo rides. I would be all over it if it had Spot connectivity.

As it is today I wear a RealId set of dog tags with my major medical stuff and ICE info. I also ride with a spot on my person incase the bike and I end up in seperate places.
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote