ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1501
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 1,853
Thanks for the tips....will try the 5 and the 2 second settings next and see how that works.

Windows live movie maker can only go down to .25 seconds per image so I would be limited to 4 frames per second max on any movie that I make.

The experimentation continues but so far I love the Hero 2!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #1502
Merlin III
Mean SOB
 
Merlin III's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 1,309
I just got my Hero2 about an hour ago. Out of the box I was surprised how small the menu box is and how hard to read it. It may be better in direct sun light. Is there a contrast adjustment in there somewhere? If I purchase the rear LCD does the menu appear on it?
__________________
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #1503
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,103
Yes the menu will show up on the LCD screen and it actually spells out the menu items instead of just using icons

Jon...
__________________
2003 Nighthawk 750
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #1504
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I just got my Hero2 about an hour ago. Out of the box I was surprised how small the menu box is and how hard to read it. It may be better in direct sun light. Is there a contrast adjustment in there somewhere? If I purchase the rear LCD does the menu appear on it?

it's free to download off the GoPro website.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #1505
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
it's free to download off the GoPro website.
What is free to download?
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #1506
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed
 
bash3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
What is free to download?
He's probably talking about the manual :)

The LCD does show the menu much better and large and clear. The LCD is a great accessory especially if you need to make sure you are getting the right shot. I use my Hero2 with my IndieHardware stabilizer...and the LCD is awesome for these types of shots..
__________________
08' Yamaha WR250R
09' Yamaha WR250F
14' BMW F800GSA

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #1507
Merlin III
Mean SOB
 
Merlin III's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 1,309
I think I am turning this thread into a "GoPro for Dummies" thread, but I guess what is, is.

My intended use of the camera is for taking video on my blacktop tours this Summer. I am now dealing with the best and safest way to mount the camera on my 1150GS. I played with the suction cup last night on the dining room table. It really bites the table hard, but in each of my three trials the seal was broken within an hour and the camera was laying down.

I haven't dealt yet with the adhesive mounts, but philosophically I am opposed to putting any adhesive on my bike-it just doesn't seem right. I thought about getting the chest harness mount for 35 dollars, but the cost of the camera is starting to get up there when you add up all the extras. I also don't think the results would be good if, god forbid, I did a chest plant. As far as putting the camera on my helmet, that too really doesn't fit me. Also, some have told me that in some States helmet mounts are illegal.

So, I imagine this issue has crossed the minds of many others. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to mount the camera safely and that does not make me look like a space alien? Thanks in advance for any replies.
__________________
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.

Merlin III screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 05:07 AM
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #1508
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,651
GoPro Mounts

I use the adhesive mounts on my helmet and they stick amazing. For the bike nothing beats a RAM mount and a Manfrotto Nano clamp. You can clamp the camera to a crash bar, a handlebar or pretty much anywhere. You move the camera in seconds and it does not fall off. I've had mine on multiple bikes in many crashes and it is fine. It will give in an impact which is also nice. Some RAM u-bolt mounts are nice if you have a few spots you use regularly. I think I posted some pics way back in this thread somewhere. Post #7. You can use a shorter arm as well.








Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I think I am turning this thread into a "GoPro for Dummies" thread, but I guess what is, is.

My intended use of the camera is for taking video on my blacktop tours this Summer. I am now dealing with the best and safest way to mount the camera on my 1150GS. I played with the suction cup last night on the dining room table. It really bites the table hard, but in each of my three trials the seal was broken within an hour and the camera was laying down.

I haven't dealt yet with the adhesive mounts, but philosophically I am opposed to putting any adhesive on my bike-it just doesn't seem right. I thought about getting the chest harness mount for 35 dollars, but the cost of the camera is starting to get up there when you add up all the extras. I also don't think the results would be good if, god forbid, I did a chest plant. As far as putting the camera on my helmet, that too really doesn't fit me. Also, some have told me that in some States helmet mounts are illegal.

So, I imagine this issue has crossed the minds of many others. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to mount the camera safely and that does not make me look like a space alien? Thanks in advance for any replies.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum

Motoriley screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 06:35 AM Reason: Kaant Sphell Whel
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #1509
Merlin III
Mean SOB
 
Merlin III's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I use the adhesive mounts on my helmet and they stick amazing. For the bike nothing beats a RAM mount and a Manfrotto Nano clamp. You can clamp the camera to a crash bar, a handlebar or pretty much anywhere. You move the camera in seconds and it does not fall off. I've had mine on multiple bikes in many crashes and it is fine. It will give in an impact which is also nice. Some RAM u-bolt mounts are nice if you have a few spots you use regularly. I think I posted some pics way back in this thread somewhere. Post #7. You can use a shorter arm as well.

Yep, that is what I need to get. Hopefully White Horse carries them.
__________________
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #1510
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,651
Mount

It's kind of a mixed bag. The arm and balls on each end are made by RAM and any RAM dealer can get them. You need 2 balls that have a 1/4x20 thread sticking out. Then you need the GoPro tripod adapter and the Manfrotto Nano clamp is usually only available from camera stores and most will have to order it. Put Locktite red on the Nano threads to be safe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Yep, that is what I need to get. Hopefully White Horse carries them.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1511
hppyfngy
not dead yet
 
hppyfngy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the Skyline meets the BRP
Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I think I am turning this thread into a "GoPro for Dummies" thread, but I guess what is, is.

My intended use of the camera is for taking video on my blacktop tours this Summer. I am now dealing with the best and safest way to mount the camera on my 1150GS. I played with the suction cup last night on the dining room table. It really bites the table hard, but in each of my three trials the seal was broken within an hour and the camera was laying down.

I haven't dealt yet with the adhesive mounts, but philosophically I am opposed to putting any adhesive on my bike-it just doesn't seem right. I thought about getting the chest harness mount for 35 dollars, but the cost of the camera is starting to get up there when you add up all the extras. I also don't think the results would be good if, god forbid, I did a chest plant. As far as putting the camera on my helmet, that too really doesn't fit me. Also, some have told me that in some States helmet mounts are illegal.

So, I imagine this issue has crossed the minds of many others. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to mount the camera safely and that does not make me look like a space alien? Thanks in advance for any replies.
You seem awfully concerned about things besides making a cool video, like how you look or using sticky mounts on your bike. I think you're dismissing some things out of hand with no good reason. I've never heard of helmet mounts being illegal. Can't for the life of me think why that would be the case, and I would challenge that anyway and do it if I wanted to.

For some things the helmet mount works fine. I prefer the chest harness point of view for most riding. It gives the most feeling of "being on the bike" as you watch the video. Any way you mount the thing to your body provides a buffer between bike vibrations and the camera too. And I don't know what your table is made of, but I've used that suction cup on a car and on a bike tank and it never even thought of letting go.

But, for a long trip, I'd think a permanent RAM mount would be the ticket. You just have to fiddle around with it to see where you like it best.

Either way you do it though a tether of some kind is always a good idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I use the adhesive mounts on my helmet and they stick amazing. For the bike nothing beats a RAM mount and a Manfrotto Nano clamp. You can clamp the camera to a crash bar, a handlebar or pretty much anywhere. You move the camera in seconds and it does not fall off. I've had mine on multiple bikes in many crashes and it is fine. It will give in an impact which is also nice. Some RAM u-bolt mounts are nice if you have a few spots you use regularly. I think I posted some pics way back in this thread somewhere. Post #7. You can use a shorter arm as well.

This is a nice elegant setup but not cheap. That nano clamp alone is at least $30.
__________________
Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1512
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina
 
Juanjo_NY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: WashingtonVille, NY
Oddometer: 4,266



SOLD
__________________
cheers, Juanjo

Juanjo_NY screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 09:01 PM
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #1513
GoFasterPB
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
For the bike nothing beats a RAM mount and a Manfrotto Nano clamp.
How is vibration with that mount?

Using the GoPro bar mount is a bit buzzy on both bikes I've used it on. Wondering if the Nano/RAM combo would be any better.
GoFasterPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #1514
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Either way you do it though a tether of some kind is always a good idea.

This is a nice elegant setup but not cheap. That nano clamp alone is at least $30.
That nano clamp is around $60us over here. $29us from B&H in your neck of the planet.

A riding buddy and I swapped helmets so he could get some footage of me (ha! It takes more than that to make me fall off!) and he got it tangled in some spring growth over the track and got pulled off the bike. The camera tilted up a bit and that was it. Solid.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #1515
Merlin III
Mean SOB
 
Merlin III's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
You seem awfully concerned about things besides making a cool video, like how you look or using sticky mounts on your bike. I think you're dismissing some things out of hand with no good reason. I've never heard of helmet mounts being illegal. Can't for the life of me think why that would be the case, and I would challenge that anyway and do it if I wanted to.
I do think it is fair to say that most people do reasonably care what they look like. I don't have a lot to work with in the first place so I have to take every opportunity I have not to look even more geeky .

As far as attaching semi-permanent junk such as GoPro adhesive mounting gear or even stickers from past tours, I will not deface my bike-it just isn't me. I am fine with others who wish to do so-to each their own.

I got the information about some States not allowing helmet cams from a thread on the Yankee Beemers site. One of the senior members mentioned it and no one refuted the statement.
__________________
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014