Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1996
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Sorry, I meant capture bandwidth, if I'm reading (and understanding it) corectly they've doubled the speed at which the cam processes (samples) the captured video stream.
I did some reading and watched some videos. So, it's definitely a higher bitrate encoding that produces higher quality output.

The next question is, they talk a lot about processing it in Cineform Studio, which, apparently, substantially improves the color quality when you view it. But, can you just pull the video straight off the camera and watch it with no post-processing at all, exactly the same as if you recorded it with ProTune off? I realize the color might not look as good as the color would if you recorded with ProTune off, or if you did the Cineform processing. But, sometimes I would think you'd want to just go straight from recording on camera to watching without spending that additional time jacking around on your computer. If you like what you recorded enough, you could go back later and do the processing to sort the color quality.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #1997
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Protune

Yes you could watch it without Cineform. The whole logic behind ProTune is that the camera tries to capture as much brightness information as possible. Normally when the camera exposes an image it compromises a lot by either making the dark parts of the image a little too black or the bright parts a little too white. It does this so that something like a persons face looks good but the sky might just look solid white and you would loose the details of the clouds. If you look at footage shot for tv shows, on very expensive digital cameras, it has a very bland, flat unsaturated look.The camera person is really just trying to capture all the image information possible without loosing any at the extremes of light and dark (clipping). Later the editor (really the colorist) will adjust that and make the image look great. Obviously for consumer cameras people want it to look good right away so most of them try expose for human faces and give bright saturated colors right out of the box. The problem is that when you try to adjust that to get a better looking sky for instance the information just isn't there.
As far as data rate goes, a higher rate allows the camera to compress the image less. In low motion situations you won't see a lot of difference between 18 and 35mbs but when there is a lot of quick movement it is very challenging for the camera to throw out 90% of the image information and still have a nice looking picture. Give the camera twice the amount of data and it doesn't have to throw away so much picture information in order to make the data rate limit.
I've over simplified a bit and there are other factors but this is how I usually explain it to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I did some reading and watched some videos. So, it's definitely a higher bitrate encoding that produces higher quality output.

The next question is, they talk a lot about processing it in Cineform Studio, which, apparently, substantially improves the color quality when you view it. But, can you just pull the video straight off the camera and watch it with no post-processing at all, exactly the same as if you recorded it with ProTune off? I realize the color might not look as good as the color would if you recorded with ProTune off, or if you did the Cineform processing. But, sometimes I would think you'd want to just go straight from recording on camera to watching without spending that additional time jacking around on your computer. If you like what you recorded enough, you could go back later and do the processing to sort the color quality.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1998
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Yes you could watch it without Cineform. The whole logic behind ProTune is that the camera tries to capture as much brightness information as possible. Normally when the camera exposes an image it compromises a lot by either making the dark parts of the image a little too black or the bright parts a little too white. It does this so that something like a persons face looks good but the sky might just look solid white and you would loose the details of the clouds. If you look at footage shot for tv shows, on very expensive digital cameras, it has a very bland, flat unsaturated look.The camera person is really just trying to capture all the image information possible without loosing any at the extremes of light and dark (clipping). Later the editor (really the colorist) will adjust that and make the image look great. Obviously for consumer cameras people want it to look good right away so most of them try expose for human faces and give bright saturated colors right out of the box. The problem is that when you try to adjust that to get a better looking sky for instance the information just isn't there.
As far as data rate goes, a higher rate allows the camera to compress the image less. In low motion situations you won't see a lot of difference between 18 and 35mbs but when there is a lot of quick movement it is very challenging for the camera to throw out 90% of the image information and still have a nice looking picture. Give the camera twice the amount of data and it doesn't have to throw away so much picture information in order to make the data rate limit.
I've over simplified a bit and there are other factors but this is how I usually explain it to people.

Motoriley, I went back and watched a vid on the Protune, I think you explained it very well. A GP's color can definately get a little freaked out, I see it allot in Utah where the Red Rock seems to overwelm the cam sometimes, I have no problem with doing a little color tweaking at processing time, hopefully the PT will help there.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #1999
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
I've been playing with me Hero3 a little just shooting some video inside and although I've tried many different settings teh videos always end being very choppy (a pause in capture every second or so) whether viewed straight from the SD card or downloaded to my pc first. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I've tried different resolution, fps, protune off/on, etc...
Thanks. Probably stating the obvious but this is my first gopro.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #2000
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Playing with the 720p/120fps today:

rtadlock, that looks nice! the 120fps really catches the slomo. Cool dog too

I've been doing alot of reading on some GP forums on the Hero3, seems battery life is a bit short. Apparently the MAH rating is the same as the Hero II battery but now the wifi is fully powered by the units battery which shortens it's life. I'm thinking I might use the cam without the wireless function to get max battery time. Wireless wasn't the main selling point, slomo and clairity like the clip above did it for me.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #2001
Motoriley

Choppy

Sounds like your computer is too slow. Playing back mpeg4 needs a lot of horsepower in HD. You won't be able to watch it on a crappy netbook (like the one I'm typing on now). What are your computers specs? It is unlikely that the footage is recorded that way. If the memory card is defective or not fast enough the camera usually just stops recording. Try setting the GoPro to the lowest resolution WVGA 848x480 and copy that to your 'puter. that would be the easiest to playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I've been playing with me Hero3 a little just shooting some video inside and although I've tried many different settings teh videos always end being very choppy (a pause in capture every second or so) whether viewed straight from the SD card or downloaded to my pc first. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I've tried different resolution, fps, protune off/on, etc...
Thanks. Probably stating the obvious but this is my first gopro.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #2002
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Sounds like your computer is too slow. Playing back mpeg4 needs a lot of horsepower in HD. You won't be able to watch it on a crappy netbook (like the one I'm typing on now). What are your computers specs? It is unlikely that the footage is recorded that way. If the memory card is defective or not fast enough the camera usually just stops recording. Try setting the GoPro to the lowest resolution WVGA 848x480 and copy that to your 'puter. that would be the easiest to playback.
Thanks. I did that and the chops are at a a faster rate and shorter in duration. So smoother is that regard.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #2003
Motoriley

Choppy

If it plays better at the lower resolution that would indicate it is your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks. I did that and the chops are at a a faster rate and shorter in duration. So smoother is that regard.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #2004
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
If it plays better at the lower resolution that would indicate it is your computer.
Yes, hooked to my tv it's smooth. Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #2005
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Anyone see this kind of video corruption? Starts at about 40 seconds, and continued, though I didn't know it, until I changed the battery.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #2006
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Anyone see this kind of video corruption? Starts at about 40 seconds, and continued, though I didn't know it, until I changed the battery.
I haven't seen that exact issue, but I had a very similar issue with a GoPro HD, I sent a clip to GoPro, they watched it and sent me a new camera. I also had a second GoPro HD2 and it had mic issue, sent GoPro the clip and.. once again sent me out a new one. This last HD2 has been flawless for a long time now..

Definitely talk with GoPro, even if its out of warranty they've been known to hook you up..

also, does it do that all the time now or have you got good footage from it? Mine was hit or miss.. which even made it worse!

Good luck

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #2007
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I haven't seen that exact issue, but I had a very similar issue with a GoPro HD, I sent a clip to GoPro, they watched it and sent me a new camera. I also had a second GoPro HD2 and it had mic issue, sent GoPro the clip and.. once again sent me out a new one. This last HD2 has been flawless for a long time now..

Definitely talk with GoPro, even if its out of warranty they've been known to hook you up..

also, does it do that all the time now or have you got good footage from it? Mine was hit or miss.. which even made it worse!

Good luck
I've had good results at other times - this is the first time I've seen this happen, though it did it for at least 30 minutes. I've only had it a little more than a month so it's still under warranty. I contacted the company this morning but have not had anything but an auto-reply up to now.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #2008
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I've had good results at other times - this is the first time I've seen this happen, though it did it for at least 30 minutes. I've only had it a little more than a month so it's still under warranty. I contacted the company this morning but have not had anything but an auto-reply up to now.
Ok.. good.. what I did was went to GoPro.com and contacted them there. I put a small clip on my Dropbox and included the link for them and they quickly responded and got it taken care of. I didn't mess with the place I bought it from. I'd recommend doing that.. they will replace it for sure. Don't mess around though.. if it did it once who knows if it will do it again. That's what i was scared of!

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #2009
jagged slider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question 2 or 3

Hero 2 for $200 or the Hero 3 Black for $350 (black Friday sale at a military exchange). This will be my first camera of this type. I am leaning towards the Black as it comes with a bunch of accessories which would seem to save me the hassle of buying later.

Thanks for your thoughts.
jagged slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #2010
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Considering I paid $300.00 for my Hero HD when they came out I'd say $350.00 for the black sounds like a good deal to me. Plus the H3 Black has better specs than the H3 non-black versions.

Jon...