Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #2011
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Cool thread. Just ordered a Hero2 motorsports edition from Amazon.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #2012
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,484
I'd hold off a little while on the H3s, esp the Black. There's some issues that GP is currently working on, battery life has been wildly inconsistant amoung the same models (seems to be tracable to software & the ma rating on the charge device), there's some issues with it locking up and needing a battery pull to restore. Lastly they are just now sorting out the WIFI ~ smartphone connectivity on the white & silver. Black dowsn't work with the app and isn't due for a software update till Dec 14

Don't ask me why I know all this
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #2013
jagged slider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'd hold off a little while on the H3s, esp the Black. There's some issues that GP is currently working on, battery life has been wildly inconsistant amoung the same models (seems to be tracable to software & the ma rating on the charge device), there's some issues with it locking up and needing a battery pull to restore. Lastly they are just now sorting out the WIFI ~ smartphone connectivity on the white & silver. Black dowsn't work with the app and isn't due for a software update till Dec 14

Don't ask me why I know all this

So it looks like getting a good deal on a 2 may be the best way to go. As it appears that your statement is made upon wild speculation, Wikipedia and the National Enquirer , do your 'sources' indicate that all the problems will be fixed with the software update, or will this mirror Micro Soft and be a patch to fix a patch scenario??.
jagged slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #2014
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged slider View Post
So it looks like getting a good deal on a 2 may be the best way to go. As it appears that your statement is made upon wild speculation, Wikipedia and the National Enquirer , do your 'sources' indicate that all the problems will be fixed with the software update, or will this mirror Micro Soft and be a patch to fix a patch scenario??.
Not speculating Do some searching on the different GoPro forums and judge for yourself. I didn't base my statement on what the forums are stating, I'm using the H3 Black (with 3 extra batterys), unfortunately I've expierenced first hand what I've been reading. It appears GP went the Microsoft route, we're all Beta testers Not trying to dog GoPro here, I'm a big fan of their equipment. I've had every generation GP camera, their Customer Service has been first rate and they make a great product. I still believe in the H3s but IMO they aren't quite ready for prime time just yet.

Here's some 1080P/60FPS video from the Hero 3 Black edition.

It's tough to show the cams quality in Youtube without creating a very large file. I can get super crisp and vivid video straight off the cam but unfortunately most people can't/won't D/L a 4Gig video. If you're going this route, you'll want a good video editor. Right now many of the programs don't have the capability to work with the H3s higher resolutions. I rendered this with Vegas Pro 12 and backed the quality down 50% from what I'd prefer, this video is still over a gig. I'm running a 6 core 17 Extreme edition (990X) CPU, 2 video cards, 7200RPM drives and processing raw video off the H3 still manages to tax it pretty well. IMO at least an I5 is needed and preferably an I7 if one plans to render the higher resolutions, other processors may do it but I doubt it will be pretty.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #2015
jagged slider
Adventurer

Quote:
Not speculating Do some searching on the different GoPro forums and judge for yourself. I didn't base my statement on what the forums are stating, I'm using the H3 Black (with 3 extra batterys), unfortunately I've expierenced first hand what I've been reading. It appears GP went the Microsoft route, we're all Beta testers Not trying to dog GoPro here, I'm a big fan of their equipment. I've had every generation GP camera, their Customer Service has been first rate and they make a great product. I still believe in the H3s but IMO they aren't quite ready for prime time just yet.

It's tough to show the cams quality in Youtube without creating a very large file. I can get super crisp and vivid video straight off the cam but unfortunately most people can't/won't D/L a 4Gig video. If you're going this route, you'll want a good video editor. Right now many of the programs don't have the capability to work with the H3s higher resolutions. I rendered this with Vegas Pro 12 and backed the quality down 50% from what I'd prefer, this video is still over a gig. I'm running a 6 core 17 Extreme edition (990X) CPU, 2 video cards, 7200RPM drives and processing raw video off the H3 still manages to tax it pretty well. IMO at least an I5 is needed and preferably an I7 if one plans to render the higher resolutions, other processors may do it but I doubt it will be pretty.
Well at least you got my poor attempt at humor.
I never even gave a thought to the computer processing requirement to edit/work the video. That means that I will have to upgrade the computer too. Now the H3 does not seem like a good deal. Of course with the 3, I am somewhat future proofing myself and I would not necessarily have to use it's full resolution.

Now my decision is do I get the tried and true or take a bit of a gamble and go with the 3?

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2016
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,106
Personally, I'd rather deal with the Black's issues for a little while, while waiting for a fix from GP, and have built in WiFi and better low light capabilities.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2017
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Well at least you got my poor attempt at humor.
My wife says I take eveything literally, that went right over my head

This is all just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, the black is an awesome cam and you would be future proofing, look at the evolution in thses cams, started out @ 640x480 and we're up to ultra-high resolution 2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps, stills are much better also. Sound, while not bad in the old cams sound is much improved, like StuartV mentioned, low light is improved, infact the entire light spectrum is handled much better. Many of the shots in the video above are facing into a bright sun yet the picture is easily seen, the prev gen wasn't nearly as adept at handling bright light. The new Lens is also a game changer, much less fishbowl effect.

My recommendation to hold off till they get a handle on the battery issue is based on the fact that it might require more than a software update in which case you're stuck waiting on parts or worse yet, stuck with a situation that cannot be fixed with the current release of the cam. The wifi is nice but it compounds the battery problem. I though I could use WiFi and have the cam standing by to save memory and battery, all it does is save memory, the power cosumption is enough that the cam still shits off in 30 or so min.

With the prev gen I was used to replacing the battery every 2 hours and filming most of a day's ride with 3 batterys. That's def not the case with this cam. 4 batterys captured about 1.5 hours and managed to corrupt a couple files when it shut off that included another 20min of vid. The cam is supposed to sense a low batt condition and save the current file before shutting off, that function is still flakey, add the extra wifi power consumption and you'll be constantly checking to see if it's still running.

Knowing what I know now, would I still buy this cam, yes. Would I buy it right when it was released, no.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2018
jagged slider
Adventurer

Quote:
Knowing what I know now, would I still buy this cam, yes. Would I buy it right when it was released, no.
Little bit confused about your last post. You indicate that you would still buy the cam, but not when is was first released. Isn't the Black basically brand new? Have there been any fixes in the last couple of months?

I was just poking a little fun at your 'don't ask me how I know all this' line with a comment. At least I did not completely insult you!

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #2019
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Little bit confused about your last post. You indicate that you would still buy the cam, but not when is was first released. Isn't the Black basically brand new? Have there been any fixes in the last couple of months?

I was just poking a little fun at your 'don't ask me how I know all this' line with a comment. At least I did not completely insult you!

Thanks.
Yes, all the H3 cams are brand new. My statement was a "if I had it to do over again knowing what I do now" observation

Here's a comparison of the the H2 & H3 vids in another thread.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #2020
jagged slider
Adventurer

Quote:

Here's a comparison of the the H2 & H3 vids in another thread.
My 10 yr old son concurs with your observations on your link. The H3 pictures are better than the H2's.

Looks like I will be picking up an H3 tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #2021
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,122
Thanks for all the great info here. I was going to go for a 3 Black hopefully at a reduced price on a Boxing day sale. But the concerns posted here caused me to pause. Then I found a 2 at Future Shop's Black Friday event here in Canuckistan- $179.99 plus free shipping. I pulled the trigger. For what I need it for I'm sure it will be more than sufficient.
Thanks all!
"Why do thy think that their rubber is so much more valuable than everybody elses? Is it excised from the whelted buttock of some high ranking supplicant at madam Swartz's House Of Pain? Is it pre-soaked with the quim of alien virgins? Do they hand deliver it and fit it for me whilst plying me with Bolinger and tickling my baw sack with a Dodo feather?"- Bonkers the Dog
squiffynimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #2022
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,651
Hero 2

I missed out on the Future shop deal. Apparently some guys were buying two! Of course as someone who is originally from around Regina I know that you need two to capture all that big sky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Thanks for all the great info here. I was going to go for a 3 Black hopefully at a reduced price on a Boxing day sale. But the concerns posted here caused me to pause. Then I found a 2 at Future Shop's Black Friday event here in Canuckistan- $179.99 plus free shipping. I pulled the trigger. For what I need it for I'm sure it will be more than sufficient.
Thanks all!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #2023
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Took my H3 out yesterday for it's first "real use". Battery is a real problem for sure. Mine also stopped recording video at one point, and for the rest of the day just wrote blank files to the card. I got home and still had 1.5G left on the card. And like 6 empty files. I have a class 10 card so I wouldn't expect this was caused by card not being fast enough, but I'm going to try another card anyway. At any rate, I missed a ton of great single track footage yesterday.

The video quality it great. It was overcast and we were in the trees all day yesterday, and the video is super clear and not grainy at all. Let's hope this update comes out quick. At this point, I'll probably be using the H3 for setup shots only since I can't count on it to just run for an entire ride/trail segment.

If I were you, and you didn't have an H3, I'd wait until this software update comes out. And since this is GoPro, it could take 6 months to get the update.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #2024
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 548
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=84

For the street the Hero3 White ed. works pretty good for me. Here is a link to a sample vid at dusk. 1080p 30fps

MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #2025
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Question: I have the Hero HD and it takes amazingly clear video with excellent sound. When I put vids together using MovieMaker I can make parts slow-mo if I wish. I have no complaints with it.

Is there any reason to get a 2 or 3?