Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #2071
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Good work. Cool song. Your kit sounded really good. Very impressive for a built-in mic on the GP.
THanks! One detail I forgot to mention... I actually blended the GP audio with our studio recording. It's about a 50/50 mix to maintain the "live" feel but just sound a little better. The Gopro audio is awful actually, partially due to the insane decibel level I'm sure. At the end of the song, we played the outro longer than the studio recording, so by the very end it's all GP audio.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #2072
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
THanks! One detail I forgot to mention... I actually blended the GP audio with our studio recording. It's about a 50/50 mix to maintain the "live" feel but just sound a little better. The Gopro audio is awful actually, partially due to the insane decibel level I'm sure. At the end of the song, we played the outro longer than the studio recording, so by the very end it's all GP audio.
Aha! That makes more sense. Your drums sound like at least the toms are going through a decent compressor. I run all mine through individual compressors when playing out, but I know most people don't, so some studio sound makes more sense.

So, you have a MIDI sequencer going live and play to a click? Or was the sequenced stuff I was hearing coming purely from the studio mix?

Definitely thanks for the update, so I won't be expecting my GP (when I get one) to give me that kind of sound.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #2073
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Aha! That makes more sense. Your drums sound like at least the toms are going through a decent compressor. I run all mine through individual compressors when playing out, but I know most people don't, so some studio sound makes more sense.

So, you have a MIDI sequencer going live and play to a click? Or was the sequenced stuff I was hearing coming purely from the studio mix?

Definitely thanks for the update, so I won't be expecting my GP (when I get one) to give me that kind of sound.
I just use a Tama Rhythm Watch as a "click track" when playing live, and using Shure IEM's as headphones (which double as ear plugs). No live tracks or anything (yet).

Normally when I record bands live, I use a Zoom H2 recorder for recording audio. Then I try my darndest to match the audio and video in Movie Maker.

More songs at juneembers.bandcamp.com another shameless plug
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #2074
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
I just use a Tama Rhythm Watch as a "click track" when playing live, and using Shure IEM's as headphones (which double as ear plugs). No live tracks or anything (yet).

Normally when I record bands live, I use a Zoom H2 recorder for recording audio. Then I try my darndest to match the audio and video in Movie Maker.

More songs at juneembers.bandcamp.com another shameless plug
Cool. Rock on, brother!

Totally OT, but I have several sets of custom molded IEMs. They are all single armature and prices ranged from $150 to $350. But, being single armature, they all sound good, but none are truly GREAT. Especially for bass and kick drum. I've been wanting some dual or triple armature, but they are just so dang expensive. And since I moved from FL out here to CA, I haven't joined a new band, so I *really* can't justify the expense. I tried some Beats non-custom, dual armature earbuds the other day that were $150 and they were WAY better audio reproduction than what I'm using.

I Googled "DIY in ear monitors" the other day and the first article to come up is on Instructables and shows step by step how to make your own triple armature, custom molded in-ears for something $170 in parts, plus a few hours of your time. I think I'm going to attempt it soon. If you can do basic soldering, you can do this (or so it appears).

Motorcycle content: the same basic process, without the balanced armature speakers will allow you to make good custom-molded ear plugs for riding, for CHEAP!!! Gonna do that, too, for my g/f and all my local riding buddies.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #2075
StuartV
Motorcyclist

And back to the actual topic at hand....

My brother got a GP3 Black today. Apparently, the Android app is out now, because he sent me a screen shot of his phone running it, with the camera preview on the screen.

He also sent me the Black User's Manual. I read the whole thing and my GAS went from 10 to 11+! I learned that the GP (at least, the 3 Black) has a Burst Mode, a Loop mode, and a Time Lapse mode.

Burst Mode shoots still photos. You can take 10 to 30 photos, spread out over 1 to 3 seconds. I can totally imagine using that as I'm riding along and pass something scenic, but don't want to actually pull over and stop to take a picture.

Loop mode lets you designate an amount of time from 5 minutes, I think, to Memory Full, with many intervals in between, where the camera will record video and when it's recorded for the designated interval, it will progressively record over from the beginning. I can totally imagine using this so that I can just start the video recording at the beginning of an all-day ride. Maybe set it for a 10 or 20 minute interval. Whenever anything "interesting" happens on the ride, at the end of the interesting bit, I stop the recording, so I have captured the last 10 or 20 minutes, and then start recording again to create a new 10 or 20 minute loop. That way my buddy doesn't have to tell me to start recording before he crashes, just to ensure that I catch it on video.

And Time Lapse mode will work even while recording video. Set it for every 10, 20, or maybe even 60 seconds and catch a decent quantity of high quality stills along the way on your ride while recording video at the same time. Assuming this works while also using Loop mode, I can really see using that as my all-day ride normal video mode. As it is, I almost never stop and take any pictures when I'm riding, even though I often go through some really beautiful areas and end up wishing I had stopped to take pictures.

StuartV screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 12:54 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #2076
StuartV
Motorcyclist

My real question now is power to run the camera and the WiFi remote on an all day ride.

Is there any way to rig them both to they are mounted to the bike and powered off the bike, so they can run all day without a battery change? And still be adequately protected from rain and dirt?

It seems like the "standard" answer is that I would need to change memory cards about as often as I'd need to change batteries anyway, so may as well just do both at the same time. But, with Loop and Time Lapse mode, I think I could do an all-day ride without filling up a 64GB card, so running out of battery would really be my only problem.

Also, on a somewhat related note, my brother told me that the WiFi Remote and the Android app both let you see what the GP is pointed at - UNTIL you start recording/taking a picture. While it's recording, neither device gives you the preview of what the GP is pointed at. Lame!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #2077
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Great info. It's sounding better by the post. :-)
For me the big benefit will be to controll the stop start recording from the remote control which I will add to the bars. Most of the time I don't want to record, but will when I get to the good stuff and to be able to press record from the bars and stop recording the same way is a massive benefit to me. I'm touring at the moment and have to keep stopping to take pictures when I see something good. At the moment up in the west coast of Scotland that is every 500 yards :-) so I would never get anywhere if I stopped every time. This trip has confirmed to me that the go pro would be ideal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #2078
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,060
Quote:
Also, on a somewhat related note, my brother told me that the WiFi Remote and the Android app both let you see what the GP is pointed at - UNTIL you start recording/taking a picture. While it's recording, neither device gives you the preview of what the GP is pointed at. Lame!
The Hero 2 still lets you monitor the feed while in video mode.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #2079
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Hero 2 still lets you monitor the feed while in video mode.
Using the Android app with a Hero 2, you can see the video on your phone screen WHILE it's actually recording?

That makes it sound like what my brother is experiencing must be something that will be fixed at some point. That doesn't sound like something they would go backwards on.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #2080
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,060
Quote:
Using the Android app with a Hero 2, you can see the video on your phone screen WHILE it's actually recording?

That makes it sound like what my brother is experiencing must be something that will be fixed at some point. That doesn't sound like something they would go backwards on.
Sorry, should have said I'm using an iPhone.

Just to clarify, I have the Hero 2 and latest version of the iPhone app, and when I'm recording in video mode I do continue to see the live view. I also see the live view when I take a single picture, but I do not see the picture when I select timer or burst mode. I just see "Busy" on the preview screen in the app.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:37 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2081
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Thanks for the clarifcation. Still, good to know that the camera can do it. Again, seems likely they'd still support the same thing with the 3 and thus, should just be a matter of "fixing" the Android app to work like the iPhone app does.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #2082
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Stuart, check this out, they do a splitter for it as well which might be charge both the unit and remote? The link is for a hardwire for the galaxy s3 but they also have them for mini usb etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1609074768...84.m1423.l2649
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2083
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Stuart, check this out, they do a splitter for it as well which might be charge both the unit and remote? The link is for a hardwire for the galaxy s3 but they also have them for mini usb etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1609074768...84.m1423.l2649
Thanks, Nibby. But, I don't know that that accomplishes my goal of having the GP3 camera itself hooked up to power while mounted to my bike and recording. Unless they make a box that holds a GP3.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #2084
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Cool. Rock on, brother!

Totally OT, but I have several sets of custom molded IEMs. They are all single armature and prices ranged from $150 to $350. But, being single armature, they all sound good, but none are truly GREAT. Especially for bass and kick drum. I've been wanting some dual or triple armature, but they are just so dang expensive. And since I moved from FL out here to CA, I haven't joined a new band, so I *really* can't justify the expense. I tried some Beats non-custom, dual armature earbuds the other day that were $150 and they were WAY better audio reproduction than what I'm using.

I Googled "DIY in ear monitors" the other day and the first article to come up is on Instructables and shows step by step how to make your own triple armature, custom molded in-ears for something $170 in parts, plus a few hours of your time. I think I'm going to attempt it soon. If you can do basic soldering, you can do this (or so it appears).

Motorcycle content: the same basic process, without the balanced armature speakers will allow you to make good custom-molded ear plugs for riding, for CHEAP!!! Gonna do that, too, for my g/f and all my local riding buddies.
Check out the Shure SE215, SE315, or SE425. Great for MOTORCYCLING too! (There, I stayed on topic.)

I have the previous generation SCL series, though I can't remember the exact model name. Whether single or dual driver, they're still much better than "consumer electronics" products.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #2085
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Came across this on Amazon....

Steadicam Smoothee
http://www.amazon.com/Steadicam-Smoo...+black+edition

More info here on their web site...
http://www.tiffen.com/steadicam_smoothee_homepage1.html

Check out their video section to see it in action.

This video shows how it works.
http://vimeo.com/23060737

Jon...
Cool item, I noticed that the instructions for using it with a Hero3 state that LCD BacPac required. If not for that I'd buy today but not sure I'm going to use the LCD BacPac for my camera.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote