User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #2086
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
OC,

I suspect it has to do with balance. I'll bet that it's only a matter of sliding the weight a little more up/down or worst case adding a small amount of weight (equal to the LCD) at the rear of the mounting point for the camera.

You could always call or email to confirm, but I'd be surprised it you really need to have the LCD to make it work.

Jon...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #2087
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,266
Update from my brother.

He tried his Black Edition with the Android app (on his phone) and the iOS app (on his wife's iPad 3).

On Android, the app lets you see what the camera is seeing before you start recording, but you cannot see a camera preview WHILE it is recording.

On iOS, the app lets you see what the camera is seeing before AND during recording.

So, hopefully, this is just an issue with the Android app that will be fixed soon.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2088
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
OC,

I suspect it has to do with balance. I'll bet that it's only a matter of sliding the weight a little more up/down or worst case adding a small amount of weight (equal to the LCD) at the rear of the mounting point for the camera.

You could always call or email to confirm, but I'd be surprised it you really need to have the LCD to make it work.

Jon...
I suspect it's just so you can see what you're recording, just like a proper video camera...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #2089
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Ahh, sorry I was really talking about the connectors rather than the box. The connectors which I think you can buy without the box should do the job but although not having seen the GP up close yet I'm presuming that the casing does not have a slot to connect the charger cable.

Not sure how vulnerable it is without the casing or if it's even possible to connect without the casing?

Got to be something out there as it's an obvious addition for bike use to charge from the bike without having to be reliant on battery's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Thanks, Nibby. But, I don't know that that accomplishes my goal of having the GP3 camera itself hooked up to power while mounted to my bike and recording. Unless they make a box that holds a GP3.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #2090
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Just had a look and seen thishttp://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopro-hero-3-frame-mount

Looks like it has a cut out for charging so the previous link and this should allow you to directly charge the camera from the bike?
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #2091
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Just had a look and seen thishttp://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopro-hero-3-frame-mount

Looks like it has a cut out for charging so the previous link and this should allow you to directly charge the camera from the bike?
That frame would let me charge while using on the bike. But, it would provide no protection from rain or flying debris, so I would not consider actually using it on the bike. I suppose if it were a day guaranteed not to rain, and I mounted the GP so it was totally behind the windscreen, it *might* be okay to use that frame. But I doubt I'll spend the money for that frame for that limited of a use case.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #2092
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Ahh, sorry I was really talking about the connectors rather than the box. The connectors which I think you can buy without the box should do the job but although not having seen the GP up close yet I'm presuming that the casing does not have a slot to connect the charger cable.

Not sure how vulnerable it is without the casing or if it's even possible to connect without the casing?

Got to be something out there as it's an obvious addition for bike use to charge from the bike without having to be reliant on battery's??
External Power
I've thought about this a good deal since I also want to film for extended periods. THis is the idea I've been toying around with:

This idea requires that you sacrifice a battery and rear cover, both available seperately AND that you use the rear cover with the openings.

Open up the battery to access the internal wiring, remove the cell, wire directly to the contacts inside of the battery, connect that wiring to a small jack mounted through the battery cover (must lines up with an opening in case's rear cover) Make a cable that would run from a seperate battery to the jack in the rear cover.

I've been watching the mod threads waiting for someone to do this, the advantages I see is it doesn't impact the case with extra holes and the parts that get modified are available seperately. a 64G card could provide up to 4 hrs of filming provided there was enough power. I think you could size a rechargable battery pack that would last 8 hrs.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #2093
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Chris, that sounds promising. Personally, if I were doing that kind of mod, I'd probably rather just rig it to run off bike power, instead of a bigger external battery pack.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #2094
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
remote

Do i need the wifi bacpac and the remote just for the remote feature or will just the remote work on the HD?

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #2095
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
OC,

Jon...
You are right, I checked a link to their Facebook and it had directions that stated the LCD is preferred but it should work without it. We shall see since I ordered one up. Nice thing about taking so long to decide is that the price has dropped in the last few days, now $110 on amazon.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #2096
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Chris, that sounds promising. Personally, if I were doing that kind of mod, I'd probably rather just rig it to run off bike power, instead of a bigger external battery pack.
In the dirt I'd be afraid of ripping out the cabling if I had to bail off, not that I ever do that

Running it off the bike's power would be good for DS riding.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #2097
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Came across this on Amazon....

Steadicam Smoothee
http://www.amazon.com/Steadicam-Smoo...+black+edition

More info here on their web site...
http://www.tiffen.com/steadicam_smoothee_homepage1.html

Check out their video section to see it in action.

This video shows how it works.
http://vimeo.com/23060737

Jon...
Here's a home made steady cam, dude did a great job on it

http://youtu.be/Q5Al5ME2HfE

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #2098
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Here's a home made steady cam, dude did a great job on it

http://youtu.be/Q5Al5ME2HfE
WOW.....he did a nice job! I never thought of using a hime joint/rod end but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for sharing the link,

Jon...
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #2099
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterChaos View Post
You are right, I checked a link to their Facebook and it had directions that stated the LCD is preferred but it should work without it. We shall see since I ordered one up. Nice thing about taking so long to decide is that the price has dropped in the last few days, now $110 on amazon.
Looking forward to what you think of it and seeing some video.

Jon...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #2100
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,068
Boxing Day Door Crasher on the Best Buy web site - Hero 2 Motorsports Edition with Wifi Backpack and Remote for $219 Canadian...

Future Shop has the same deal, for $219, including the WiFi and Remote.

I think I was successful in getting one. Got an order number, anyway.

Edit:

I ordered two GoPros: one from Best Buy (It took me 1.5 hours to order it since the site was constantly giving me server errors).

The second I bought from Future Shop - it was much faster - the order went through immediately!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 07:08 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote