Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #2161
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
On the Hero 2, would the Spot Meter be used at night?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #2162
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
On the Hero 2, would the Spot Meter be used at night?
Presuming the software behind the spot meter functionality is roughly the same in the hero2 and 3, it would depend where the centre of your frame is - the spot meter will weight the exposure metering to the centre whereas if it's off it will use an overall matrix approach to determine the best exposure for the whole frame.

If your camera is mounted so your headlamp beam is centred in the frame, the rest of the frame will likely be too dark - but if it's centred away from the headlamp beam, where the light falls will be blown out but the rest of the shot will be brighter...

The spot meter is best used in daylight in my opinion where you want the exposure to be correct for whatever is centred (your face, a mate that you're filming, etc).

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #2163
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. The book they send with the unit must come from Touratech because it does a terrible job of explaining what different settings do. Protune is another example.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #2164
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I see the Remote Accessories Kit is now available, including the handlebar mount for the remote control:

Where have you seen this for sale?
AFAIK its only pre-order atm
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #2165
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Thanks. The book they send with the unit must come from Touratech because it does a terrible job of explaining what different settings do. Protune is another example.
In Protune mode the camera will record at its maximum bit rate so you end up with the highest possible quality video, but it also switches off the internal filtering so your video will appear flat in colour (not punchy/saturated like normal) - the intent is that this raw footage will be enhanced as the editor wishes in high end editing software like Pinnacle, Final Cut Pro, Premier etc. If you're using iMovie, Premier Elements etc leave off Protune.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #2166
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`Bollox View Post
Have you tried GoPro's website? It's showing in stock (in Europe at least)...

Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #2167
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`Bollox View Post
Click the image in my post. That takes you to the US site where the kit is listed as available.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #2168
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Speaking of the GoPro site, I was looking in the "Shop by Activity" section and noticed that no matter what activity you choose they only recommend the "Black" edition.

It's a little disappointing that the folks at GoPro do not feel the "White" or "Silver" versions of the Hero3 are worth purchasing.

Jon...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2169
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
In Protune mode the camera will record at its maximum bit rate so you end up with the highest possible quality video, but it also switches off the internal filtering so your video will appear flat in colour (not punchy/saturated like normal) - the intent is that this raw footage will be enhanced as the editor wishes in high end editing software like Pinnacle, Final Cut Pro, Premier etc. If you're using iMovie, Premier Elements etc leave off Protune.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2170
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 752
I just got a hero 3 [black]today as a birthday gift from my wife.
I just ordered an sd card [sucks that they dont come with at least a small one.
I started setting it up with a 2 gb card I had but I stopped when I figured out that I will have to do it over again when I get the new card and the one I have wont support anything cool anyway.[need class 10]
this should be cool, I have the remote so I am looking forward to being able to turn it on and take burst photos from helmet mount.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2171
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
@duffs & @Emmbeedee
Cheers guys for replies, I`ve been waiting for the accesory kit to be released, so now I can get 1 ordered up
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #2172
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Not sure when it happened but there was an update to the WiFi BacPac when I plugged it in this morning to Cineform Studio. Version 3.4.1 is the latest.

No idea what was changed or fixed in the update. There was no change log that I could find.

Edit: there's also an update to the Hero 2.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #2173
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
You got a manual? I got a link to a PDF that didn't explain ProTune. At all.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #2174
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
GoPro Silver

I had reviewed virtually every video about the Hero 3 at YouTube and found that I really didn't feel the audio quality had improved at all with the new H3 cameras. I have a high frequency hearing loss, so I am perhaps not the best person when it comes to saying what good audio quality is, but to me, these cameras seemed to have a very muffled sound to them. I ordered a 90-degree adaptor from Talkie Tech and got a flexible mic off ebay to use. I also ordered The Frame housing and a 3.5 mic adaptor from GoPro at the same time. The Talkie Tech adaptor came in and I was anxious to try it out. However, the clear case housing by
GoPro for the Silver Editon H3 didn't have an opening for inserting the adaptor through the case and into the correct hub for external mic use. Well, when The Frame arrived, I found that it would allow the GoPro mic adaptor to be used, but the Talkie Tech adaptor would not insert into the opening on The Frame, due to the width of the opening being too small for the 90-degree adaptor to slip inside and be plugged into the hub there.

I am surprised that GoPro didn't manufacture a skeleton housing for the new cameras and I sure hope they have one in the mill soon. I can modify The Frame opening to allow for this, but who wants to modify a new housing like that after paying for it new? There are some potential problems with using The Frame, as the lense is basically unprotected and there is a high probablity that wind noise will be increased. I swapped out the skeletol backing plate off my old Hero 960, that has a micover/stickover (dead cat) already attached to it (This swap is easy and works well). This may help improve any wind condition problems with audio, but in reality, the best fix is really for GoPro to get on the ball and make a clear skeleton housing like they did with the H2's. Anyone know if they are going to do this?

Any rate, I really have not played about with my GoPro Silver, as my rig is currently being remodeled in a Dog Taxi theme and I have not been out riding to enjoy shooting any video. I am hoping that the audio will improve by the use of my external mic and the adaptor line. I have my GoPro setup on a stedicam at present, but have to remove it and add The Frame and then rebalance the thing.

Audio quality is one issue with the new Hero 3's. I am hoping the fix for that is not all that difficult. I have several different mics and even the Zoom to check out, as to any audio improvements.

Random photos if they load:

IMG_4869 by coupe1942, on Flickr

IMG_4862 by coupe1942, on Flickr

IMG_4864 by coupe1942, on Flickr

IMG_4865 by coupe1942, on Flickr

IMG_4866 by coupe1942, on Flickr

IMG_4879 by coupe1942, on Flickr

As a tip only: When using The Frame, your going to have to remove that cheesy little rubber door from the port housing. It is very small and can easily be lost. Put it somewhere secure and don't forget it, but there is no place to store it when not in use and The Frame is being used. Extra rubber covers are maybe about $12 bucks at Best Buy or GoPro, but they are worth picking up as backup pieces to have in your kit.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #2175
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Does anyone have any clue as to why a Black Edition with a new Class 10 micro sd would only record 13-22 seconds of video at a time before the camera stops recording?

Any suggestions for a fix?
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote