Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #2221
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Here is a clip that I shot today with my GoPro Silver on my ballcap mount. I was actually just testing the audio with an external flexi-mic and not really trying to capture wonderful video of the ride, itself. It was a pretty boring trip, but you can judge for yourself as to the quality of the external mic in this setup vs the stock mic of the GoPro. I like it better, myself. This mount is somewhat similar to The Frame, in that the camera is not inside the clear housing. What you hear is what you get. The video was shot in One Button Mode, too. The idle chatter by my wife and I was in a normal tone of voice. I didn't hear any rattle, buzzing or any real external cabin noise problems in the audio, myself. I do feel the audio is improved with the external mic and using the GoPro e.5 mm mic adaptor setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkzJmNhRwR4

Sorry, but for some reason, I can't seem to embed video here and have to link it in this manner. Ordinarily I would shoot cabin shots using a roll bar mount, but just testing my ballcap mount in this video.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2222
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Thinking of getting a Go Pro. How many hours of recording time do you get from a 32GB card? a 64 card? Do they both work equally well in the camera? Thanks,
On a standard Hero HD, I get 5hrs on a 16Gb card at 720p 25fps.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #2223
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
coupe1942,

Thanks for taking the time to post the test. I agree about the external mic. Every video I've watch that included the use of an external mic sounds a lot better.

By the way......I got a chuckle from your wife's comment as you got into the car. It reminded me of the reactions I get from my wife when I do things that only a guy would understand

Jon...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #2224
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
It reminded me of the reactions I get from my wife when I do things that only a guy would understand

Jon...
That comment on the GoPro camera thread after 5 lagers is leaving me feeling a little bit dirty!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #2225
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
coupe1942,

Thanks for taking the time to post the test. I agree about the external mic. Every video I've watch that included the use of an external mic sounds a lot better.

By the way......I got a chuckle from your wife's comment as you got into the car. It reminded me of the reactions I get from my wife when I do things that only a guy would understand

Jon...
Her comment was about me paying the hospital bill for her $200 buck insurance deductable the day before. We were both laughing about it when I was asking what I got for my money. She's prety fiesty. :-)

Here is a test from today. Same road and same idle chit chat going on with same occupants of car. Different ballcap camera mount used. I used the GoPro clear plastic housing and the stock mic of the camera. No skeleton back door used. No editing of the audio or video. What you see and hear is what you get. Filmed in One Button Mode. No fat guys were harmed during the making of this video. The audio was no better than using a couple of oatmeal cans and a long piece of string or speaking into an empty oil barrel. GoPro sucks when it ends up being that you really have to invest in an external mic and mic adaptor cord in order to get even minimal audio quality. They missed the mark on audio big time on the H3 camera setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejBLaCMDp4U

The housing was not modified in this test, but I do have a second clear housing that I drilled an elongated hole in the side so that I can insert my mic adaptor cable and use an external mic. The Frame is a really poor piece of crap for filming with, in my opinon. I have much better mount with my old Eye of Mine adaptor unit. It was what was used in my first test of the audio. GoPro is sadly going backwards in some areas. No one likes poor audio quality like the new H3 cameras seem to have.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...

coupe1942 screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:45 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #2226
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
coupe1942,
...........It reminded me of the reactions I get from my wife when I do things that only a guy would understand
Jon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
That comment on the GoPro camera thread after 5 lagers is leaving me feeling a little bit dirty!
Well I'm glad I could be of service

Actually I'm not quite sure what you meant by your comment so I'm taking it as British humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Her comment was about me paying the hospital bill for her $200 buck insurance deductable the day before. We were both laughing about it when I was asking what I got for my money. She's prety fiesty. :-)
I guess I need my hearing checked. I thought (assumed) she was commenting on you climbing into the vehicle with a camera on your head. My wife is also feisty and would have teased me about it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Here is a test from today. Same road and same idle chit chat going on with same occupants of car. Different ballcap camera mount used. I used the GoPro clear plastic housing and the stock mic of the camera. No skeleton back door used. No editing of the audio or video. What you see and hear is what you get. Filmed in One Button Mode. No fat guys were harmed during the making of this video. The audio was no better than using a couple of oatmeal cans and a long piece of string or speaking into an empty oil barrel. GoPro sucks when it ends up being that you really have to invest in an external mic and mic adaptor cord in order to get even minimal audio quality. They missed the mark on audio big time on the H3 camera setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejBLaCMDp4U

The housing was not modified in this test, but I do have a second clear housing that I drilled an elongated hole in the side so that I can insert my mic adaptor cable and use an external mic. The Frame is a really poor piece of crap for filming with, in my opinon. I have much better mount with my old Eye of Mine adaptor unit. It was what was used in my first test of the audio. GoPro is sadly going backwards in some areas. No one likes poor audio quality like the new H3 cameras seem to have.
Yup big difference as expected. I believe the mic in the camera is designed more for sports than voice. But..... I've heard a lot better audio than that especially in an inclosed area. Also if I understand correctly since you did not use the skeleton back door then you had the camera completely inclosed in the clear case. If that's correct, then I would expect voice audio to be very muted.

I have the original HD version so I'm not positive about the H3 but I seem to remember hearing about a setting for audio gain. Someone here should be able to confirm that. Also, I believe GoPro suggests using the skeleton back door in situations that do not require full water proof protection. Which is why a lot of folks will add music to their videos in those situations.

What I do know is compared to the original GoPro's (non-HD) the audio is drastically improved. Still the external mic will always produce the best audio.

I know I made a lot of assumptions in my comments and if I totally missed the point you were making I apologize.

Jon...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #2227
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Well I'm glad I could be of service

Actually I'm not quite sure what you meant by your comment so I'm taking it as British humor.
Well my days of candy grams and fireman strip teases at hen parties are long behind me, fortunately there were no go pros back then!

Only joking, this was a good example of why it's never a good idea to type on forums after several pints of lager and ale!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #2228
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Hahaha.....I hear ya Duffs.....It's all good

Jon...
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #2229
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

External Mic's

Since we are back to the subject of mic's, below is a post I made a few months back that may be of interest to those that have no seen it.

Quote:
Speaking of external mic's, this video is what convinced me I would like to use an external mic.

I was really impressed by the difference in sound when he unplugs the mic while riding.

At about fast forward to about 2:30 where he switches between internal and external and at about 4:30 he goes into detail of the setup he used.

Jon...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #2230
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExiuU82oos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYlQnAhg0ak

A couple of different tests done today. I believe removal of the back door completely from the housing and then using some small rubber bands to secure the camera into place is a much better option than purchasing The Frame and using it. This makes insertion and removal of the battery much easier, it is much more secure against weather and possible scratch damage of the lens than The Frame is, Less external audio noise or wind noise and if you happened to have modified your housing with a hole for insertion of the audio cable it is even better. It is cheap to do and works well, with no rattle from the camera when in use. This is a cheap alternative to the crappy The Frame case.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #2231
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Coupe,

Thanks for the added testing. I could not tell the difference between the skeleton back and no back door. In both clips I could hear the turn signal when you used them. And obviously it's much better than using the enclosed back which basically cuts out the sound all together.

Without listening again to the video when you had it in the frame, I'd say the audio was the same. And like you said the clear housing does give you more protection for the camera. If it was me I'd just use the skeleton back unless there was a need to protect the camera from the elements. And in that case then an external mic would be the way to go.

Jon...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #2232
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Personally, I like running with the back door completely off of the GoPr housing much better than using The Frame. I have modified one clear hosing with an elongated hole to allow the audio cable to be inserted into the USB hub. The housing is then used with my H3 camera strapped into place with two small rubberbands. This keeps the camera from rattling, but allows easy access to the battery and still protects the lense, which The Frame does not do. I prefer using an external mic with this setup, but it is cheap, as the housing came with my camera. I did purchase a second housing to modify with the elongated opening though. Still, I prefer using this assembly than I do my GoPro The Frame. It is easier to fool with for someone with big, fumbly fingers. One can argue that it may allow dust or mositure inside the camera, but no more than The Frame will and probably less in reality. The setup is shown in several pics of my ballcap camera mount. I shot pics of the modified housing and a stock housing, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930fo...7632754616680/

Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #2233
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Anyone familiar with the cineform studio software? I'm having a bitch of a time converting my raw MP4's into usable avi files. They won't even play in any other player, and within the cineform program, it speeds up the video and theres no sound :/

edit: ok fixed it. Im just stupid, heh.

SteelJM1 screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:08 PM
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #2234
DLRuapuke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hero2 BacPack and Remote - Can I delete as I want or is it last pic/vid or All ?

Not sure of my options with this setup etc
I have the Hero2
I know with the camera its Last pic or vid delete or all ( then formated SD )
Can I use the bacpak and remote to view and delete what I want or does it need to be downloaded / opened via computer then acted upon ?
Have asked at various outlets and not sure is the reply !
Looking to purchase - but may holdfire if this feature aint included
Thanks in advance
Gaz
DLRuapuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #2235
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRuapuke View Post
Not sure of my options with this setup etc
I have the Hero2
I know with the camera its Last pic or vid delete or all ( then formated SD )
Can I use the bacpak and remote to view and delete what I want or does it need to be downloaded / opened via computer then acted upon ?
Have asked at various outlets and not sure is the reply !
Looking to purchase - but may holdfire if this feature aint included
Thanks in advance
Gaz
If you're talking about the remote, then you must mean the WiFi BakPac. Then no, you can't see anything on the card to decide if you want to delete it. Even if you use the iPhone or Android app on your phone as the remote, it still can't show you what's on the card.

If you mean the LCD BakPac, then I don't think the remote connects to that, but I could be wrong. The LCD does play back what's on the card but I've not used one, myself.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:31 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote