Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #2311
Raiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The scandisk ultra cards seemed to be very reliable in all modes but they are only available in 16G for the microSD format plus they are about 2x the price.
I think you mean Sandisk Ultra... and they are available in 32gb and 64 gb cards. Additionally, they are usually some of the cheapest, while Samsung are more expensive.
Raiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #2312
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
I think you mean Sandisk Ultra... and they are available in 32gb and 64 gb cards. Additionally, they are usually some of the cheapest, while Samsung are more expensive.
The scandisk cards that are supposed to be problem free only come in 16G max size and cost almost 2x what the GP recommended cards run. So far the Samsung cards are working perfectly.

Here's the link to the card testing:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/this...es-t12096.html

There's lots of good info on this forum.

I went out on a DS ride yesterday and had the HB3 going, I was able to fill a 32G card up completly running 1080/60 (173min requiring 2 batteries). I was using the Wasabi batteries and they averaged about 85min a battery which is pretty good. I've read about 70min is average for the GP batteries in the H3B. They are available with a 12V charger that I can run off the bike

Zero issues the entire day which is a first for me. All powerup and shutdown was done manually and I was using the Samsung cards.

I also was trying out a polarizing filter, they are a little square piece of plastic that fits in front of the camera lens and behind the protective case. It's supposed to increase contrast and reduce glare. Where we ride the sun is pretty bright (few clouds and 5~10K') so glare is frequently an issue, esp on dusty days. Here's some screen caps of a few lighting conditions using the filter. So far I like the contrast difference, it's a little darker but it seems to take some of the harshness out of the picture. The small picture size in these caps doesn't do it justice, full screen review of the vids look great.

In the shade

Almost directly into the sun

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #2313
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,801
How many times has your camera mount swivelled, and you got a badly framed shot because of it? I found there are lots of 'wrenches' available on eBay and elsewhere but these are cheap, and well made, so I bought two.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #2314
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
just remember, the view on the phone is about 2 seconds or so behind what the camera actually sees. So backup SLOWLY!
Good point!

I noticed this when testing in the house. Was disappointed to see the time delay but can live with it, vs trying to hook the trailer up by myself - that is an exercise in frustration (although I am getting pretty damn good at it).

I bought the remote setup primarily to use to control the camera and to assist with aiming it while we're using it to video rides and my kids horse back riding events, so the backup camera idea is a small added bonus.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #2315
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Chris,

Those shots look great!

I don't remember hearing about a polarizing filter for the GP. Do you have a link?

Jon...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #2316
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How many times has your camera mount swivelled, and you got a badly framed shot because of it? I found there are lots of 'wrenches' available on eBay and elsewhere but these are cheap, and well made, so I bought two.
I like that wrench. Although I've not run into the issue that would sure make it easier to tighten the mount.

Jon...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #2317
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Chris,

Those shots look great!

I don't remember hearing about a polarizing filter for the GP. Do you have a link?
I bought three from here: http://www.polarprofilters.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #2318
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I like that wrench. Although I've not run into the issue that would sure make it easier to tighten the mount.
You're more likely to run into problems if you have a complicated multi segment mount.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #2319
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I bought three from here: http://www.polarprofilters.com/
Thanks

Quote:
You're more likely to run into problems if you have a complicated multi segment mount.
That makes sense.

Jon...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #2320
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

So my brain has exploded before i finished reading all the info at the link regarding cards.

Question...

What size card would be needed to record at the highest definition the H3 black can record where the card fills up just before the battery runs out?

Thanks,

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:23 AM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2321
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
So my brain has exploded before i finished reading all the info at the link regarding cards.

Question...

What size card would be needed to record at the highest definition the H3 black can record where the card fills up just before the battery runs out?

Thanks,

Jon...
The trouble free card is the scandisk extrememe pro, available up to a max of 16GB sixe. This is the one that's 2x the cost. This card will be somewhat close to a battery's length at the very upper resolutions. For filming on the bike (and posting to YT) the upper resolutions are a waste IMO, 1080P is as big as YT will display and the files sizes quickly become unwieldy. Plus ya better have a smokin hot system, takes some serious HP to compile those resolutions.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #2322
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:

Why not just use a Phillips screwdriver to tighten the mount? Seem like an unnecessary tool to me.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #2323
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Chris,

I forgot the H3 Black would record over 1080P which is the highest I would probably record anyway.

Jon...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #2324
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Why not just use a Phillips screwdriver to tighten the mount? Seem like an unnecessary tool to me.
This would be a little safer than a Phillips screwdriver in your pocket.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2325
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Thanks Chris,

I forgot the H3 Black would record over 1080P which is the highest I would probably record anyway.

Jon...
The samsung cards have worked well for me at 1080/60 and they're allot cheaper than the gucci scandisk cards.

I run the camera mounts pretty tight, it ocassionally gets knocked off aim but i takes a really good hit to do it. I just tweak it back in place without loosening it. The only time I loosen the mounts is to set it up for a different helmet. I did a little trick, after correctly aiming the cam facing forward, I removed it, attached an unused curved mount then had someone attach the cam and mount to the opposite side of the helmet facing backwards. If you do it right, you can switch views w/o reaiming the cam, just swap it to the otherside. Makes for some cool vids.