Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #2386
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I really don't understand now. I thought the Hero 3 is smaller than the Hero 2. So, is the Original battery bacpac an accessory that's made specifically for the Hero 3? I was assuming, from the name and it's location in the menu on the GoPro website, that it was made for an older model camera than the Hero 3.
The original battery bacpac (the one I have) was meant for the Hero HD (and probably the earlier cameras as well). The backs it comes with fit the front half of the Hero3 case. It all goes together perfectly and the Hero3 detects the extra battery and changes it's battery display accordingly (I can post pics later).

The black bacpacs for the Hero3 are the same size, same connectors. The differences (AFAIK) are that it has a non-removable battery and LED indicator lights that match the Hero3.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #2387
crewwolfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey all. Looking to purchase a Hero 3 Silver or Black. 33% price increase is substantial, and while it may be worth it to some, wondering if it would be for me. From my research, the Silver is basically a Hero2 with wifi (which is fantastic).

Is the quality difference night-and-day, or will I be fine with a silver? Looking to use it for dash camming, some mud/obstacle racing, and general mischief. Would I have to be a pro to really get out of the Black that which I cannot do with the Silver? I'd be willing to hold out for the Black, but funds are tight and whatnot.

Thanks!
crewwolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #2388
InDenial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Have Hero 3 Black. The video plays fine on computer. When I insert it to a Power Point presentation it is slow, pauses, and sometimes shows the opeing view for a second. Why? And how do I correct it? Thanks
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #2389
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Wow.
I mounted one to the top of an old helmet with the lacquer coming off and it stuck well enough to pull a mate off his bike when the GoPro caught in a branch...
Ouch.....that hurts just thinking about getting pulled off a bike that way.

Jon...
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #2390
crewwolfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Have Hero 3 Black. The video plays fine on computer. When I insert it to a Power Point presentation it is slow, pauses, and sometimes shows the opeing view for a second. Why? And how do I correct it? Thanks
This isn't a gopro specific issue, but rather a powerpoint issue. The video is likely too large, or the computer used to display it too slow. It seems there's always someone on here that has an answer, but you're probably better off hitting a powerpoint specific forum or helpline.

That said, compress the video further and/or try on a different computer.
crewwolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #2391
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Just a guess since I never used PowerPoint to play a video, but maybe uses it's own video player (or codec's) to play videos instead of the default player on the computer that the presentation is being viewed on ?????

Have you tried saving the video in a different format or resolution before importing it into PowerPoint? Maybe that would work.

Jon...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #2392
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I bought the Hero 3 about 5 weeks ago and I like being able to make little "webisodes" of long weekend rides to have something to look back on.

The problems I'm having over the last couple rides is the wifi stops working with both the remote control and the iPhone app. It'll work fine with the remote for maybe 5 or 6 shoots then the remote will start a shoot but can't stop it. After that happens, the only thing the remote will do is turn the GoPro on (after I've turned it on manually) and start a shoot after which it will not be able to stop it. The weird thing is, I go into the GoPro menu to enable the wifi remote control and the wifi stays off; at this point, the remote won't work at all. The only way I can get it to synch up again is by connecting it to my Mac. I'm going to reinstall the software on the GoPro again seeing as it worked fine for the first 4 weeks.

Other than that, it shoots nice video for such a small unit. We just need GoPro to keep ironing out the kinks in the software.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #2393
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Almost lost mine today.

Ever since I almost lost my GPII a few weeks ago, I wondered how to get the same kind of view but use better mount components so I went to RAM components and made this up: I mounted a base to my forks and will be running the camera from there for some variety.

The thing I like about this is I can point the camera in a bunch of different directions, facing forward, down towards the wheel, back. Whatever I feel like trying.

This is the base I used, on a modified reflector bracket.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #2394
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I really like this new mount system.

Here's a couple of examples of angles I can get with it:

Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #2395
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Remote starts but doesn't stop.

I was having the exact same problem. Did the latest firmware update that came out a few days ago and seems better. Will have to test it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
I bought the Hero 3 about 5 weeks ago and I like being able to make little "webisodes" of long weekend rides to have something to look back on.

The problems I'm having over the last couple rides is the wifi stops working with both the remote control and the iPhone app. It'll work fine with the remote for maybe 5 or 6 shoots then the remote will start a shoot but can't stop it. After that happens, the only thing the remote will do is turn the GoPro on (after I've turned it on manually) and start a shoot after which it will not be able to stop it. The weird thing is, I go into the GoPro menu to enable the wifi remote control and the wifi stays off; at this point, the remote won't work at all. The only way I can get it to synch up again is by connecting it to my Mac. I'm going to reinstall the software on the GoPro again seeing as it worked fine for the first 4 weeks.

Other than that, it shoots nice video for such a small unit. We just need GoPro to keep ironing out the kinks in the software.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #2396
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Here's a quick video of how the fork mount works on my DR.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 04:23 AM
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #2397
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
GoPro on helmet

I mounted my GP on my helmet on my trip to Alaska and set it to take stills. I have 950 pictures of my gas tank. Anyone need a free picture of my gas tank?
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #2398
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
free pics

Is it a nice gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
I mounted my GP on my helmet on my trip to Alaska and set it to take stills. I have 950 pictures of my gas tank. Anyone need a free picture of my gas tank?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #2399
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Only if it grows breasts.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #2400
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Is it a nice gas tank?
For the first hundred or so pics. Then it gets a little boring.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote