Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmracer
It looks very compressed amirite? The samples on their site and on Vimeo look much cleaner. Sweet ride btw
Not sure what amirite means. Vimeo compresses whatever you send them, as does Youtube. Looks great on my 60" plasma at 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
Does it have the standard camera mount at the bottom? Like most any camera has? It seems it doesn't ...
It has a proprietary mount, but you can buy an adaptor for a standard tripod mount.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Ive been playing with one for a couple weeks now. Pretty good unit, but very basic. No adjustments for Exposure or White balance. The website sample videos are shot in bright daylight, which is why they look so good. The performance in artificial or low light is relatively poor, but no surprise given the tiny sensor it has (and is the same as the SD unit).
Where it excels is the wide field of view. Advertised at 170, matching this with a std cam would be difficult and expensive. The distortion is pretty reasonable too. This huge field allows you to get by pretty well without a screen or viewfinder. Usually you end up including too much rather than missing your target. There is no tripod mount, but you can buy one separately from gopro. The housing seems reasonably good quality, but Id be careful with maintenance if you were to use it underwater. 60 meters seems to me a pretty generous depth rating given the housing construction. One disappointment, is that the domed lens sticks out unprotected and will definitely get scratched, but they do sell replacements.

I use Final Cut for editing and the file structure the cam creates does not allow for the Log and Transfer action, you need to import the files. Also, as far as i can tell, final cut still does not support 60p, and will not allow you to import the sequences shot in 60p. I have had success exporting from these files from Quicktime as a .mov with the settings set manually to 60fps and then importing that file to FCP, but ive yet to determine if it retains the 60p.

greenthumb screwed with this post 12-25-2009 at 05:34 PM
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Something else, what does one do with the HD content? I suppose you need a blu-ray burner which is currently big bucks. You're saying you can burn HD content on a regular DVD-R?
You can burn in a format known as HDDVD using Compressor (a component of Final Cut) and maybe others, and fit 30 minutes of HD on a std dvd. Ive yet to see a std dvd player support it and im unsure whether a Blu-ray would.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
Does it have the standard camera mount at the bottom? Like most any camera has? It seems it doesn't ...
Nope, it's an option. $5 or $10 on the website

The video posted above has artifacts (horizontal tearing) due to what I assume to be a rigid mount (high frequency vibration). So far I've seen no tearing with a human mount.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
What new mall would that be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J
I was at the new mall in Calgary and there was a little KIOSK selling them. The parent company is fusionracing.com (http://fusionracing.com/index1.html). $369.

Wes

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #21
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,779
I wanted to buy the original GOPRO , but found out a HD version was in the works, so I waited. Now I'm all set to pull the trigger but see they are going to offer a remote control & wireless mic option in the near future. Still waiting to find out if the current HD version is going to be compatible.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #22
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
What new mall would that be
Guessing it would be Cross Iron @ Balzac.

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erda
Guessing it would be Cross Iron @ Balzac.
It's actually spelled Ball-sack

Yup, thats the one.

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
Here is a sample (2.5 min) shot in 720p. I'll be glad to answer questions.

http://vimeo.com/7878885
Nice, but I can see artifacts in the video. If you look closely at the vid in full screen mode, about halfway up the frame, you can see a band several hundred pixels high (or so) moving up and down slightly. I have seen two explanations for this; one is the memory card not being fast enough, another is the engine electronics interfering with the cam. I am betting from your mounting near the engine that it was the electronics - there is nothing like 60 to 120KV firing at 5K RPM to interfere with solid state electronics.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #25
TheMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb
One disappointment, is that the domed lens sticks out unprotected and will definitely get scratched, but they do sell replacements.
In my first 24hrs I scratched my HD's lense when the RC car it was mounted on flipped on tarmac. For the 20th time .

I'm not well-experienced in video cams, but I will say I'm very pleased with my Hero HD's results. But I'm just pointing and shooting w.little demand beyond attaching to things and recording.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I have the non-hd version and used one of the flat mounts to screw to an arm i built that screws to the top of my clutch master cyclinder . Have it a little ways behind my windshield , but with wide angle of camera , the edge of windshield is on outside corner of picture . Camera is just above my mirror , slightly ahead , so it is easy to get to the top button . I use it on my street bike , and it has been pretty good . Bright sunlight is best , been looking for some software to edit the lighting to see if i can lighten pictures / video without losing to much . I actually use mine in 3 shot mode often , beats the heck out of trying to dig out regular camera . Even the lithium batterys lose the juice fairly quickly when riding in cooler temps . Tip , keep a second set of batterys in shirt pocket , ready for a quick change out . Don't know what the wind chill to batterys was on a little 156 mile ride on the 28th , temp was between 30 -36 , running around 60-80 mph . Lithium made it half way , rechargables did the rest . Have fun , highly recommend the 3 shot mode , standard camera will take about 1,600 pics on 2 gig card .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z
I have the non-hd version and used one of the flat mounts to screw to an arm i built that screws to the top of my clutch master cyclinder . Have it a little ways behind my windshield , but with wide angle of camera , the edge of windshield is on outside corner of picture . Camera is just above my mirror , slightly ahead , so it is easy to get to the top button . I use it on my street bike , and it has been pretty good . Bright sunlight is best , been looking for some software to edit the lighting to see if i can lighten pictures / video without losing to much . I actually use mine in 3 shot mode often , beats the heck out of trying to dig out regular camera . Even the lithium batterys lose the juice fairly quickly when riding in cooler temps . Tip , keep a second set of batterys in shirt pocket , ready for a quick change out . Don't know what the wind chill to batterys was on a little 156 mile ride on the 28th , temp was between 30 -36 , running around 60-80 mph . Lithium made it half way , rechargables did the rest . Have fun , highly recommend the 3 shot mode , standard camera will take about 1,600 pics on 2 gig card .
Yo. GrampZ. Every get pics like this? Late afternoon so light was not the best but the CMOS rolling shutter of my GoPro non HD, non wide 5mp gave me these when I had it in 'pic every 2 secs' mode. I'm posting this one as it has the greatest number of vertical and straight lines, showing the effects of the CMOS rolling shutter. Check that contrail in the sky ! and the telephone poles

Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Yo. GrampZ. Every get pics like this? Late afternoon so light was not the best but the CMOS rolling shutter of my GoPro non HD, non wide 5mp gave me these when I had it in 'pic every 2 secs' mode. I'm posting this one as it has the greatest number of vertical and straight lines, showing the effects of the CMOS rolling shutter. Check that contrail in the sky ! and the telephone poles

Definitely due to vibration. I've been searching for an inexpensive anti-vibration mount. Anyone have any ideas? So far I've only found a RC chopper mount...

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
I'm thinking the only way to isolate the vibrations enough for the GoPro I've got is to use a RAM plate of some sort and lay some gel pad or the right kind of foam pad on the plate, then find a way to mount the camera so it kinda "floats" on top of the foam. Maybe just use some bailing wire and one of these. Just add a chunk of neoprene on top of the plate.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #30
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Wow , that looks wild ! No , I guess my 83' Sabre is a little too smooth . I made a little error when changing fork oil , and was taking some video on I-90 at Snowqualmie Pass (typical pass , rough ), when i looked at the video , it was somewhat shaky , but the audio was terrible ! Lets see if I can load a pic of my mount . I'm a noob at all of this , just signed up for Smugmug . Ran out of time , resizing , will try again later , if i have the time . Also , kind of like the effect , the wide angle distortion has , looks like your moving way faster than you are , "sucking trees into your vortex ! LOL
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote