Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #286
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I picked one up at REI today for $229 (boy were they crowded!).

http://www.rei.com/product/794062

Here is the kit that comes with the one they are selling:

The camera of course.

The helmet strap mount

Two curved adhesive mounts

Two flat adhesive mounts

The "head strap" mount

The 3 way pivot arm

The cables.

The waterproof case.

The vented back.

Instructions

Battery.

*NO* memory card.

So this should work for most people - I don't recall what else or what different the 'motor sports" kit includes - handlebar mount? Suction cup mount?
The motor sports unit only has the Suction cup and not the head strap. I paid $50 more from Amazon.com two weeks ago. I had to order a Ram mount from GPScity.com http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gop...-hol-gopr.html to be able to use it. I don't trust the glue pads or suction cup. The ball is made out of plastic so my not hold up for very long.

Now I need to figure out how to edit down the video in order to post.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #287
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhepner
The motor sports unit only has the Suction cup and not the head strap. I paid $50 more from Amazon.com two weeks ago. I had to order a Ram mount from GPScity.com http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-gop...-hol-gopr.html to be able to use it. I don't trust the glue pads or suction cup. The ball is made out of plastic so my not hold up for very long.
I am probably going to use the helmet strap without the vertical strap (the v. strap won't work on any of my helmets) to put the cam right at the peak of the chin-guard. I will probably need to use some double adhesive tape and/or mod one of the mounts, but the strap does work - it has the silicone strips on the inside of the strap to keep it from slipping - a good thought by GoPro.

From what I have read the pads and cups work well, but always use a tether just to be safe.

I need to clean up my house so I can find my spare SD card I bought for this.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #288
paul.miner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I use the suction cup on my helmet, with a tether just in case, but never had it come loose. I think I've had it up to around 140 mph, but at high speeds having it mounted to the side of your helmet will really tug at your head.

The important thing was finding a fairly flat surface to stick the suction cup to. It wouldn't stick properly to parts of the helmet with significant curvature.
paul.miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #289
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

It took some fiddling around because the kit I bought did not come with the 'j-hook' mount, but I got the camera mounted on both helmets. I had been thinking about how to do this for some time, and when I got the cam I decided to go with mounting the cam on the very peak of the chin bar.

For the Klim helmet this was because I don't want the cam to get caught on branches when I am riding off road, and this is the best way to avoid that.

On my street helmet I could not mount the camera on top because it is a flip up face helmet. So it was the side or the front. The problems with the side are the drag at speed and the fact that I have to pick one side or the other which limits the view of the camera if the is something on the opposite side that is interesting.

The other advantage of mounting out front is that the point of view is closer to what I actually see with my eyes and there is no distracting bits of the helmet in view.

We'll see how it works. Eventually I want to get two j-hook mounts and use those instead, but GoPro doesn't sell them individually.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #290
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

BTW, yes, on the Klim, the camera is upside down, and no, the firmware update to record upside down on the HD cam is not released yet. The software I use, iMovie, can easily rotate video so this is not a problem for me. Don't know about you guys stuck with Windows.

I am on the lookout for unused j-hook mounts - anyone got one they want to sell me for $5?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #291
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
Any problems using a class 2 SDHC card with the Go Pro HD? Is a ultra SDHC card worth the extra $?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #292
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Here is my first test of the GoPro Hero HD in R5 mode with a class 4 SD card.

dfhepner screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 10:04 AM
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #293
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
Any problems using a class 2 SDHC card with the Go Pro HD? Is a ultra SDHC card worth the extra $?
You are supposed to use at least class 4, and preferably brand name. I bought a class 6 16 GB Transcend brand SD card last year on Amazon for my Lumix and yesterday I used it in the GP HD without problems.

Sixteen GB will last over two hours - longer than the battery, and is less expensive per GB than 32 GB. Since you would have to change the battery anyway, I don't see any real advantage in getting a 32 GB card for now - unless you are running the cam on USB power, which most do not.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #294
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

So, what do you guys use to blur certain uhhh, portions of frames that you don't want to post on youtube? *cough* speedo showing highly extra-legal speeds *cough*

I am using iMovie on a Mac, but no individual frame editing of this type is in iMovie.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #295
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
So, what do you guys use to blur certain uhhh, portions of frames that you don't want to post on youtube? *cough* speedo showing highly extra-legal speeds *cough*

I am using iMovie on a Mac, but no individual frame editing of this type is in iMovie.
Any of the commercial editing programs should allow you to create a mask and modify the video within. I'm using Magix Movie Edit Pro 16+. Don't know what is available for Mac.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #296
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
Any of the commercial editing programs should allow you to create a mask and modify the video within. I'm using Magix Movie Edit Pro 16+. Don't know what is available for Mac.
I think I will just skip it. Too much trouble. Next time I will just aim the camera higher so it doesn't catch the speedo. Most likely I won't use the camera on the Ducati anyway - thinking of selling it.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #297
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #298
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Nice job! That log hanging out there at 7:58 looks like it might leave a mark if you ran into it. How far from Seattle did you have to go to find those trails?
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #299
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Nice job! That log hanging out there at 7:58 looks like it might leave a mark if you ran into it. How far from Seattle did you have to go to find those trails?
Yeah, lots of stuff like that - even on the roads there are trees down so you have to be careful to not go too fast. I have more video but I am editing it now. I hit a tree with my right bark-buster, and I hit a low hanging tree with my helmet and tore off a fin (it's a Klim) - got video of both.

The riding area I go to is about 40 to 50 miles from Seattle, about 20 miles from where I live. It is a bunch of short trails - the good riders can riders can cover any trail there in just a few minutes or less. As you can see from the vid I am a slow and not very skilled rider - I always slow way down for the hard parts - hard for me anyway. But I have fun, I am getting a little better and getting a in shape a little more each time I ride. Now that the weather is turning I plan to ride more often.

I had the camera in the wrong mode for about the first hour so I didn't record a lot of the trails I went on. Also, last time I deleted files from the cam I forgot to empty the trash so they still took up space on the card and the card got full.

I also need to figure out how to export in 1080p mode from imovie.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #300
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Cry GoPro Audio problem

I took this footage of me riding quads with some family back in Florida Ocala National Forest. From the day about Half the clips are like this, I had a crash where I hit it on the ground last time I used it but I didn't really hit it that hard and for a sports camera I'd expect it to hold up better than that.

I am disappointed with this product and would not recommend it to friends as it really isn't tough enough for dirt bike uses.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK

jamin_mathis screwed with this post 05-25-2010 at 11:40 AM
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote