Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #31
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Vibration is the biggest challenge for these cameras. I have experimented with mounting the camera in various locations:
  • Handlebars had so much vibration it was unwatchable.
  • Helmet was better, but still not ideal, plus all the problems of the picture moving every time I check my rear view mirrors, etc.
  • Mounted to my skid plate / frame is mostly stable image, although the front wheel is always in the picture, and there are artifacts.
  • The chest mount is the most stable image, but the mirrors get in the picture. Wouldn't work on a bike with windscreen.
I have also tried various foams. The camera doesn't weigh enough to compress neoprene. Softer foams can actually increase vibration.

There is a difference between vibration and shock. My GPS is mounted on a Touratech mount with rubber boots to reduce shock. But it still vibrates a lot.

There is a reason why most mid to high-end videocameras have image stabilization. And there is also a reason why professional vehicle-based cameras are stabilized with gyroscopes.

The other solution for video is to fix it in post. A variety of editing programs will apply image stabilization after the fact.

RichardU screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 08:40 AM
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
Yes, it's easy to isolate cameras from vibration, pros have been doing it for years. All you need is one of these:

Might be a little difficult to mount on a helmet, but it's the only way. And attachment to a vibrating and rapidly moving object will result in a vibrating and rapidly moving image.

It's a limitation of the media.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #33
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
IMO the best vids I have seen for cams are on Vimeo - they don't seem to sample down the resolution as bad as any other hosts - although YouTube recently went up to 1080p.

This is a demo I found on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/7996230
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 10:07 AM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #34
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 180
I would suggest trying to make whats known as a 'steady cam' in miniature. if you look at an f800 brake resevior, it is basically the same principal. it consists of a counterweight and the fixed point being between the cam and the weight.
heres a professional and homemade example. much bigger, but scale it down and it should work.

greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
Sure, it will work great. As long as you hold it verrrry steady as you are riding.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Ok bitches. Cropping a short 1080p clip in its native form for download.

Any suggestions on a location to upload?

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
vimeo
Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #38
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Just an FYI for you guys, there is actually a free tool to cut these video files down.

Here it is: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

And if you want to trancode it to something else, say something that a crappleTV will play, use this: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER

Video Shortly.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenboy
vimeo
No transcoding allowed. Vimeo transcodes everything, i want to let people dl a file just how it looks. I'll put it up on my website I guess. I think I have unlimited bandwidth but it's relatively slow.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #40
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Here's a short video including a 3rd gear wheely at 80 kmh, a crash and a donut or 2..... Colors are a bit muted as the lens is dirty from spray from cars.

Please right click and save as

Video

If its brutally slow and someone wants to put it somewhere else for dl, feel free.

Wesley J

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W

Wesley J screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 02:04 PM
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #41
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
[IMG]%5Burl=http://gramp-z.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/RTW-visit/1082443[/IMG] Lets see if my attempt to insert a picture of my GoPro mount works . If you end up with a "post" mount , you could try wrapping a nice bunch of modeling clay around shaft to see if it helps. In machine work , we use it to cut down vibration on thin material , works well . If it makes a difference , then move on to a dense foam collar . I may do a litttle work on this problem , as I think I'll be going to a Wee-Strom this spring . Going from the velvet smooth V-4 , to a twin , I may deal with this problem a little more . Good luck .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #42
Wesley J OP
Hoser

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
LarryB
Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer: 73
Orange thing?

Anyone know what the orange rubber thing that comes with the HD Hero is?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #44
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb
I would suggest trying to make whats known as a 'steady cam' in miniature. if you look at an f800 brake resevior, it is basically the same principal. it consists of a counterweight and the fixed point being between the cam and the weight.
heres a professional and homemade example. much bigger, but scale it down and it should work.
I'm not so sure a steadicam is the answer, even if you could fabricate one. A steadicam is designed to eliminate the ups and downs caused by walking with your camera. The vibrations from the bike are high frequency vibes, the ones you feel in your grip. Just about anything that is secured to the bike is going to have the bike's vibrations transferred. I've thought, perhaps, that if a camera could have a mount on the bottom of the camera that is isolated by rubber or something, it might remove some of the vibes. For example, think of two common screw eyes which are bound together by, say, a rubber band. Pull the two screw eyes apart a bit to flex the rubber band between them and let this absorb the vibes. Build a platform for the camera for it to rest on, keeping it secure with the jig described. Make sense? I may have to draw this up in SketchUp or something.

Ok, here is a quickie, crude SketchUp drawing.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
I have the non-hd version. The HD version definately has some upgrades, especially in the battery.

But regardless of version- this is a fun camera. I have several mounts on my bike, and also on top of the helmet. I interlace the GoPro footage with still shots and video from the other two cameras.

Here is the result...

Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote