Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #526
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
So I've noticed that there's a lot of pixelation when the GoPro is mounted to my helmet and I'm buzzing down the road.. now I'm wondering if the GoPro is getting a lot of buffeting from the wind off the bike and is basically just shaking like crazy...

As you'll see in the footage, when I walk around the quality is superb, like the videos GoPro publishes... so I need to figure something out here..
This distortion is also caused by the fact that most helmet cams these days (including the GoPro) use a CMOS sensor which "scans" the image off the chip instead of taking a "snapshot" of the entire chip like CCD sensors do (like the VIO helmet cam has). This means you can get distortion in a frame because the second half of the frame could have changed slightly by the time the scanning is done. This is especially true if there is a lot of fast movement or you are in a lower light situation where the shutter needs to stay open longer to expose the image correctly (like on a trail in the trees).
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #527
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
I was emulating the intro to boardwalk empire messing around with the frame rates, with mixed results. The main thing I learned was a need to give the time lapse part more recording time and I need and better rider to shot than myself

Heres what I was emulating.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #528
Crotalus64
I Brake For Snakes

Oddometer: 109
nice video jamin. that oktoberfest video was a lot of fun. thanks.
checked out your photo site, nice work!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #529
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Jamin,

Nice video......the time lapse looks good to me. I could tell it was there but it was not over done. Any hints/links on how to do that? I never really got into FX in the past and I think it would be fun to give it a try.

Oh, what helmet is that in the opening shot?

Jon...
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #530
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Jamin.. nice job man. Really shows how versatile the GoPro can be for other video projects than just a helmet cam..

keep them comin'!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #531
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX
Jamin,

Nice video......the time lapse looks good to me. I could tell it was there but it was not over done. Any hints/links on how to do that? I never really got into FX in the past and I think it would be fun to give it a try.

Jon...
Here is a blog entry I wrote about how to do time lapse with the GoPro - http://www.roberttadlock.com/blog/20...opro-hd-c.html

I created a Perl script which does everything for you that you can download from there post as well. Here are a few time lapse vids I've done with the setup:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Let me know if you have any questions about running the script. I can get you up and running in no time.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #532
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis
I was emulating the intro to boardwalk empire messing around with the frame rates, with mixed results. The main thing I learned was a need to give the time lapse part more recording time and I need and better rider to shot than myself
Cool video. I like the time lapse sections, and the vignette effect. Nice opening shot too.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #533
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX
Jamin,

Jon...
Thanks all,

The helmet is a cheap $80 AFX

The way I'm doing it takes a lot of time, I'm sure there must be a program that can do to but I'll tell you how I did it.

step 1 Recored some video with something like clouds or something that would show movement of time

Step 2 With the video in your editing program find the point at which you would like the real speed to resume and work backward from there, cut out one frame and leave 1 frame, cut out 2 frames and leave 1 frame continue cutting out 1 more frame than you did the last time until you reach 30:1 or 60:1 (thats a good speed most of the time) from there just cut out every 60 frames and leave 1.

I'll make a video of the process next time I do it so you can see what I'm talking about.

If you want to just a straight forward time Lapse like the helmet shot set your gopro to P2 that means it will take a photo every 2 seconds when you got it in time lapse mode.

then you can take it in to your editing software and import the photos as frames.

I'm sorry I can't seem to explain it better. Search for time lapse tutorials you'll find something that can explain it better than me.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #534
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Time Lapse

Most editing programs allow you to speed up footage. So if you just roll regular video and then want to "time lapse" it just speed it up say 60x or 600%. That would be the equivalent of shooting a frame ever 2 seconds since there are 30 frames in a second in most cases. Takes no time at all.

Quote:
Thanks all,

The helmet is a cheap $80 AFX

The way I'm doing it takes a lot of time, I'm sure there must be a program that can do to but I'll tell you how I did it.

step 1 Recored some video with something like clouds or something that would show movement of time

Step 2 With the video in your editing program find the point at which you would like the real speed to resume and work backward from there, cut out one frame and leave 1 frame, cut out 2 frames and leave 1 frame continue cutting out 1 more frame than you did the last time until you reach 30:1 or 60:1 (thats a good speed most of the time) from there just cut out every 60 frames and leave 1.

I'll make a video of the process next time I do it so you can see what I'm talking about.

If you want to just a straight forward time Lapse like the helmet shot set your gopro to P2 that means it will take a photo every 2 seconds when you got it in time lapse mode.

then you can take it in to your editing software and import the photos as frames.

I'm sorry I can't seem to explain it better. Search for time lapse tutorials you'll find something that can explain it better than me.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #535
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Most editing programs allow you to speed up footage. So if you just roll regular video and then want to "time lapse" it just speed it up say 60x or 600%. That would be the equivalent of shooting a frame ever 2 seconds since there are 30 frames in a second in most cases. Takes no time at all.
Yeah but that wouldn't give you the transition so it would look sudden and awkward.

I looked it up its called "time remapping" apparently premier cs3 can do it. I only have pinnacle so I had to do it manually

Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #536
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Heres a over the top use of it I found on youtube

Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #537
Motoriley

I see what you are talking about. In the Avid it is called Timewarp and takes about 20 seconds ....you can ramp up and down to any speed including reverse with pauses etc. The software is regularly 2400$ but they have awesome student/teacher pricing at around 300$. Some have even found it on the web for free which makes it really tough to compete with them for work. There is of course a 30 day free trail if want to work with the same program most Holllywood films and TV series are cut with.

Quote:
Yeah but that wouldn't give you the transition so it would look sudden and awkward.

I looked it up its called "time remapping" apparently premier cs3 can do it. I only have pinnacle so I had to do it manually
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #538
Motoriley

Too much of a slow thing

A lot of useless slow mo and speeded up footage here as well.

Awesome Players Ride Sept 19, 2010 from Motoriley on Vimeo.

Quote:
Heres a over the top use of it I found on youtube
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #539
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
for those on mac and editing video I saw it then bought the new ilife it has some killer 1 click effects that would be great for bike related video's.
slow-mo, instant replay and freeze frame with easy editing.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/#one-step
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #540
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Wow....lots of posts. To many to reply to one-by-one so I'll just say.........

Good info and options on the FX stuff

And two thumbs up on writing a perl script to do it rtadlock. The vids did not show up in this thread for me but I checked out your blog and watch the ones you posted there. I'll have to check it out on my days off.

Off topic for GoPro, but on topic for video and editing........

There is some really cool stuff here that was shot with high end Canon DSLR's that I just have to share since I know there are at least two folks here that have really nice cameras.

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/Laforet-Videos

Be sure to check out 'Nocturne' and 'Reverie' and the behind the scene's stuff.

Back on topic.......

After watching that stuff and doing some research, I think I'm going to get a SmugMug account. I don't expect to produce stuff like that but at least SmugMug will not degrade what I do produce like most of the other video hosting places do. So to me it's worth the 60.00 a year. And.....it helps ADVrider at the same time.

Jon...