Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #106
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
Just getting away from the video for a second ...

Can the Go Pro HD shoot pictures? Not just a picture every 2 seconds, a picture like a normal camera would. Press a button, tadam, a pic.

Does anyone have samples of full res pictures? I'm curious to see what the quality looks like ...
Yes, GP cams have a photo function. There are two buttons. One is used to set the "mode" of the camera. If you set that to "camera" mode, the other button is a shutter release button and you take a single photo. If you set it to "shoot every X seconds" mode, then in that case, once your exit from "settings," pushing the shutter release button starts the timer and the camera will take a shot every X seconds (depending on your settings) until you turn it off or it runs out of batteries or runs out of memory card.

You can look at the instructions here: http://www.goprocamera.com/contact

munchmeister screwed with this post 01-31-2010 at 06:40 PM
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #107
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Cool stuff. Are there any photo samples somewhere out there on the interwebs? I just can't seem to find anything other than video samples.
Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #108
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

This gallery contains some shots of my GoPro Hero 5MP, NOT the HD or wide version but I think the sensor is the same in these models. You can judge for yourself. These were taken in some challenging lighting conditions for any camera, going in and out of shadow, late afternoon so there is not a whole lot of light and the mix of shadows and light sky shows some of the limitations of such cameras but, like I said, this would challenge most cameras except newer ones with Active D-Lighting (which is the Nikon version). The camera was mounted on the turn signal stalk of my R1150GS. Some of the shots show some of the effects of vibration on the rolling, CMOS shutter of the GoPros cameras. Like this one. That sign pole on the right is not really that curvy.

Gallery is here:
http://f-rider.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...78093708_593c6
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #109
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Go Pro or go home

The standard GoPro isn't even standard def. Standard def as we see it now on DVD or mini-DV, digital cable etc. is 720x480. The GoPro standard def model records 512x384 which is a totally oddball size. Great for web but not great for anything else. You might as well get the HD and record 848x480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
So I've been shopping for one of these cameras for a while. You guys seems to have a handle on them.

Regarding the HD or SD question. Clearly everything we see on Youtube and the like is compressed, but in the cases we are able to increase the resolution, the video is definitely better.

Does that translate to HD is always better for this type of video? I guess what I mean is if the GoPro HD uses essentially the same 5mp sensor as the SD version, how does the SD version look on your home system?

I have a powerful enough computer and storage is cheap. But is HD worth the $100 difference in price? Are the headaches in processing and burning HD to disk problematic enough to consider SD?

This would only be for casual use and I don't want it to become my life's work... but I do like HD when I can get it...
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #110
dstutz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
@hppyfngy:
5MP is WELL over HD resolution. 1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels or just 2MP. Everyone's favorite wonder movie Avatar was only shot with 2MP cameras.
dstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #111
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Some of the shots show some of the effects of vibration on the rolling, CMOS shutter of the GoPros cameras. Like this one. That sign pole on the right is not really that curvy.

Gallery is here:
http://f-rider.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...78093708_593c6
It's exactly why I wanted to see some samples!

Is the new HD the same? I would kill myself if my pics looked like that ... once you've seen it, you see it everywhere!
Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #112
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Cmos

Any CMOS sensor camera including the new DSLRs are going to exhibit the same issue at speed. Rolling shutter is a pain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Quote:

Is the new HD the same? I would kill myself if my pics looked like that ... once you've seen it, you see it everywhere!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #113
dstutz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

welp...here's a comparison between the original (what zorro posted a pic from) and the new HD. Old cam first, HD starts around 1:45, admittedly with a crap angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh7Flh0gEt0&hd=1

And here's a guy that attached the HD to his car and used the "take a picture every x seconds" and made a movie from that so you can get some idea of the still image quality (The pictures look pretty darn clear to me, you can also see they fixed the black dot in the sun issue from the original camera, seen in the first part of video above):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTUDJTN6vs&hd=1

It's not hard to google around or just search on vimeo/youtube for HD hero media.

Dave
dstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #114
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Durability of GO PRO Mounting hardware

Does anyone have any comments on how tough the plastic arms are that ship with the HD motorsports kits (among others)?

They seem like a pretty hard plastic but was wondering if anyone has had one break on them. I am mounting on a dirtbike so the mount will be abused some.

Speaking of the mount, I have attached an image of my mount that adapts my touratech GPS Mount to accomodate the gopro hardware. Its pretty sweet as long as the plastic holds :).

I have not used the camera for the moto yet but I have used it skiing with a chest harness. I have been VERY pleased with the camera- especially for something of its size and weight. The HD videos are really nice quality, the colors seem pretty good. The battery life was excellent. Was filming every run of the day (turn off on lift) in sub 10 degree (F) temperatures and didnt run out of battery.

I have found that slowing the video down 5-10% while viewing makes the video a lot smoother and seems closer to reality even if it isnt. This might have something to do with the number of movements made when you are skiing really bumpy terrain really quickly.

Talked to GoPro last week. Still no definite word on the BacPacks - spring. I was ordering a second outside case that I can drill some holes into for hardwiring the camera to my motorcycle battery. If you want a second case you have to contact GOPro directly as the part isnt in their catalog yet.

Michael
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #115
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:

You think that is bad? Check these out.

This is the 5MP (not the original 3MP) non-wide version but all use the rolling shutter CMOS sensor. FWIW, yes, all CMOS rolling shutters, even on the newer digital SLRs (e.g. Nikon D90) will do this but you have to take into account the exposure speed. A Nikon will be able to take the exposure at, say, one- one thousandth, while the GP will take it at one thirtieth, for example. The slow shutter speed means the rolling shutter will show those curvy lines. A much higher shutter speed, will not show it as much, especially on the stills pulled from the video. Any video camera with a CMOS rolling shutter, even a Nikon D90, will exhibit the effect (the "jello effect"). Of course, with a video enabled DSLR, your stills will be magnificent compared to a still from the GoPro. But, you can attach the GP to your helmet. Your head might wobble if you attach a D90.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #116
jamier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
You think that is bad? Check these out.
What's wrong with the twisty poles? I would say that is a feature.

You could say "I was going 220 when I snapped this picture..."

What's the percentage of these shots vs. 'good' shots with the GoPro?
Just wondering if you are taking 100 pictures you get 5 great, 20 good, xx wobble.
jamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #117
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier
What's wrong with the twisty poles? I would say that is a feature.

You could say "I was going 220 when I snapped this picture..."

What's the percentage of these shots vs. 'good' shots with the GoPro?
Just wondering if you are taking 100 pictures you get 5 great, 20 good, xx wobble.
Yeah, I could say that. Or that I was in warp drive, approaching the speed of light.

I got this GP for the video, wanting something as simple as possible for on-bike videos. I haul a Nikon D80 with me for stills, ride reports and artsy bits. I've also used an older Sony Handycam, alone, and with a bullet cam attached to the Sony. That rig takes really good video, but it is a MiniDV tape camera, and I just have a hell of a time trying to get it to stream the video on to my computer. So, I decided to go for a GP and make things as simple as possible. To answer your question, the stills from the "pic every 5 secs" mode are all pretty marginal, IMHO. The ones I posted show the wiggly lines clearest. So I don't think that "pic every..." mode is worth much. But I do see improvement in the HD version, from what others have posted. GP has certainly addressed many concerns, e.g., rehargeable battery, better resolution and exposure, a "center weighted" option, etc. I may buy up once they get their accessories in the store, as I would love to see an LCD display.

I got what I bargained for, though, as I've gotten some ride videos and they are about creating a ride report, and memories of my trips.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #118
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstutz
welp...here's a comparison between the original (what zorro posted a pic from) and the new HD. Old cam first, HD starts around 1:45, admittedly with a crap angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh7Flh0gEt0&hd=1

And here's a guy that attached the HD to his car and used the "take a picture every x seconds" and made a movie from that so you can get some idea of the still image quality (The pictures look pretty darn clear to me, you can also see they fixed the black dot in the sun issue from the original camera, seen in the first part of video above):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTUDJTN6vs&hd=1

Dave
Sweet when I get too old to ride bikes I'm buying a cart, thanks for the link
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #119
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Ordered one today. I already have a ContourHD (not 1080p) with the useless mic. Hoping for better results with the GoPro HD.

This means I can have dual cameras on the bike and shoot some interesting angles
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #120
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie
Ordered one today. I already have a ContourHD (not 1080p) with the useless mic. Hoping for better results with the GoPro HD.

This means I can have dual cameras on the bike and shoot some interesting angles
Indeed- when I upgrade cameras I was thinking the same thing. Some interesting possibilities for moviemaking when you have multiple angle possibilities.
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote