Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #1366
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Zorro, unless you are stuck on using the Ram mount with suction cup, you may try out the mirror mod I did by using my GoPro camera and a tripod mount that I purchased at the Eye of Mine website. The video does not show the use of a Velcro tether strap to keep the camera in place on the mirror, but I picked up some thin width velcro at Lowe's, even though the tripod mount comes with some. Their velcro is wider and gets in the way of the led light. This tripod is wonderful with all the applications it can come in handy for. I have used it on tripods, monopods and ski poles, as well as on my DIY dog helmet camera mount. For $14 bucks, plus shipping, it ain't a bad investment.

I happen to prefer 3M Dual Lock tape and I purchase it from the 3M company in their trial bags. 10' of tape goes a long way and is much cheaper than buying from a vendor.

The tripod mount does not show it in the pics in this video, but it has a 1/4" hole in the center for mounting on various camera tripods and such. I happened to have drilled my tripod mount with 1/4" holes to accept set screws. I use the set screws like thum screws to tighten the camera into place and at any angle I wish. This is not a necessary step, but I did do up one of my tripod mounts in this manner.

Any rate, put this mount onto your mirror and turn the mirror over for front shots or keep it located in the normal position for rear shots. The GoPro camera can film upside down, so any position of the mirror should work for you. I have gone at any variance of speed and I have not had major problems with the camera flying off or camera shake.

I don't trust any suction mount, myself. I have used several types in the past, and at some point, all have failed. Be sure to tether your camera for such a failure, too.

Just an idea, but you may check it out by using this type of mount on the mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_P7cLtFp8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59lwsLLJjGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkIM_Ty-FB8

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #1367
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
If you like antique tractors, a little Bluegrass music, and time lapse photography, here's my latest video (my first using the GoPro Hero HD). You can view @ 960x720 by clicking thru to Vimeo:

Speedy's 1928 Farmall Regular Weekend Rebuild Challenge from Laura0107 on Vimeo.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #1368
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

We saw a really big vintage tractor show at Penn's Cave, in PA, about 2 years back. We are headed to the Syrup Festival in Henderson, Tx. on the 12th of this month. They generally have vintage tractors, steam engines and all sorts of interesting vehicles with the same type of patina on them (rust). Looking forward to that show and all the blue grass music and such there, too.

I see the 960 HERO cameras are not down to $149 at Best Buy. I am getting a second one for my birthday this year. I really enjoy this camera and the versitle mounts I have for it.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #1369
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Just bought a HD Hero Camera. How critical is the camera back to have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
We saw a really big vintage tractor show at Penn's Cave, in PA, about 2 years back. We are headed to the Syrup Festival in Henderson, Tx. on the 12th of this month. They generally have vintage tractors, steam engines and all sorts of interesting vehicles with the same type of patina on them (rust). Looking forward to that show and all the blue grass music and such there, too.

I see the 960 HERO cameras are not down to $149 at Best Buy. I am getting a second one for my birthday this year. I really enjoy this camera and the versitle mounts I have for it.
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #1370
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegs View Post
Just bought a HD Hero Camera. How critical is the camera back to have?
The camera back?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #1371
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Bac pac lcd monitor.
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #1372
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bac pac lcd monitor.
I just have the HERO 960 and it does not have a lcd monitor on it. I guess it is really a nicety to have, but I can make do without for the videos I shoot. I guess it means I get more battery time by not having such. I am not so anal on my videos that I spend hours upon hours in video editing for a 5 minute final result. To me, it is not all that important, but for those who love the option and want to do more, it probably is more important.

One tip: I found a tip once on taking a small piece of Scotch tape and folding it back to make a tab for the battery. The battery is near impossible for me to remove from the case with just my fingertips. This mod made it much simpler or easier for me to remove that battery, as needed. I got to thinking about it, and I made the same type of tab of Scotch tape to be put onto the back of my GoPro camera. This makes it really easy to pull out the camera whenever it is mounted to a monopod or some mount that is a bit difficult to remove the camera from when in position. If the mount is extended up high, the tab makes it easy to pull out the camera from the clear plastic case. Works like a champ as something to grab the camera with, and can also keep you from dropping the camera out of the case. Cheap and easy mod to do for a GoPro.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #1373
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Bac pac lcd monitor.
Not critical but very nice to have.

It makes it easier to aim the camera and also allows you to check footage in the field instead of having to wait until you have access to a computer.

It's also is a lot easier to make changes to the camers settings using the LCD than using the little window on the front of the camera.

Jon...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #1374
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Bac pac lcd monitor.

not needed at all if you plan on using it as a helmet cam.

you can eye ball it and check it on the computer later and it might take a few times to get the sweet spot on angles.

as far as editing, the LCD back pack has nothing to do with editing. it's meant for ppl that want to see what their GoPro is recording and for playback on the fly.

and editing isn't hard. just get MovieMaker on your PC or use iMovie on your Mac and trim the ends and add a title and fade in and out and make it enjoyable for others to watch.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #1375
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,548
GoPro case broke!

New case $40
here is my $6.25 fix!

GoRam! :)

Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #1376
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Good idea on the RAM ball.

I've always wondered why GoPro never made the case with a threaded insert in the bottom like you find on cameras these days. It would come in handy at times.

Jon...
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #1377
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 329
They sell a tripod mount that will mount to your GoPro. Another opportunity for them to make a buck or two.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #1378
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
They sell a tripod mount that will mount to your GoPro. Another opportunity for them to make a buck or two.
Well, at least they make one and it's pretty cheap. This is cheaper than getting a new case and cannabalizing it but if you like to tinker with the drills and shit...

This method with purchased parts works well and the RAM parts with a base give a little more support, maybe. And you can use them when you want to mount your DSLR on your helmet. (Better work on those neck muscles. )

Model Number: GTRA30

Part ID: RAM-B-237U - Part ID: RAP-B-366U - Part ID: RAM-B-202A
Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #1379
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah that's true they do offer the tripod mount.

Now that I think about it, the versatility of the current mounting system would not really allow for a tripod mount to be built into the bottom of the case.

I guess that why I'm not a GoPro design engineer and just use the product

Jon...
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #1380
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

If you don't have a couple of the GoPro tripod mounts in your stash of GoPro mounts and parts, then you sure miss a lot of different applications for mounts that can be easily adapted. I use mine all the time in various mounts and DIY mounts that I use with my GoPro. Handy as hell to have a couple of them for use. I use them on my monopod mount, my back pack and pack back mounts, my helmet mount, my mount from Eye of Mine for when the camera is outside the case and many others. For $7 bucks at Best Buy or such, it really pays to pick up a couple of them, I believe. They are probably one of the cheapest parts availble for a stock GoPro camera, but have the most amount of uses if you have any DIY mounts or such to play about with. Like having the extra sets of bolts that attache a GoPro, this mount comes in equally handy to have a spare or two in your camera kit available. This just shows it as an add on for my monopod, that makes the monopod even more handy. Lots of mounts to be adapted with the GoPro tripod mount tip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930fo...7627677030495/